PRAYER POSITIONS

View previous topic View next topic Go down

PRAYER POSITIONS

Post  Waqar Daniel on Tue 11 Mar 2008, 12:27 am

A member sent me an email asking Which is the best Prayer position?.

People pray using various physical positions:

• laying flat on the floor, face down, with hands stretched out (also known as 'prostrate');
  • standing, hands raised and spread, palms up, looking upward;
  • sitting, head bowed, eyes closed, hands folded (the most common position today);
  • kneeling, head bowed, hands folded;
  • kneeling, head to the ground, hands face down on ground next to head;
  • standing, eyes forward, facing the altar;
  • sitting in lotus position, eyes closed, hands in front, palms up;
  • laying flat on the floor, face up, palms up;
  • slow leisurely walking (or sitting), eyes open, in a place where one can safely pay very little attention to where one is going.

However, each position has a different meaning and I will try to explain each position:

Standing with hands raised is typical of praise, celebrative prayer, and thanks-giving.

Kneeling and prostration show humility and surrender before God Almighty, recognizing Him to be superior. This is best suited for prayers of confession, repentance, or awe. Like David prayed to God when he sinned against Him.

Standing facing the altar is part of an act of worship with other people who are also worshipping. Other positions have been used, too; for example, Elijah crouched low to the ground and put his face between his knees.

The Jesus Prayer

The idea of breathing prayer came out of Luke 18:13. The prayer itself goes like this : "Lord Jesus Christ" (while breathing in), "have mercy on me, a sinner" (while breathing out).

Remember
    Prayer is not about positions, prayer comes straight from our heart. If you need to learn how to pray and what to pray, simply ask God to teach you through Holy Spirit how to pray in spirit, so that you can become one in spirit with heavenly Father. No one can teach you how to pray, the best teacher is God Himself.

Key to Prayer
    Pray without ceasingly and ask for spiritual things first. Use your body, spirit and soul to serve Heavenly Father. Do not be dismayed if your prayer is not answered, God knows what is best for us and He always gives us the best. We only understand it when we look back in our lives. Rely on Heavenly Father's will and not yours.

God bless all

• _________________

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the LORD Jesus Christ. (Philemon 1:3)

Waqar Daniel
    Administrator

Mood: I feel Blessed
    Male

Number of posts: 2729
    Profession: Consultant
    Hobbies: Long drives, Gospel music, Bible study
    Marital Status: Married
    Registration date: 2007-06-25

Warning:

View user profile http://christian-talk.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Prayer Positions

Post  Terry L Brown on Tue 11 Mar 2008, 2:04 am

This portion of Daniel's reply needs to be repeated:

"Remember
    Prayer is not about positions, prayer comes straight from our heart. If you need to learn how to pray and what to pray, simply ask God to teach you through Holy Spirit how to pray in spirit, so that you can become one in spirit with heavenly Father. No one can teach you how to pray, the best teacher is God Himself."

A little boy was once misbehaving. His mother told him to sit down. At first he refused, being willfully defiant. But when the little boy realized his mother meant business he angrily sat down. He crossed his arms while sitting in the chair and glared at his mother. He said, "I may be sitting down on the outside, but I'm standing up on the inside." So, did his physical position reveal his heart. No. He was still defying his mother.

So it is with prayer. The position of our bodies is secondary to the "position" of our spirits and souls. Years ago a woman once asked me if God preferred one prayer position or not. I replied, "God does not care if you stand on your head in the corner of the room and pray as long as your spirit is bowed before Him in reverence." (By the way I don't recommend standing on your head! That's not the point of what I'm saying.)

When you pray to the Father come with a humble and thankful heart for this is what He looks at first.

Blessings,

Terry L. Brown

Last edited by Terry L Brown on Fri 14 Mar 2008, 2:03 am; edited 1 time in total

Terry L Brown
    Christian Talk Moderators

Male

Number of posts: 18
    Marital Status: Still Looking
    Registration date: 2008-02-10

Warning:

View user profile http://www.whispersofthespirit.com

Back to top Go down

Re: PRAYER POSITIONS

Post  ChristianLady on Tue 11 Mar 2008, 2:20 am

Terry wrote:God does care if you stand on your head in the corner of the room and prayer as long as your spirit is bowed before Him in reverence." (By the way I don't recommend standing on your head! That's not the point of what I'm saying.)

Mad Laughing Rolling Eyes Thank you Terry for such a hilarious remark and thank you also for making it clear, otherwise I would have prayed that way. Arrow upside down.

I agree that position and fancy words do not count anything if we are not submissive to God. I have added fancy words to the position. What counts in our prayers in our connection to God through Spirit. The article was informative but your comments Terry, have made it wonderful.

God bless you both and all the members

ChristianLady
    Christian Talk Member

Female

Number of posts: 238
    Registration date: 2007-07-16

Warning:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: PRAYER POSITIONS

Post  walkinginJesus on Tue 11 Mar 2008, 2:32 am

I say position also counts a lot. In olden times positions showed the condition of a prayee. I would say both are important. Anyways personal choice and no hard and fast rule.

In Christ

walkinginJesus
    Christian Talk Member

Female

Number of posts: 36
    Registration date: 2007-07-16

Warning:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top