Christian Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Was Jesus Poor or Rich?

+5
angel555
spiritfilled
WordofLife
dove
palmtree
9 posters

Go down

Was Jesus Poor or Rich? Empty Was Jesus Poor or Rich?

Post  palmtree Sun 06 Apr 2008, 2:02 am

I have been perplexed by the preaching of Pastors. Some say that Jesus lived a poor life and yet some say He was rich as Judas was His accountant. Will you please help me by quoting a verse from the Bible that shows that He was rich.

God bless
palmtree
palmtree
Christian Talk Member

Mood : I feel Blessed
Female

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2007-07-16

Warning : Was Jesus Poor or Rich? 110

Back to top Go down

Was Jesus Poor or Rich? Empty Re: Was Jesus Poor or Rich?

Post  dove Sun 06 Apr 2008, 2:22 am

Palmtree does it really matters whether Jesus lived a poor or a rich life? The only thing that matters is that we accept Jesus as our Savior and live according to His commandments.

God bless you
dove
dove
Christian Talk Member

Female

Number of posts : 246
Marital Status : Still Looking
Registration date : 2007-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post  WordofLife Sun 06 Apr 2008, 2:29 am

I agree with you Dove that whatever Pastors say, it makes no difference as we have to follow Jesus. I agree that some say that Jesus was rich and I also believe in that. He is the son of the Creator, so when He can bless 2 loaves and 5 fish and feed thousands, would He go without anything He needs or Hid disciples need? So to me He was rich as He is the owner of everything.

In Christ
WordofLife
WordofLife
Christian Talk Member

Male

Number of posts : 127

Back to top Go down

Post  spiritfilled Sun 06 Apr 2008, 7:08 am

I do not think so that Jesus was rich. The reasons are:

Jesus was born in a stable (his parents knew the approximate time of his birth so they could have reserved a place, God could have made sure he had a room) but it was to be in a stable, a cave. Lk.2:22-24 Mary sacrifices two turtle doves which is a poor households sacrifice (Lev.12:2-8).Why did Mary in her praise say “He has filled the hungry with good things and the rich he has sent away empty.”
In Luke 2:22-24, Jesus is taken to the Temple by his mother a poor families sacrifice is made -two pigeons (according to Leviticus 12:8.) If they had been rich as the prosperity teachers claim they would have had to make a larger sacrifice. If they did not and were rich they broke the law.

Matt. 11:7-8; Lk. 7:25 "As they departed, Jesus began to say to the multitudes concerning John: "What did you go out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken by the wind?" But what did you go out to see? A man clothed in soft garments? Indeed those who are gorgeously appareled and live in luxury are in kings' courts." Neither John or Jesus dressed as those who show God's blessings today with thousand dollar suits and shoes. Why does Jesus' cousin John wear such bad clothing while Jesus is walking around in expensive clothing (a seamless garment), didn’t He share?

Matt. 8:19-20: "Then a certain scribe came and said to Him, "Teacher, I will follow You wherever You go." And Jesus said to him, "Foxes have holes and birds of the air have nests, but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay His head." Jesus himself he had no place to lay his head, no permanent home, he constantly traveled. He dressed like everyone else, he even said to forsake this world to inherit his kingdom. His kingdom is not of this world and he made it perfectly clear in His teachings. Some seem to think that Moses may have gotten it all wrong to have forsaken the riches and pleasures of Egypt and suffer affliction with his brethren looking by faith to him who is invisible." (Heb.11:24-27). He didn't have to, he could have had the best of both worlds.

The rich young ruler came to Jesus and he responded by telling to him to give all his riches to the poor and follow him. Was Jesus telling him to rid himself of riches while he actually possessed them Himself? Would he ask someone to do something he himself would not?

He was buried in another mans tomb, a rich mans. If he was rich or his family, they would have buried him in his own family tomb. But this again proves that He had no money for this. Neither did his family nor the apostles have the money to by such a burial, it was borrowed, actually donated to be exact. After all it would not be permanent. Jesus in his ministry had borrowed many things. A manger, He borrowed boats, He borrowed a colt; He borrowed a house for Passover and He was buried in a borrowed tomb. Christ came in complete humility as stated in 2 Cor. 8:9 “Christ, that though He was rich, (owning everything) yet for your sakes He became poor, that you through His poverty might become rich.” (Meaning spiritually rich.)
spiritfilled
Christian Talk Member

Female

Number of posts : 24

Back to top Go down

Post  angel555 Sun 06 Apr 2008, 7:14 am

So was Jesus poor or rich? In my opinion, most likely neither. It is dangerous to build a theology of prosperity on the thin references and culturally biased interpretations that are common today. There is far greater evidence to counter these shallow theologies in the fullness of Scripture. I will not get into the details here.

God bless
angel555
angel555
Christian Talk Member

Female

Number of posts : 19
Marital Status : Divorcee
Registration date : 2007-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post  4given Sun 06 Apr 2008, 7:24 am

1 Corinthians 8:9
that though He was rich, yet for your sakes He became poor, that you through His poverty might become rich

My answer is: Was Jesus Rich? YES Was Jesus Poor? YES

In Christ
4given
4given
Christian Talk Member

Female

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2007-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post  JesusSaves Sun 06 Apr 2008, 7:28 am

Jesus was rich with compassion and concern when a woman was caught in adultery- a sexual sin- and was going to be stoned to death- Jesus said “Woman I do not condemn you- go and sin no more.” We could go on and on- Jesus indeed was rich in the things which last forever- Eternal things and yes he wants us to be rich.

In Jesus our Savior
JesusSaves
JesusSaves
Christian Talk Member

Male

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2007-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post  tom2 Thu 12 Jun 2008, 8:11 am

well first and foremost jesus was God.second he came to earth to die for us.he came humble and meek with the spiritual richness that is within God.and actually is and was even at that tine the owner of the entire universe.now that being said wordly wealth means nothing,especially to God.Gods riches are humbleness,kindness,love,not gold ,silver,a big bamk account.
tom2
Christian Talk Member

Male

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2008-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post  tom2 Sun 22 Jun 2008, 11:02 am

my point is this.what makes a person rich?jesus said for what does it profit a man if he gain the whole world,but loose his soul.what are treasures?he spoke of laying up treasures in heaven where moth and rust do not destroy.you can be the poorest person in the world,yet be the richest,and the richest yet the poorest.jesus told several people to give everything away then come and follow him?why do you think he said this?he said a man can not serve 2 masters.what rules your life?GOD or money?God or your portfolio?by the worlds standard iam not a wealthy man,and most of what ui have had i have given away.i have traveled all around the world, and seen people who are really poor.but honestly most of the rich i have never seen or know.why?cause in this life very few will share their wealth.jesus shared his completely.he was and is the wealthest human ever to live.because even thiugh he was human,he was God also.he absolutely lived spiritual truth,heck,he was the truthso whats more important?living spiritual truth,or amassing possessions,and money during this brief life span we live?
tom2
Christian Talk Member

Male

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2008-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post  Waqar Daniel Sun 22 Jun 2008, 5:47 pm

I Agree
Waqar Daniel
Waqar Daniel
Administrator

Male

Number of posts : 2778
Profession : Consultant
Hobbies : Long drives, Gospel music, Bible study
Marital Status : Married
Registration date : 2007-06-25

https://christian-talk.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down