Trees in Genesis one vs. trees in Genesis 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Trees in Genesis one vs. trees in Genesis 2

Post  ericv on Wed 11 Feb 2009, 6:10 pm

Gen. 1:29And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

AS COMPARED TO:

Gen 2: 9And out of the ground made the LORD God to grow every tree that is pleasant to the sight, and good for food; the tree of life also in the midst of the garden, and the tree of knowledge of good and evil.

Gen. 2:
16And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat:
17But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.

No restrictions shown in Genesis one???

ericv
Christian Talk Member

Mood : I feel Blessed
Male

Number of posts : 11
Marital Status : Still Looking
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Warning :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Trees in Genesis one vs. trees in Genesis 2

Post  Waqar Daniel on Thu 12 Feb 2009, 3:50 pm

It is simple, I see Genesis 1 as the preface to the Bible, where the author's name is written and plan is mentioned. In the beginning God created the heavens and earth (Genesis 1:1). Genesis 1 mainly shows the power and authority of Heavenly Father as Creator, And God said, "Let there be light and there was light... (Genesis 1:3)"

Genesis 1 and Genesis 2:3, outlines 6 days of creation. Whereas, in Genesis 2, the detail is given and how Adam was created and how other things came into being. Here we also read that When the LORD God made the earth and heavens - and no shrub of the field had yet appeared on the earth (Genesis 2:5).

Do also remember that God planted a garden in the east, in Eden and then He put Adam there. Therefore, first all kinds of trees were made, and then Adam was placed there. So the command came to Adam after God had made all kinds of trees.

The LORD God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it. And the LORD God commanded the man, "You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evii...(Genesis 2:15-18)"

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the LORD Jesus Christ. (Philemon 1:3)

Waqar Daniel
Administrator

Male

Number of posts : 2778
Profession : Consultant
Hobbies : Long drives, Gospel music, Bible study
Marital Status : Married
Registration date : 2007-06-25

Warning :

View user profile http://christian-talk.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Johntheservant on Thu 12 Feb 2009, 5:22 pm

I agree with Daniel and the best way to understand the creation story is to see Genesis chapter one as an overview of all God did to create the heavens and the earth. In chapter two, the story zooms in to look at day six and study those events in a more detailed fashion.

As I understand and my knowledge goes, it a technique to tell a story and it is still being followed in movies, where an overview is given to the audience before the movie starts. In other words, it acts like a motivation for the audience to watch the movie.

Johntheservant
Christian Talk Member

Male

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2008-12-14

Warning :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ericv on Thu 12 Feb 2009, 6:06 pm

Do also remember that God planted a garden in the east, in Eden and then He put Adam there. Therefore, first all kinds of trees were made, and then Adam was placed there. So the command came to Adam after God had made all kinds of trees.

Good observation Daniel!

I agree with Daniel and the best way to understand the creation story is to see Genesis chapter one as an overview of all God did to create the heavens and the earth. In chapter two, the story zooms in to look at day six and study those events in a more detailed fashion.

I agree!

Another observation between the two chapters: In chapter one we see the term God (Elohiym) saying, "let us". In chapter two we are introduced to the term Lord(Jehovah) God working as a single unit.

I'm seeing the first as the trinity performing (drawing the picture) as a whole, where the work being performed in two is the Father working directly as a husbandman.

I looked up the word Elohiym and found it to be both a male and female word (interesting). It's also a plural word.

Where the term Lord is masculine and singular.

ericv
Christian Talk Member

Male

Number of posts : 11
Marital Status : Still Looking
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Warning :

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Waqar Daniel on Thu 12 Feb 2009, 8:18 pm

Dear Eric

Thank you for your input and yes in the start it talks of God (Heavenly Father) and then in second chapter LORD God (Jesus)

Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the LORD Jesus Christ. (Philemon 1:3)

Waqar Daniel
Administrator

Male

Number of posts : 2778
Profession : Consultant
Hobbies : Long drives, Gospel music, Bible study
Marital Status : Married
Registration date : 2007-06-25

Warning :

View user profile http://christian-talk.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down