Christian Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Power of the Spirit Works

Go down

power of the Spirit - The Power of the Spirit Works Empty The Power of the Spirit Works

Post  Fenny West Thu 21 May 2009, 7:43 am

Peter Heals the Crippled Beggar

1One day Peter and John were going up to the temple at the time of prayer—at three in the afternoon. 2Now a man crippled from birth was being carried to the temple gate called Beautiful, where he was put every day to beg from those going into the temple courts. 3When he saw Peter and John about to enter, he asked them for money. 4Peter looked straight at him, as did John. Then Peter said, "Look at us!" 5So the man gave them his attention, expecting to get something from them.

6Then Peter said, "Silver or gold I do not have, but what I have I give you. In the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, walk." 7Taking him by the right hand, he helped him up, and instantly the man's feet and ankles became strong. 8He jumped to his feet and began to walk. Then he went with them into the temple courts, walking and jumping, and praising God. 9When all the people saw him walking and praising God, 10they recognized him as the same man who used to sit begging at the temple gate called Beautiful, and they were filled with wonder and amazement at what had happened to him.

Acts 1:3-10

What lessons can we learn from this passage of scripture?

Time of prayer is pertinent for the Christian

2. Fellowship engenders growth

3. What you have believed will be tested

4. Those who stand on the Word will prevail

5. You can have the Power of the Spirit and yet sit on it

6. We need to be bold to get results

7. Often we need to go the extra-mile to win

8. When we obey God, we get the results promised and He is glorified.

9. When the miraculous happens through us we must not take the glory. Give it to God.

10. The reality of the Power of the Spirit.

Do you have a time of prayer in your Church? Are you part of it? Do you have a time of prayer at home? Do you enjoy it or is it a chore? Many people enjoy praising, singing, the preaching but prayer seems a drag, unexciting. We are the only army that conquers on its ‘knees.’ No prayer, no power. No prayer, no exploits. One week without prayer, makes one weak.

So work on your prayer life. Think of ways to make it exciting and endearing. Pray the word. Pray the promises of God back to Him. Plead your case. Wrestle with God. Pray in the understanding and pray in the Spirit.

Notice that apart from praying at home they joined others in the church for a time of prayer. Fellowship generates spiritual energy and brings synergy to your prayer. One shall put a thousand to flight. Two shall put ten thousand to flight. If two of you shall agree as touching anything, it shall be done…’ There is power in agreement. Where brethren dwell together in unity there the Lord commands the blessing and life forevermore. Forsake not the assembling together of the saints for prayer.

Peter and john had earlier received the Holy Spirit on the Day of Pentecost. Over 3000 were saved- a demonstration that God answers prayer and confirms his word regarding salvation of sinners. The same promise applied to healing the sick and when they were tested on their way to the prayer meeting they put the Word to test. We too must put God’s word to the test in faith. They could have said, ‘We are late for prayer meeting and hurriedly and timidly dropped a coin for that man and left. No, they decided to apply the Word. Many other believers had seen that man and had demonstrated their form of godliness by dropping coins but they denied the power of God and so this man did not experience the power of God.

So when next you are tested, pass your test. Use God’s Word- the New covenant established on better promises. If it worked for Peter, it can work for you if you believe. Just obey God and leave the results to Him.

Often we would need to go the extra mile if people do not receive, like Peter did. We need to be ready for that. For some people we may need to pray for them and ask them to believe they have received and as they depart their healing will come. For other we may be lead to give them an instruction and as they obey the healing will manifest. God heals in different ways and we need to be open to that and not put Him in a box. The important truth is: God heals even today as He did before- Jesus Christ the same, yesterday, today and for ever.’ I am the Lord and I change not. I am the Lord that healeth thee. Jesus Christ was anointed with the Holy Ghost and with power and He went about doing good, healing all those that were oppressed of the devil, for God was with Him.’

Yes, people will be amazed as God confirms His Word with signs following- the crippled walking, the blind seeing, the dead being raised. Attention will be focused on those that have been used to perform the miracle or healing. It is important that we do not touch the glory when it comes but turn it all to the Lord. He said, ‘I will not share my glory with many other.’ The glory belongs to God. We are just his instruments, His conduits, His channels; He is the source, the Author and finisher. So when people focus on you, after you have been used to perform a miracle, turn their attention to God.

The power of the Spirit is real. If you have received the baptism of the Holy Spirit, you have the power. Greater is he in you that he that is in the world. Do not sit on that power put it to good use. Be bold! Step out in faith. Debunk having a form of godliness but denying the power. Creation is waiting for the manifestation of the sons of God. Trust God to honour His word. Offer to pray for or with people even on the street and believe God to confirm the Word with signs following.

And you shall receive power after the Holy Ghost is come upon you…’ and these sign shall follow them that believe… they shall lay hands on the sick and they shall recover. ‘And Jesus Christ was anointed with the Holy Ghost and with power and He went about doing good healing all those that were oppressed of the devil, for God was with Him.’

Live What You Believe

Live what you believe
Stand on God’s Word
Active faith receives
The promise it heard.

Use the Spirits power
Depend on God alone
And you will tower
His will, will be done.

Be bold and strong
Forget what they think
God will give a song