Christian Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nabu

5 posters

Go down

Nabu Empty Nabu

Post  Littlelamb Wed 05 Aug 2009, 1:08 am

A friend of mine asked about something to do with this Babylonian god. Since I am not well versed in this area, I decided to post my findings here, and maybe someone else can give me more details about this god.

Look closely at this picture. It does remind one of the antichrist...riding on the back of satan!
http://www.mesopotamia.co.uk/gods/explore/nabu.html

Wikipedia gives more information, along with scriptures! In the BIBLE this Babylonian god is called NEBO. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nabu

Here is where Nebo is found in the WORD, along with the Strong's Lexicon:
http://www.blueletterbible.org/search/translationResults.cfm?Criteria=Nebo&t=KJV&sstr=1
Littlelamb
Littlelamb
Christian Talk Moderators

Mood : I feel Blessed
Female

Number of posts : 227
Profession : Admin of 2 forums, Children's Church Ministry
Hobbies : The BIBLE and the STUDY which I apply to life.
Marital Status : Married
Registration date : 2008-03-21

Warning : Nabu 110

http://www.lordismyshepherd.forumsmotion.com

Back to top Go down

Nabu Empty Re: Nabu

Post  FaithfulSon Wed 05 Aug 2009, 4:15 pm

sure it will be an interesting research and I will look for information. Thank you
FaithfulSon
FaithfulSon
Christian Talk Member

Male

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2007-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post  ChristianLady Wed 05 Aug 2009, 4:33 pm

Nabu:LORD OF THE WRITTEN WORD, DIVINE SCRIBE, WIELDER OF THE WAND OF DIVINATION, OPENER OF THE WELLS, FAR TRAVELER

Nabu is a Babylonian god, the son of Marduk and his consort Sarpanitum, and grand-son of Ea. The etymology of his name is disputed: could be derived from nb´ or to call, announce, meaning something like "He hwo has Called", or it could be from ne/abu, for shining, brilliant, or from a quite different unknown old-Syrian root. His power over human existence is immense, because He engraves the destiny of each person, as the Gods have decided, on the tablets of sacred record. Thus, He has the power to increase or diminish, at will, the length of human life. His symbols are the clay/stone tablet with the writing stylo, and his sacred animal is t he winged dragon who is initially his father´s. He wears a horned cap, and stands with hands clasped, in the ancient gesture of priest/esshood.

Originally, Nabu was a West Semitic deity, mentioned among the Ebla gods. By the beginning of the second millennium BCE, the Amorites had introduced him to Mesopotamia, probably at the same time as Marduk. The two gods continued to have close connections throughout their history (well into the Persian period and beyond). While Marduk became Babylon´s main deity, Nabu resided in nearby Borsippa in his temple E-zida. He was first called the "scribe and minister of Marduk", later assimilated as Marduk´s beloved son from Sarpanitum, Marduk´s consort. Nabu is accorded the office of patron of the scribes, taking over from the Sumerian goddess Nisaba. His consort is Tashmetum, whose name derives from the Akkadian "shamu", meaning something like "the granting of requests", thus being a merciful mediator, protector against evil and goddess of love and potency. Astronomically, Tashmetum is identified with the sign of Capricorn. It is important nevertheless to point out that in Sumer the goddess of writing was Nisaba/Nidaba, not Nabu. Thus, He represents a futher stage of perception of knowledge

A fair number of beautifully written tablets were deposited in Nabu´s sanctuary as ex-voto offerings, but so far no literary text extolling the deeds and functions of His have been found. Nabu was also worshipped in Assyria: Shalmanesser I built the first Nabu sanctuary in Ashur ca. 1300 BCE, and others followed in Nineveh, Kalah and Khorsabad. Following the expansion of the Assyrian empire from Sargon II onwards, he became one of the great gods of the realm and was frequently invoked in royal inscriptions. His popularity among the Assyrians is also well documented by numerous private names, letters and prayers. Being the patron of the scribal arts, he also represented the cultural traditions of the South, which were greatly admired. After the downfall of Assyria, Nabu rose to a high rank in the Neo-Babylonian pantheon, first as Marduk´s son and then in his own right. His cult in fact endured well into the Parthian period. With his elevation to the ranks of the great gods, Nabu became a cosmic deity, entrusted with the Tablets of Destiny, 'pronouncing the Fate" of humankind. The texts equate him with Ninurta. He was also sometimes mentioned as the god of water and of the fertility of fields, maybe through his descent from Ea/Enki, with whom he also shares the epithet of god of wisdom.

Source: Get Away To Babylon
ChristianLady
ChristianLady
Christian Talk Member

Female

Number of posts : 238

Back to top Go down

Post  lisa1880 Wed 05 Aug 2009, 5:02 pm

lisa1880
lisa1880
Christian Talk Member

Female

Number of posts : 122

Back to top Go down

Post  lovingdove Wed 05 Aug 2009, 5:08 pm

The story below is quoted by The Phantom Stranger when he visited Father Craemer
The Phantom Stranger explains that God's wrath was originally known as Eclipso. Eclipso was responsible for the Flood, the only survivor of which was Noah and his ark. But in time, Eclipso overreached himself and was trapped in a gemstone. Then God brought forth a new spirit of wrath, the Spectre, who was responsible for many biblical catastrophes.

Nabu, a court magician in ancient Egypt (and a Lord of Order), feels guilty that he did not stop the pharaoh from issuing a decree to kill all of the Hebrew children in Egypt. When the Spectre comes to punish the pharaoh, Nabu tries to stop him. But despite Nabu's power, the Spectre kills the pharaoh and escapes. The pharaoh's son takes over, and Nabu convinces him to spare the Hebrews' lives.

Years later, Moses insists that the pharaoh free the Hebrews. Against Nabu's advice, the pharaoh refuses. Many disasters befall Egypt. The Phantom Stranger visits Nabu and warns him that all of Egypt's first-born children will die at the hands of the spirit of God's wrath, who Nabu faced earlier.

Nabu dons the Helmet of Fate and attempts to stop the Spectre. But with little effort, the Spectre strips Nabu of his power. Nabu returns to the pharaoh, who is holding his dead son. Nabu explains that this happened because of their pride. The pharaoh sends the Hebrews away but then decides to have them killed. After the Hebrews pass through the parted Red Sea, the Spectre causes the pharaoh and his soldiers to drown.

The Phantom Stranger tells Father Craemer, "The Spectre's god is not your god of mercy, but of vengeance. And he rarely turns the other cheek."

lovingdove
lovingdove
Christian Talk Member

Female

Number of posts : 78
Marital Status : Still Looking

Back to top Go down

Post  Littlelamb Wed 05 Aug 2009, 8:00 pm

Very interesting! Thank you all for your time and help.
Littlelamb
Littlelamb
Christian Talk Moderators

Female

Number of posts : 227
Profession : Admin of 2 forums, Children's Church Ministry
Hobbies : The BIBLE and the STUDY which I apply to life.
Marital Status : Married
Registration date : 2008-03-21

http://www.lordismyshepherd.forumsmotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum