Christian Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Bible story of Bartimaeus

Go down

The Bible story of Bartimaeus Empty The Bible story of Bartimaeus

Post  Jesusismylord Sun 15 Nov 2009, 5:04 pm

The Bible story of Bartimaeus By Fergus Davar

Hi people, last Sunday I have another amazing sermon to share with you. I will be talking about Jesus healing the blind beggar in Mark 10:46-52.

Mark 10:46-52
46 They came to Jericho, and as Jesus was leaving with his disciples and a large crowd, a blind beggar named Bartimaeus son of Timaeus was sitting by the road. 47 When he heard that it was Jesus of Nazareth, he began to shout, "Jesus! Son of David! Take pity on me!"
48 Many of the people scolded him and told him to be quiet. But he shouted even more loudly, "Son of David, take pity on me!"
49 Jesus stopped and said, "Call him."
So they called the blind man. "Cheer up!" they said. "Get up, he is calling you."
50 He threw off his cloak, jumped up, and came to Jesus.
51 "What do you want me to do for you?" Jesus asked him.
"Teacher," the blind man answered, "I want to see again."
52 "Go," Jesus told him, "your faith has made you well."
At once he was able to see and followed Jesus on the road.

As you may not notice from the above but this was the last time that Jesus was in Jericho. Now as you may know that it is written that the Messiah would be the earthly descendant of David. So you see when Bartimaeus called Jesus, he called him recognizing Jesus as the Messiah because he says Son of David. You know when we call on God it is really important that we recognize who we are calling. If we call on God and say stuff like God I call you, you who are alone and have no son of your own or is not in union with the Holy Spirit, then you are calling on someone who does not exist. For example, if you were to call me by saying hey Fergus, you who have done his PhD and has 4 wives and children studying in the best schools in the US. Man if you were to call me that way I myself would be in doubt if it is really me you are looking for. So it is the same with God, he has revealed Himself as One in the Father Son and Holy Spirit. So now when we call him, we must call him with the understanding that he has given us. This way God knows that we seek Him and Him alone when we call him & not some created image that we may have in our minds. This is what makes prayer powerful and this one of the reason why so many miracles take place when prayers are said in Jesus' name.

Coming back, you can see from verses 47 & 48, Bartimaeus was all out to reach for Jesus. You know its not very comforting for passers by to have a beggar on the road shouting out for something but Bartimaeus knew that this was his last chance to meet up with Jesus & his hunger to meet up with God was so great that no one could silence him. In fact when the people around try to silence him he called out all the more louder. We then see in verse 49 that Jesus takes notice of him even though he is surrounded by a crowd. This line is now very touching, it reminds me of the relief I feel when God just hears my prayers because the people tell the Bartimaeus to CHEER UP & that Jesus was calling him. The next line just shows how happy Bartimaeus was because it is written that he just throws of his cloak, which was probably the only one he had & that he jumped up and went to Jesus.. man how happy he was to know that his prayer was heard. What we can learn from this is that we need to be happy just knowing that our prayer is heard & have the faith that our needs will be taken care of. We should not wait to be happy only until the things are done because that will be the devil making you doubt if your prayers will be answered even after God has heard them. In verse 51 we see that Jesus does not take a shortcut and make the blind man see but Jesus ask Bartimaeus as to what is it that He can do for him, just like when we bring our needs & desires to God to fulfill. In the same way Jesus put that question to him to show that He would provide for him because he is God. We also see later in the verse that Bartimaeus, refers to Jesus as Teacher and ask him to make him see again. In verse 52 we see that Jesus tells him that it was his faith that he had in Jesus that credited him to be able to see. You see many of us put our faith in things, people & financial security but we do not put our trust in God. I can't count the number to time when I have been let down when I have trusted something other than Jesus (God) but Bartimaeus put his trust in Jesus and it paid off immediately I repeat immediately not after a minute or an hour but at once. You know trusting God in your life is like riding a bicycle. If you want the cycle to move you need to put your feet to the pedals and start pedaling or in other word put your trust in God and start believing. Trusting in men, things and financial security is as ridiculous as trying to get to ride the cycle by running along side it or trying to turn the wheels with your hands.

So what can we learn from this. Well for starters start bringing your concerns to Jesus because he is your God and provider in union with His Father and the Holy Spirit. No matter how much people may try to silence you and ridicule you when you come to Jesus with your problems, don't be bothered but try all the more harder because a directional force need to be stronger when a resistive force is applied against it. Yeah and know this that when you come to Jesus with your cause know that you will be heard even if you are a blind beggar on the street & rejoice and be happy when you know that you prayer is heard because you can then consider that things will now work out in your favor.

By Fergus Davar (Saved by HIS grace), just a pen in His Hand.

Article Source: http://www.faithwriters.com CHRISTIAN WRITERS
Jesusismylord
Jesusismylord
Christian Talk Member

Mood : I feel Blessed
Male

Number of posts : 18
Marital Status : Single
Registration date : 2009-08-06

Warning : The Bible story of Bartimaeus 110

Back to top Go down