Repentance Precedes Restoration

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Repentance Precedes Restoration

Post  fennywest on Fri 04 Jun 2010, 9:45 am

Psalm 51

For the choir director: A psalm of David, regarding the time Nathan the prophet came to him after David had committed adultery with Bathsheba.

1 Have mercy on me, O God,
because of your unfailing love.
Because of your great compassion,
blot out the stain of my sins.
2 Wash me clean from my guilt.
Purify me from my sin.
3 For I recognize my rebellion;
it haunts me day and night.
4 Against you, and you alone, have I sinned;
I have done what is evil in your sight.
You will be proved right in what you say,
and your judgment against me is just.
[a]
5 For I was born a sinner—
yes, from the moment my mother conceived me.
6 But you desire honesty from the womb,[b]
teaching me wisdom even there.
[/b]

7 Purify me from my sins,[c] and I will be clean;
wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.
8 Oh, give me back my joy again;
you have broken me—
now let me rejoice.
9 Don’t keep looking at my sins.
Remove the stain of my guilt.
10 Create in me a clean heart, O God.
Renew a loyal spirit within me.
11 Do not banish me from your presence,
and don’t take your Holy Spirit
[d] from me. [/b]

12 Restore to me the joy of your salvation,
and make me willing to obey you.
13 Then I will teach your ways to rebels,
and they will return to you.
14 Forgive me for shedding blood, O God who saves;
then I will joyfully sing of your forgiveness.
15 Unseal my lips, O Lord,
that my mouth may praise you.

16 You do not desire a sacrifice, or I would offer one.
You do not want a burnt offering.
17 The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit.
You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God.
18 Look with favor on Zion and help her;
rebuild the walls of Jerusalem.
19 Then you will be pleased with sacrifices offered in the right spirit—
with burnt offerings and whole burnt offerings.
Then bulls will again be sacrificed on your altar.

This is a classic resource, remedy, prescription and recipe for sin-sickness. We are all sinners by nature and by what we do. David has given us a gem to use, an example to emulate when (not if) we sin against God.

What lessons do we learn from this passage?

What sin is (its nature)

Stain(v1,9), guilt(v2,9), impure (v2), unclean (v2) evil ( v4), inherent (v5)shameful (v3), sickness, separation

Transgression of God’s law

The Setting, Scenario and Story

Example here is lack of self-control, lust of the eyes, lust of the flesh, adultery and idolatry, murder, conniving, cover-up (lying), abuse of power, deception, lack of contentment (greed covetousness).

David stayed home when he should be at war( 2Sam.11:1), was tempted when he had a sustained look at a beautiful, naked woman taking her bath, could not control the lust of his eyes and then his flesh, stole Bathsheba from a poor, powerless man (Uriah). He took his wife, slept with her, tried to cover up his tracks when he discovered she was pregnant. He plotted, devised a big hoax and scam by inviting her husband back from the war front and bribing him to go and sleep with his wife (telling him to ‘go home and relax’, giving him gifts, getting him drunk) and when he refused because of his call of duty and loyalty to the country, David connived with the general in the war front to put him in the fiercest part of the war to kill him.

When Bathsheba heard that her husband was dead she mourned for him and after the period of mourning was over, David sent for her and she became one of his wives. (2Sam.11:26-27)

We can see where one sin leads to another. 2Sam11,12

What sin does (consequences) sin has wages: death

Haunts day and night, makes you (v3)restless like a fish out of water, like you have some hired assassins on your trail , brings shame, guilt, torments, harasses, isolates , gives the enemies of God a great opportunity to despise and blaspheme 2Sam12:14

It speaks: I don’t trust you to : provide ( when you worry or steal) protect ( when you take matters in your own hands and fight your battles without recourse to God) I don’t care about your presence or power in my life ( whenever you sin)

Takes away the joy of the Lord (v8)

Separates you from God, steal His presence(v11) seals your lips from praising God(makes you mute), insensitive to God, You lose the Holy Spiritv11, your walls of protection are broken down and you’re vulnerable to the attacks from Satan He is free to walk in anytime and create havoc (v18)

Who sin is against
Against God primarily, affront to God

The cure, remedy, for sin

Confession (vs1-19) have mercy…, ask for forgiveness( v14) ask for restoration (12)

Blotting out, the blood of Jesus, judgment, repentance,(take personal responsibility, ‘ I was born a sinner,’ I recognise my shameful deeds’ ‘I have done what is evil ’ v4 ‘I have sinned’ recognition, acknowledgment admission, God wants honesty from within (v3,v6), humility (v17)

washing, purification(v2,7), mercy, (v1)unfailing love of God (v1)

Who can cleanse from sin?

Only God( v7,2,2

How does God clean?

Whiter than snow (the power of confession and repentance) the power of the Love of God no matter how awful the sin

What happens when sin is gone?

You have peace with God, His presence , is back v11, His power is back, like an eagle that has just renewed its coat, you can soar once again; the joy of the Lord is back, no more guilt and shame and looking back your shoulders for possible assassins, you can prayer without hindrance, you are restored v12, you confidently teach others God’s ways

God creates a clean heart, renews aright spirit, unseals you r lips to praise(v15)

You can sing joyfully v14

No sacrifices can atone for our sin v16,17

No sin is too bad that it can not be atoned for. V7

This was one of David weak moments and we all have our weak moments when we sin against God. And as it was with David so it is with us.

We have seen what our sin actually is

It is shameful, painful, sorrowful, wicked, wild, wasteful and evil. It is impurity, insanity and enmity against God.

What it does is clearly evident. It kills our relationship with God, separates us from his favour, banishes us from His presence, steals his joy from us, makes us outcasts from his vineyard, give His enemies great opportunity to despise and blaspheme Him. It seals our lips, weakens us, pulls down our walls of resistance, gives the enemy access to us and our family and church, like the sin of Achan and Ananias and Sapphira.

We all need to learn from David who admitted his sin when he was confronted with it by the prophet Nathan. We too should admit our sins when convicted by the Holy Spirit. We need to take personal responsibility like David did and not give excuses. It is repentance that brings forgiveness and restoration and not excuses and justification.

When we sincerely confess our sins we can be sure of forgiveness because of the unfailing love of God. We can also be sure of cleansing such that we are whiter than snow- as if we have not sinned before. Again we can be sure of restoration of the presence of God, the Joy of our salvation the power and presence of the Holy Spirit, removal of pain of guilt and give us peace with God and the peace of God.

The blood of Jesus cleanses us from all sin. It is powerful, effective and lasting. He did it once and for all and we can count on it any day, any time to purify us and make us accepted in the beloved.

7 But if we are living in the light, as God is in the light, then we have fellowship with each other, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, cleanses us from all sin.

8 If we claim we have no sin, we are only fooling ourselves and not living in the truth. 9 But if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness.

1 1John1:7-9

Beautiful Bathsheba

Beautiful Bathsheba

Was having a bath
Naked and alluring
She was irresistible

When kings should be at war
David stayed at home
Idle mind became devils workshop
And idle hands, his tools.

David looked, longingly
Lust of the eyes