1. The bread used in the Passover is made of wheat.
The grain has to fall down and die to produce fruit.
Jesus had to die for us and was raised to justify us and to bring forth much fruit: those who have made Him Lord and Saviour. Jesus is our Passover Lamb.
We too need to humble ourselves and die to ourselves before we can be raised into a newness of life. (John12:24, Rom10:9-10)
2. Just as the shoot that comes out of the grain is different so we have a glorified body when we are raised up when Jesus comes.
3. It is usually One Bread that is broken for a Passover gathering.
Jesus- the Bread of Life- was broken for us (John1:35)
He is the Head and we are the Body ( Rom12:5, 1Cor12:12)
4.There is one body-the Church- worldwide- universal. ( Ps133:1)
5.Commitment to the unity of the Church is essential for membership of the Church.(Eph4:3-6,13,)
6. Being part of the Body of Christ also speaks of the need to commitment to the unity of the body.
7. It is the Holy Spirit Who baptises us into the Body of Christ, so we need to recognise Him to be all that God wants us to be. The Holy Spirit is the giver of the gifts of Power (Faith, Healing, Working of Miracles), Gifts of Utterance (Prophecy, Tongue sand Interpretation of tongues), Revelatory gifts (Word of Wisdom, Word of Knowledge and Discernment of Spirit). 1Cor12:4-8
The Holy Spirit also gives the ministry gifts – ( offices to the Church-
and others besides ( administration, inspiration, generosity etc, Eph4:8-10
The Holy Spirit is the Teacher, Strengthener, Comforter, Standby, Guide, Advocate, Intercessor ( John16:7-8,13,14)
8. Just the Bread was broken, Jesus Christ’s body was broken to make us whole. He took our pain and sicknesses. By His stripes we were healed. Isa53:4-6)
Therefore we can expect healing as we rightly discern the Body of Christ.
9. The grain of wheat is made up or the bran, endosperm and the germ.
These are essential components to make healthy bread.
Similarly the Body of Christ is ONE body made up of different parts- people with complementary gifts, to work together in harmony to give fullness till we grow up to the fullness of the stature of the manhood in Christ. Eph4:3-6,13)
Therefore as the Body of Christ, we need each other to make a sumptuous sup.
We have a common destiny. Jesus is not coming for individuals but for the Church.
Hence we must recognise the role of the Church in our walk with Christ. We belong to the Body and not lone-rangers. (1Cor12:12)
10. The bread used for the Passover is unleavened bread. Leaven is yeast which makes bread rise. This is symbolic of sin. Jesus took away the yeast (sin) Partakers of the bread have to confess their sins and be cleansed to partake of this Bread of life. This is why we should not take the communion lightly.
11. We need to examine ourselves before taking communion else we drink and eat damnation to ourselves.
12. As we take the bread with reverence, God will open our eyes like He opened the eyes of those two men who were on their way to Emmaus. Jesus unfolded the scriptures – over 2000 as he accompanied them and their heart were burning and griped in awe, yet not knowing that He was the one in their midst. However as they sat and He broke the bread, their eyes were opened and they knew: ‘It is Jesus!’
Let us Pray
Lord, may we realise that without you we will remain in our sin, without hope.
May we bow the knee at the cross to be made right with You.
Help us to recognise the Body of Christ ad play our part in maintaining its unity, contribute to its wholeness, advancement and the extension of Your Kingdom.
O that we will have zest as salt of the earth to make our lives tasty to your glory.
in Jesus’ Name Amen.
8 Then they shall eat the flesh on that night; roasted in fire, with unleavened bread and with bitter herbs they shall eat it.
1 Now the Feast of Unleavened Bread drew near, which is called Passover.
Institution of the Lord's Supper
23 For I received from the Lord that which I also delivered to you: that the Lord Jesus on the same night in which He was betrayed took bread;
24 and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, "Take, eat; this is My body which is broken for you; do this in remembrance of Me."
25 In the same manner He also took the cup after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood. This do, as often as you drink it, in remembrance of Me."
26 For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death till He comes.
27 Therefore whoever eats this bread or drinks this cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of the body and blood of the Lord.
28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of the bread and drink of the cup.
29 For he who eats and drinks in an unworthy manner eats and drinks judgment to himself, not discerning the Lord's body.
30 For this reason many are weak and sick among you, and many sleep.
31 For if we would judge ourselves, we would not be judged.1Cor11:
A Glorious Body
35 But someone will say, "How are the dead raised up? And with what body do they come?"
36 Foolish one, what you sow is not made alive unless it dies.
37 And what you sow, you do not sow that body that shall be, but mere grain --- perhaps wheat or some other grain.
38 But God gives it a body as He pleases, and to each seed its own body.
39 All flesh is not the same flesh, but there is one kind of flesh of men, another flesh of animals, another of fish, and another of birds.
40 There are also celestial bodies and terrestrial bodies; but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another.
41 There is one glory of the sun, another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars; for one star differs from another star in glory.
42 So also is the resurrection of the dead. The body is sown in corruption, it is raised in incorruption.
43 It is sown in dishonor, it is raised in glory. It is sown in weakness, it is raised in power.
44 It is sown a natural body, it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.
Marriage --- Christ and the Church
22 Wives, submit to your own husbands, as to the Lord.
23 For the husband is head of the wife, as also Christ is head of the church; and He is the Savior of the body.
24 Therefore, just as the church is subject to Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in everything.
25 Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ also loved the church and gave Himself for her,
26 that He might sanctify and cleanse her with the washing of water by the word,
27 that He might present her to Himself a glorious church, not having spot or wrinkle or any such thing, but that she should be holy and without blemish.
28 So husbands ought to love their own wives as their own bodies; he who loves his wife loves himself.
29 For no one ever hated his own flesh, but nourishes and cherishes it, just as the Lord does the church.
30 For we are members of His body, of His flesh and of His bones.
31 "For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh."
32 This is a great mystery, but I speak concerning Christ and the church.
31Then their eyes were opened and they knew Him; and He vanished from their sight.
- Christian Talk Moderators
- Mood :
Number of posts : 1725
Age : 63
Location : uk
Marital Status : Single
Registration date : 2009-10-19
Points : 15535
Reputation : 78
Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum