Christian Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Love is spelled O-B-E-Y

+2
stephen
saved
6 posters

Go down

Love is spelled O-B-E-Y Empty Love is spelled O-B-E-Y

Post  saved Thu 06 Dec 2007, 1:14 pm

Please note that all scripture references are linked to The WWW Bible Gateway. Therefore, if you click on a scripture reference, it may take a few moments for it to load. Once you are finished reading the scripture reference, click on "back" on your browser to return to this article.

We often hear about the love Jesus has for us, but we seldom hear the definition of what our love for Jesus should be. The New Testament clearly tells us if we love Jesus, we will obey Him. This means doing God's will is evidence of our love for Him.

Let's look at the perfect example of doing God's will. Jesus always obeyed God's will. At Gethsemane (the Mount of Olives), Jesus' soul was overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. He prayed three times for the cup to be taken away from him without having to drink from it. As he prayed, his sweat was like drops of blood falling to the ground. Jesus was asking not to be crucified, but He ended His prayer by asking for God's will to be done (Matthew 26:36-46; Mark 14:32-42; Luke 22:39-46).God's will was ultimately done. Jesus gave Himself to be crucified so that His blood would cover our sins. God's will was done at great sacrifice to God and His Son.

Jesus said if we love Him we will obey what He commands (John 14:15; John 14:23; 1 John 5:1-3). He also says that those who don't love Him won't obey His teachings (John 14:24). If we obey Him, we will remain in His love (John 15:10). Whoever obeys Jesus lives in Him (1 John 3:24).

John also teaches that those who know Jesus obey what He commands (1 John 2:3). If we obey Jesus' commandments, it pleases Him and we receive from Him what we ask (1 John 3:22).

How can we identify a true child of God? In Matthew 12:46-50, Jesus teaches us who his mother and brothers are. "For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother." (Matthew 12:50 NIV). Jesus also tells us that many will say they did many things in His name, but He will send them away because they are evildoers and they didn't obey Him (Matthew 7:21-23).

Unfortunately, some professing Christians only appear to obey on Sunday, but the rest of the week they live according to the ways of the world. Why does God allow this? Let's look at what Paul wrote about this: "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." (Romans 8:28 NIV) God, in His infinite wisdom, uses those who don't love him to work for the good of those who do!
Jesus promises the Counselor (Holy Spirit) to those who are obedient: "If you love me, you will obey what I command. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever--" (John 14:15-16 NIV). Peter and the other apostles also teach us that God gives the Holy Spirit to those who obey him: "We are witnesses of these things, and so is the Holy Spirit, whom God has given to those who obey him." (Acts 5:32 NIV) Thus, we must conclude that only those who obey God have the Holy Spirit.

The last thing Jesus said before he ascended into heaven was what is commonly referred to as the "Great Commission": "Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go. When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted. Then Jesus came to them and said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." (
Matthew 28:16-20 NIV, emphasis added)

A review of the scriptures clearly teaches us that our obedience to God is evidence of our love for Jesus. So the question now is: Do you love Jesus? Is the way you live your life proof that you love Him? Are you obedient to the will of God? Remember, in effect, "love" is spelled "O-B-E-Y."

Source: http://www.bright.net/~1wayonly/love-obey.html
saved
saved
Christian Talk Member

Mood : I feel Blessed
Male

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2007-07-15

Warning : Love is spelled O-B-E-Y 110

Back to top Go down

Love is spelled O-B-E-Y Empty Re: Love is spelled O-B-E-Y

Post  stephen Thu 06 Dec 2007, 8:01 pm

Really a nice message and explains well what love is how wrong we are when we say with our tongues that we love Jesus Christ and do not obey Him. God bless you for posting it here and I pray that everyone learns from this great message.
stephen
stephen
Christian Talk Member

Male

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2007-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post  thirsty Fri 07 Dec 2007, 5:15 am

This article shows a true picture of a modern day Christian who thinks that going to Church on Sundays defines Christianity and Salvation. It is very important to know and understand that when we confess withour mouths that we love Jesus, then it becomes obligatory on us to obey the good commands of Jesus Christ to live a peaceful worldly and an upright spiritual life. Thank you for sharing such a wonderful article here.

God bless
thirsty
thirsty
Christian Talk Member

Female

Number of posts : 212

Back to top Go down

Post  lisa1880 Fri 07 Dec 2007, 5:27 am

God bless you for sharing this article here. This article clearly points out that we need to obey to love Jesus Christ and with obeying there is no love. I enjoyed going through the article and learnt many new things.

God bless
lisa1880
lisa1880
Christian Talk Member

Female

Number of posts : 122

Back to top Go down

Post  Waqar Daniel Fri 07 Dec 2007, 6:23 am

A faith-inspiring article, whenever, people tell me that they believe in in God Almighty, I always ask them - Do they know God Almighty? This is really a very important question.

It is not enough to believe in God but we must know who God is. When we learn and undertand, who God is, then we are afraid of our sins and sinful lives. We start working towards a life that is pleasing to Him and then it becomes our goal to please God in everything we do.

So we make it our goal to please Him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it (2 Cor 5:9)

God bless you all and may your guide and protection, today, tonight and forever, in Jesus name. AMEN
Waqar Daniel
Waqar Daniel
Administrator

Male

Number of posts : 2778
Profession : Consultant
Hobbies : Long drives, Gospel music, Bible study
Marital Status : Married
Registration date : 2007-06-25

https://christian-talk.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AngelicSmile Fri 07 Dec 2007, 7:38 am

Really a faith inspiring article. God bless you for sharing with us.
AngelicSmile
AngelicSmile
Christian Talk Member

Female

Number of posts : 80

Back to top Go down

Love is spelled O-B-E-Y Empty Love is spelled O-B-E-Y

Post  Guest Sat 08 Dec 2007, 6:51 am

Thank you for the truth of God's word, we loved it. It is