Christian Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Judges 11:30-40: God accepts child sacrifice?

2 posters

Go down

Judges 11:30-40: God accepts child sacrifice? Empty Judges 11:30-40: God accepts child sacrifice?

Post  servant Sat 19 Jan 2008, 12:20 am

Can anybody here tell me why did God accept a child sacrifice in Judges 11:30-40 .

Servant
servant
Christian Talk Member

Mood : I feel Blessed
Male

Number of posts : 87
Hobbies : Deep Bible Study
Registration date : 2008-01-13
Country : Judges 11:30-40: God accepts child sacrifice? RedCross-1

Warning : Judges 11:30-40: God accepts child sacrifice? 110

Back to top Go down

Judges 11:30-40: God accepts child sacrifice? Empty Re: Judges 11:30-40: God accepts child sacrifice?

Post  Waqar Daniel Sat 19 Jan 2008, 2:04 am

Dear Servant

Thank you for a very interesting question and I hope that you will find my study on it informative.

Your Question
Can anybody here tell me why did God accept a child sacrifice in Judges 11:30-40

Answer
God never asked for any child sacrifice and God never accepts any child sacrifices.

And Jephthah made a vow to the Lord, "If you give me Ammonites into my hands, whatever comes out of the door of my house to meet me when I return in triumph from the Ammonites will be the Lord's, and I will sacrifice as a burnt offering (Judges 11:20)"
Burnt Offering was never supposed to be of a human, what actually Jephthah meant was that if any human came out to meet him, he would consecrate that person to God and if a suitable animal came out (if it is fit for burnt offering), that he would sacrifice it for God.

Now watch the two conditions Jephthah puts to God:

1. Will be Lord's
  2. I will sacrifice as a burnt offering

Now the sacrifice would be suitable for burnt offering. If a dog would have met Jephthah, this would not have been a suitable burnt offering.

Animals for Burnt Offering

"If the offering is a burnt offering from the flock, from either sheep or the goats, he is to offer a male without defect" [Exodus 1:10]

Birds for Burnt Offering

"Dove or a young pigeon" (Leviticus 1:14)

Therefore, daughter of Jephthah does not qualify the condition for a burnt offering. An offering that was supposed to be sacrificed before God was to be a MALE animal.

Now coming to human sacrifice, it was and is an abomination to God and this was one of the reasons that God drove out Cannanites because they offered their first borns to Molech and God told Israelites:
Do not bow down before their gods or worship them or follow their practices (Exodus 23:24)
Please do understand, that Jephthah did not make a rash statement before God. He only made two vows or promises with God and Jephthah kept his promise due to willingness of his daughter that he made to God.

That daughter was never sacrificed, instead she was consecrated to God.
She and the girls went to the hills and wept because she would never marry. After the two months, she returned to her father and he did to her as he had vowed. And she was a virgin. (Exodus 11:39)

His daughter and his daughter's friends wept on the hills because she knew that she was being consecrated to God and she will never get married. Due to her willingness to keep her father's vow/promise she is highly respected among Jews. Till now, Jewish women do follow the custom as mentioned in the Bible.
From this comes the Israelite custom that each year the young women of Israel go out for four days to commemorate the daughter of Jephthah the Gileadite. (Judges 11:39-40)

I hope that I answered your question, if you think that it further needs clarification, please feel free to ask.

Last edited by Waqar Daniel on Fri 27 Feb 2009, 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Waqar Daniel
Waqar Daniel
Administrator

Male

Number of posts : 2778
Profession : Consultant
Hobbies : Long drives, Gospel music, Bible study
Marital Status : Married
Registration date : 2007-06-25

https://christian-talk.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Judges 11:30-40: God accepts child sacrifice? Empty reply to Daniel servant

Post  servant Sat 19 Jan 2008, 5:24 pm

It is clear to me that you do not understand this passage.

It says clearly that he would offer her up as a burnt offering!

this is the Bible

If You will indeed deliver the people of Ammon into my
hands,

then it will be that whatever comes out of the doors of my
house to meet me, when I return in peace from the people of Ammon, shall surely
be the Lord's, and I will offer it up as a burnt offering. Judges 11:30

And it was so at the end of two months that she returned to
her father, and he
carried out his vow
with her which he had vowed- and what was his vow, it was a burnt offering.

Jedges 11:39

The reason why he tore his close in verse 35 - was because
he was going to have to offer her up as a burnt offering! She could not live if
she was going to be a burnt offering! She would perish in the fire. But thanks
for your reply anyway.

Servant
servant
Christian Talk Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Judges 11:30-40: God accepts child sacrifice? Empty Re: Judges 11:30-40: God accepts child sacrifice?

Post  Waqar Daniel Sun 20 Jan 2008, 6:03 am

servant wrote:It says clearly that he would offer her up as a burnt offering!

this is the Bible
Bible no where says this and you have added words to it

Thank you for your kind remarks "it is clear to me that you do not understand the passage". If you had understood the passage then Why did you ask the question? Was it just for fun?

I ask, if a dog had come out first from his house, would he sacrificed it to God as a burnt offering and would it be acceptable to God? Is human sacrifice a God's command and is it acceptable to God?

Do not bring anything with a defect, because it will not be accepted on your behalf (Lev 22:20)

The most interesting thing that you wrote:

The reason why he tore his close in verse 35 - was because he was going to have to offer her up as a burnt offering! She could not live if she was going to be a burnt offering! She would perish in the fire.

However, the reason why he mourned for his daughter was:

But nothing that a man owns and devotes to the LORD - whether man or animal or family land - may be sold or redeemed; everything so devoted is most holy to the LORD (Leviticus 27:28)

Jephthah knew that once he had consecrated his daughter to God, he would have no heir as she was the only child of his and he could not redeem her also.

Why do you add words to the Bible?
And it was so at the end of two months that she returned to her father, and he carried out his vow with her which he had vowed- and what was his vow, it was a burnt offering. Judges 11:39

Judges 11:39 says, "...and he did to her as he had vowed. And she was a virgin".

So believe whatever you want, you have the Bible and God has given you wisdom to believe and surely God has given you freedom to make choices and you can assume whatever you want.

God bless you

Last edited by Waqar Daniel on Fri 27 Feb 2009, 9:01 am; edited 2 times in total
Waqar Daniel
Waqar Daniel
Administrator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  servant Sun 20 Jan 2008, 7:51 am

Why do you want to argue with me and get angry.

I have not called you any names. I don’t wish to argue with
you! I am only a humble servant of the Lord. Please forgive me if I have said
anything against you.
servant
Christian Talk Member

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Waqar Daniel Sun 20 Jan 2008, 8:50 am

Dear Servant

I did not mind anything, I just quoted what you wrote. This is a discussion board and you have all the right to disagree with me and I do not mind it at all. We argue not with our intellect but by quoting the verses from the Bible.

Many people disagree with me and they are still members here and I love and respect them. So please do understand, I will only mind, if anyone talks against Jesus or Bible. Otherwise, anyone can believe whatever they want to.

We are like a family here and we can have heated discussions, so there is nothing to mind. You can write whatever you want against me.

One thing I always tell is that this Forum is owned by Jesus Christ and we are all tools here to preach. Rest is with the person, whether that person believes or not. So don't worry, if you disagree with me, you will still remain a respected member. I do not administer this forum like others. Infact, I am just like you, only a member and nothing more.

God bless you
Waqar Daniel
Waqar Daniel
Administrator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down