Christian Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tribulation and Consolation

3 posters

Go down

Tribulation and Consolation Empty Tribulation and Consolation

Post  Fenny West Thu 12 Feb 2009, 11:42 pm

"For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also aboundeth by Christ."-2 Corinthians 1:5

There is a blessed proportion. The Ruler of Providence bears a pair of scales-in this side He puts His people's trials, and in that He puts their consolations. When the scale of trial is nearly empty, you will always find the scale of consolation in nearly the same condition; and when the scale of trials is full, you will find the scale of consolation just as heavy. When the black clouds gather most, the light is the more brightly revealed to us. When the night lowers and the tempest is coming on, the Heavenly Captain is always closest to His crew.

It is a blessed thing, that when we are most cast down, then it is that we are most lifted up by the consolations of the Spirit. One reason is, because trials make more room for consolation. Great hearts can only be made by great troubles. The spade of trouble digs the reservoir of comfort deeper, and makes more room for consolation. God comes into our heart-He finds it full-He begins to break our comforts and to make it empty; then there is more room for grace. The humbler a man lies, the more comfort he will always have, because he will be more fitted to receive it. Another reason why we are often most happy in our troubles, is this-then we have the closest dealings with God.

When the barn is full, man can live without God: when the purse is bursting with gold, we try to do without so much prayer. But once take our gourds away, and we want our God; once cleanse the idols out of the house, then we are compelled to honour Jehovah. "Out of the depths have I cried unto thee, O Lord. "There is no cry so good as that which comes from the bottom of the mountains; no prayer half so hearty as that which comes up from the depths of the soul, through deep trials and afflictions. Hence they bring us to God, and we are happier; for nearness to God is happiness. Come, troubled believer, fret not over your heavy troubles, for they are the heralds of weighty mercies.

C.H Spurgeon

Last edited by Fenny West on Wed 09 Sep 2009, 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Fenny West
Fenny West
Christian Talk Moderators

Mood : I feel Blessed
Male

Number of posts : 1091
Profession : Writer/Teacher/singer/composer
Hobbies : Music
Marital Status : Single
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Warning : Tribulation and Consolation 110

http://inspiration4generations.com

Back to top Go down

Tribulation and Consolation Empty Re: Tribulation and Consolation

Post  Waqar Daniel Fri 13 Feb 2009, 1:54 pm

Thank you for posting such a beautiful article. I was thinking of opening a forum regarding C.H. Spurgeon's writings. This way they get lost among articles and I found them to be quite faith-inspiring. What do you say?
Waqar Daniel
Waqar Daniel
Administrator

Male

Number of posts : 2778
Profession : Consultant
Hobbies : Long drives, Gospel music, Bible study
Marital Status : Married
Registration date : 2007-06-25

https://christian-talk.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Tribulation and Consolation Empty Spurgeon is a Gem

Post  Fenny West Sat 14 Feb 2009, 1:31 am

Yes,Waqar, go for it!
Spurgeon is a gem to say the least. He is exceptional in his way with words and has very deep spiritual insights. I read his devotionals frequently. He has inspired some of my poems and I would highly recommend him to anyone.

I thenk God for those who have thought it wise to keep his flame burning. Reading is works you would hardly know that he died a long time ago and yets speaks so loudly and eloquently.

I look forward to seeing the forum.

God bless you and yours.

Fenny
Fenny West
Fenny West
Christian Talk Moderators

Male

Number of posts : 1091
Profession : Writer/Teacher/singer/composer
Hobbies : Music
Marital Status : Single
Registration date : 2007-09-10

http://inspiration4generations.com

Back to top Go down

Tribulation and Consolation Empty Re: Tribulation and Consolation

Post  Waqar Daniel Sat 14 Feb 2009, 5:49 am

Dear Fenny, I have made C.H. Spurgeon's Forum in Historical Writings Forum and also uploaded his Brief History. I hope that you will like it.
Waqar Daniel
Waqar Daniel
Administrator

Male

Number of posts : 2778
Profession : Consultant
Hobbies : Long drives, Gospel music, Bible study
Marital Status : Married
Registration date : 2007-06-25

https://christian-talk.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Tribulation and Consolation Empty "his appearance"

Post  ericv Sat 14 Feb 2009, 1:21 pm

"For as the sufferings of Christ abound in us, so our consolation also aboundeth by Christ."-2 Corinthians 1:5

How true, how close is this to being exactly why we spend this moment on earth before spending eternity in heaven?

Romans 8:18
For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.

Should our prayer be, "heavenly Father deliver us from our troubles"? Or better yet, "Heavenly Father deliver us in our troubles"?

The difference? If we are taken out of circumstances to be given peace, then the same circumstances may later return and we will be held captive yet again. Yet if we "find a way" to keep our peace and joy in our current circumstances we gain an everlasting victory and are free indeed!

Jesus Christ has shown us the "way". The way for what? The "way" that overcomes all things! There is a way "IN" our circumstances that we remain free and full of joy, though we are surrounded by darkness and woe.

There is a verse that is often mis-quoted, "the truth shall set you free" When it actually reads:

John 8:32
And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

The difference? To be "set" free means we've been removed from present circumstances that were not pleasant. To be "made" free means we are free whether the circumstances remain the same or not, we are still free. Though you may be bound in certain circumstances you can still be free. We need not wait until our circumstances are taken away before we can rejoice and praise God. In our darkest hours is the time to stand up and praise God for his love and mercy! What a testimony!

Look at Paul and Silas,
Acts 16:25And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them.
26And suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken: and immediately all the doors were opened, and every one's bands were loosed.
27And the keeper of the prison awaking out of his sleep, and seeing the prison doors open, he drew out his sword, and would have killed himself, supposing that the prisoners had been fled.
28But Paul cried with a loud voice, saying, Do thyself no harm: for we are all here.

The three Hebrew children had a similar experience. The furnace was seven times hotter then normal and what was their response? Daniel 3:
17If it be so, our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace (but he doesn't), and he will deliver us out of thine hand, O king.
18But if not, be it known unto thee, O king, that we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up.

What a testimony and trust in God! Reminds me of Jobs comment, "tho he slay me yet will I trust him"

Now let's look at the "glory" that was revealed in them:

Daniel 3: 23And these three men, Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego, fell down bound into the midst of the burning fiery furnace.
24Then Nebuchadnezzar the king was astonished, and rose up in haste, and spake, and said unto his counsellors, Did not we cast three men bound into the midst of the fire? They answered and said unto the king, True, O king.
25He answered and said, Lo, I see four men loose, walking in the midst of the fire, and they have no hurt; and the form of the fourth is like the Son of God.

God is looking for a people he can use to reveal himself in. A people who are not afraid, but trust in him, NO MATTER WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE. A people who pray for his will to be done and not their own. There's a verse in the song of songs that some translate as saying, "My soul shall rest upon the chariots of a willing people" (song of solomon 6:12)

ericv
ericv
Christian Talk Member

Male

Number of posts : 11
Marital Status : Still Looking
Registration date : 2009-02-09

Back to top Go down

Tribulation and Consolation Empty Thank you very much

Post  Fenny West Mon 16 Feb 2009, 4:25 pm