Christian Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Prevailing Prayers

Go down

Prevailing Prayers Empty Prevailing Prayers

Post  fennywest Fri 09 Nov 2012, 1:26 pm

Prevailing Prayers Praywithoutceasingae61

The story goes of a man who had a mantra of a prayer which he recited each time he went to a prayer meeting: "O God, remove this spider’s web in my life.. O God, remove this spider’ web in my life.. O God, remove this spider’ web in my life."

People kept wondering: 'What type of prayer is this that does not end?'

The man stood out like a sore thumb. Each time he came to the prayer meeting, people knew what he was going to pray about: Spider’s web. They were fed up.

On one occasion as he started out again, someone was brave enough to counter after he finished:

‘O God, kill this spider in our brother’s life.’

That prayer worked magic. The prayer about spider’s web ceased!

5 "And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward.
6 But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.
7 And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words.
8 "Therefore do not be like them. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him.
9 In this manner, therefore, pray: Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name.
10 Your kingdom come. Your will be done On earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts, As we forgive our debtors.
13 And do not lead us into temptation, But deliver us from the evil one. For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.
Matt6
James 5
16 ... The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much. NKJV
The earnest (heartfelt, continued) prayer of a righteous man makes tremendous power available [dynamic in its working].
17 Elijah was a human being with a nature such as we have [with feelings, affections, and a constitution like ours]; and he prayed earnestly for it not to rain, and no rain fell on the earth for three years and six months.
Amplified
The effective [o]prayer of a righteous man can accomplish much. 17 Elijah was a man with a nature like ours, and he prayed [p]earnestly that it would not rain, and it did not rain on the earth for three years and six months. 18 Then he prayed again, and the [q]sky [r]poured rain and the earth produced its fruit.
NASB
The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results.
New Living Translation
The active prayer of a righteous person has great power... Mounce interlinear
The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective. NIV
The prayer of a person living right with God is something powerful to be reckoned with. Elijah, for instance, human just like us, prayed hard that it wouldn’t rain, and it didn’t—not a drop for three and a half years. Then he prayed that it would rain, and it did. The showers came and everything started growing again. Message
Prayers offered by those who have God’s approval are effective. 17 Elijah was human like us. Yet, when he prayed that it wouldn’t rain, no rain fell on the ground for three-and-a-half years. God’s Word Translation

From these scripture we realise that it is not every prayer that is effective. Very prayer does not get God’s attention. Some prayers are ‘Micky mouse prayers’ and do not go beyond the roof. They are a waste of time. They do not prevail or avail because there is no travail in them.
From What Jesus told us in Matt6 we see that the prayer which gets God’s attention must not be for showing of. Whereas it does not mean we cannot pray in public, but it should not be done to make us look good in the eyes of those around us. It must be God focused- not man focused.
Secondly it must not be couched in vain repetitions.

Further examination of the scriptures from James 5 gives us a practical example in the life of Elijah who was effective in his prayer. He prayer for rain to stop and it did for three and half years. He prayed again and God sent rain.

From that scripture we learn also that Elijah “a man with a nature like ours (with feelings, affections, and a constitution like ours )“ What then was the difference? He prayed earnestly (
What is the meaning of ‘earnestly’?
Marked by or showing deep sincerity or seriousness: an earnest gesture of goodwill.
2. Of an important or weighty nature; grave.

1. With a purposeful or sincere intent: settled down to study in earnest for the examination.
2. Serious; determined: "
Looking at a thesaurus we see a clearer picture when we look at synonymous words:
1. seriously, truly, sincerely, in earnest, in all sincerity `Do you really mean it?' she asked earnestly.
2. genuinely, keenly, eagerly, passionately, enthusiastically, fervently, ardently, fanatically, devotedly I earnestly hope what I learned will serve me well in my new job.
3. sincerely, really, truly, honestly, wholeheartedly, in all sincerity, from the bottom of your heart

Another dictionary adds:
with great force
Synonyms: actively, angrily, animatedly, boisterously, briskly, brutally, cruelly, earnestly , energetically, ferociously, fiercely, forcibly, frantically, furiously, heavily, intensely, keenly, like fury, madly, meanly, painfully, powerfully, relentlessly, rigorously, roughly, rowdily, savagely, seriously, severely, sharply, spiritedly, sprightly, stormily, strongly, tumultously/tumultuously, turbulently, uproariously, urgently, viciously, vigorously, violently, vivaciously, wildly, with all one's might
Antonyms: gently, softly

Therefore effective prayer, prayer that Gets God’s attention, prevailing prayer, prayer that will be reckoned with; prayer that has power- tremendous power, must be serious, sincere, genuine, passionate, fervent, prayed fiercely, vivaciously, sometimes wildly, with fury often, from the bottom of your heart, prayed devotedly and enthusiastically, intensely, boisterously; prayed animatedly, spiritedly, occasionally stormily, turbulently, ferociously, rigorously; it has to be energetic, dynamic , often violently relentlessly, with importunity , confidently and purposefully.

That is the type of prayer that gets God’s attention.
That is not to say every prayer has to be prayed violently. When Jesus spoke to the sea: ‘Peace be still!’ I believe He spoke with authority and confidently rather than violently and the sea and storm obeyed.
http://thesaurus.com/browse/earnestly?s=b

Prayer that Get God’s attention must be with preceded by:

Intimacy

Intimacy gives you confidence to be importunate

15 Call upon Me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you, and you shall glorify Me."
16 But to the wicked God says: "What right have you to declare My statutes, Or take My covenant in your mouth,
17 Seeing you hate instruction And cast My words behind you?

In this psalm we are given the impression that before you can confidently stand on the promises of God, you must have intimacy with Him. You must be one who obeys His word. Just as healing the bread of the children, (Mark7:27), the promises of God are for those who have accepted Jesus as Lord and Saviour and walking in obedience to Him. It is not for all comers.
The question then is: are you born again? Is Jesus Lord of your life? is He Lord of ALL. He has to be Lord of all to be Lord AT ALL.
It is then you can confidently rely on His promises and pray them, expecting results.

The model prayer:
9 In this manner, therefore, pray: Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name.
10 Your kingdom come. Your will be done On earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts, As we forgive our debtors.
13 And do not lead us into temptation, But deliver us from the evil one. For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.

Jesus gave us a model prayer from which we can learn lots of lessons:
This prayer is not meant to be repeated para- fashion. We need to learn the lessons from it and apply it in our prayers.
First and foremost, the prayer implies a relationship, hence it begins with ‘Our Father’ You have to be part of God’s family to pray this prayer with confidence.
He then follows it with praise, adoration and adulation: ‘hollowed be your name.’
He follows that with God’s Kingdom and God’s will- God’s agenda before he comes to personal needs.
This shows us also that whilst it does not mean that every prayer we pray must have this pattern we need to take good notice that our prayers are not just one-sided- on our needs. We need to incorporate praise, worship, thanks and God’s agenda when we pray. And as we seek God’s first all other things will be added unto us.

Faith
6 But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.
The prayer of faith
It is the prayer of faith that gets god’s attention
14 Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord.
15 And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven.
James5

No Doubt
If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.
6 But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for he who doubts is like a wave of the sea driven and tossed by the wind.
7 For let not that man suppose that he will receive anything from the Lord;
8 he is a double-minded man, unstable in all his ways. James1:

35 On the same day, when evening had come, He said to them, "Let us cross over to the other side."
36 Now when they had left the multitude, they took Him along in the boat as He was. And other little boats were also with Him.
37 And a great windstorm arose, and the waves beat into the boat, so that it was already filling.
38 But He was in the stern, asleep on a pillow. And they awoke Him and said to Him, "Teacher, do You not care that we are perishing?"
39 Then He arose and rebuked the wind, and said to the sea, "Peace, be still!" And the wind ceased and there was a great calm.
40 But He said to them, "Why are you so fearful? How is it that you have no faith?"
41 And they feared exceedingly, and said to one another, "Who can this be, that even the wind and the sea obey Him!"
Mark4:35-41
19 Now therefore, send and gather all Israel to me on Mount Carmel, the four hundred and fifty prophets of Baal, and the four hundred prophets of Asherah, who eat at Jezebel's table."
20 So Ahab sent for all the children of Israel, and gathered the prophets together on Mount Carmel.
21 And Elijah came to all the people, and said, "How long will you falter between two opinions? If the LORD is God, follow Him; but if Baal, follow him." But the people answered him not a word.
22 Then Elijah said to the people, "I alone am left a prophet of the LORD; but Baal's prophets are four hundred and fifty men.
23 Therefore let them give us two bulls; and let them choose one bull for themselves, cut it in pieces, and lay it on the wood, but put no fire under it; and I will prepare the other bull, and lay it on the wood, but put no fire under it.
24 Then you call on the name of your gods, and I will call on the name of the LORD; and the God who answers by fire, He is God." So all the people answered and said, "It is well spoken."
25 Now Elijah said to the prophets of Baal, "Choose one bull for yourselves and prepare it first, for you are many; and call on the name of your god, but put no fire under it."
26 So they took the bull which was given them, and they prepared it, and called on the name of Baal from morning even till noon, saying, "O Baal, hear us!" But there was no voice; no one answered. Then they leaped about the altar which they had made.
27 And so it was, at noon, that Elijah mocked them and said, "Cry aloud, for he is a god; either he is meditating, or he is busy, or he is on a journey, or perhaps he is sleeping and must be awakened."
28 So they cried aloud, and cut themselves, as was their custom, with knives and lances, until the blood gushed out on them.
29 And when midday was past, they prophesied until the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice. But there was no voice; no one answered, no one paid attention.
30 Then Elijah said to all the people, "Come near to me." So all the people came near to him. And he repaired the altar of the LORD that was broken down.
31 And Elijah took twelve stones, according to the number of the tribes of the sons of Jacob, to whom the word of the LORD had come, saying, "Israel shall be your name."
32 Then with the stones he built an altar in the name of the LORD; and he made a trench around the altar large enough to hold two seahs of seed.
33 And he put the wood in order, cut the bull in pieces, and laid it on the wood, and said, "Fill four waterpots with water, and pour it on the burnt sacrifice and on the wood."
34 Then he said, "Do it a second time," and they did it a second time; and he said, "Do it a third time," and they did it a third time.
35 So the water ran all around the altar; and he also filled the trench with water.
36 And it came to pass, at the time of the offering of the evening sacrifice, that Elijah the prophet came near and said, "LORD God of Abraham, Isaac, and Israel, let it be known this day that You are God in Israel and I am Your servant, and that I have done all these things at Your word.
37 Hear me, O LORD, hear me, that this people may know that You are the LORD God, and that You have turned their hearts back to You again."
38 Then the fire of the LORD fell and consumed the burnt sacrifice, and the wood and the stones and the dust, and it licked up the water that was in the trench.
39 Now when all the people saw it, they fell on their faces; and they said, "The LORD, He is God! The LORD, He is God!"
40 And Elijah said to them, "Seize the prophets of Baal! Do not let one of them escape!" So they seized them; and Elijah brought them down to the Brook Kishon and executed them there.
Elijah knew the God he served and prayed a prayer of faith which was less than 2 minutes. And fire fell from heaven and consumed the sacrifice and licked up all the water, wood stone and dust. That is the power of our God. when you know Him so well He can use you too to perform such wonders and people around will see and attest like those pagans: ‘ The Lord, He is God! ‘The Lord, He is God!’...
We badly need such display of the power or God in our age to confound cynics and scoffers.
Right motives
Whereas if we do not pray we should not expect to receive, if we pray amiss, with the wrong motives, we negate our prayers. We cannot deceive God. God knows everything and knows our motives. So we need to examine ourselves before we pray and ensure that our prayers are with a pure motive.
2 You lust and do not have. You murder and covet and cannot obtain. You fight and war. Yet you do not have because you do not ask.
3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures.

It follows that our prayers should be according to what God wants. They should not be selfish. We must see a bigger picture in order to pray effectively.
1 And Elijah the Tishbite, of the inhabitants of Gilead, said to Ahab, "As the LORD God of Israel lives, before whom I stand, there shall not be dew nor rain these years, except at my word."1kings17:1

This is a prophet who knew who he was. He knew his relationship with God. He knew he represented God in the land and he spoke with authority and confidence and God backed his word.Passion, Importunity

41 Then Elijah said to Ahab, "Go up, eat and drink; for there is the sound of abundance of rain."
42 So Ahab went up to eat and drink. And Elijah went up to the top of Carmel; then he bowed down on the ground, and put his face between his knees,
43 and said to his servant, "Go up now, look toward the sea." So he went up and looked, and said, "There is nothing." And seven times he said, "Go again."
44 Then it came to pass the seventh time, that he said, "There is a cloud, as small as a man's hand, rising out of the sea!" So he said, "Go up, say to Ahab, 'Prepare your chariot, and go down before the rain stops you.' "
45 Now it happened in the meantime that the sky became black with clouds and wind, and there was a heavy rain. So Ahab rode away and went to Jezreel.
46 Then the hand of the LORD came upon Elijah; and he girded up his loins and ran ahead of Ahab to the entrance of Jezreel. 1Kings18

We can see passion in the prayer of Elijah, not just confidence. Often there will be no result when we pray, even confidently and we have to be ready to go the extra mile and be ferocious, violent if need be. We must rise above decorum and dignity and ‘bowed down on the ground, and put (our) face between (our) knees’

We have seen ferocity and importunity with Elijah which triggered the reference in James5. Now let us see importunity and ferocity in the life of the prophet who took over from Elijah. This is not a transference of spirit but I believe God showing us example to follow.

25 And so she departed, and went to the man of God at Mount Carmel. So it was, when the man of God saw her afar off, that he said to his servant Gehazi, "Look, the Shunammite woman!
26 Please run now to meet her, and say to her, 'Is it well with you? Is it well with your husband? Is it well with the child?' " And she answered, "It is well."
27 Now when she came to the man of God at the hill, she caught him by the feet, but Gehazi came near to push her away. But the man of God said, "Let her alone; for her soul is in deep distress, and the LORD has hidden it from me, and has not told me."
28 So she said, "Did I ask a son of my lord? Did I not say, 'Do not deceive me'?"
29 Then he said to Gehazi, "Get yourself ready, and take my staff in your hand, and be on your way. If you meet anyone, do not greet him; and if anyone greets you, do not answer him; but lay my staff on the face of the child."
30 And the mother of the child said, "As the LORD lives, and as your soul lives, I will not leave you." So he arose and followed her.
31 Now Gehazi went on ahead of them, and laid the staff on the face of the child; but there was neither voice nor hearing. Therefore he went back to meet him, and told him, saying, "The child has not awakened."
32 When Elisha came into the house, there was the child, lying dead on his bed.
33 He went in therefore, shut the door behind the two of them, and prayed to the LORD.
34 And he went up and lay on the child, and put his mouth on his mouth, his eyes on his eyes, and his hands on his hands; and he stretched himself out on the child, and the flesh of the child became warm.
35 He returned and walked back and forth in the house, and again went up and stretched himself out on him; then the child sneezed seven times, and the child opened his eyes.
36 And he called Gehazi and said, "Call this Shunammite woman." So he called her. And when she came in to him, he said, "Pick up your son." 2Kings4:25-36
It was the prophet who initiated the miracle of a baby for this woman at her old age. Her husband was old too so there was no hope for them. yet they were generous and hospitable to the prophet and gave him a place to stay during his itinerary through their city.
Surprisingly after a few years of the pleasure holding a baby, the baby died. What a tragedy! You would say it would have been better if the child did not come in the first place than for it to come and then die.

The woman quickly went to the prophet and would not leave till he accompanied her back home. She was tenacious. There was fire in her eyes and the prophet knew it.
He sent his aide with his walking stick but it did not work and he had to come himself.
He soon discovered it was a big challenge of his faith too. He did what some people would call ‘child abuse’ in this day - lay on the child, and put his mouth on his mouth, his eyes on his eyes, and his hands on his hands; and he stretched himself out on the child. But he got the result: the flesh of the child became warm.

However the battle was not over. The child was still dead despite the warmness of his flesh.
He returned and walked back and forth in the house, and again went up and stretched himself out on him; then the child sneezed seven times, and the child opened his eyes.

We can see, without any shadow of a doubt, faith, passion, importunity, ferocity all rolled up together.
Why did it happen? We cannot say for sure. One thing we know is that it is the enemy who comes to kill steal and destroy. That is his job description. If we allow him then he wins but if we stand our ground in the name of Jesus, regardless how sorely we are tried, god will give us victory.

The lesson here is that our faith will be tried many times and we must learn to remain resolute, immovable and tenacious until victory comes. God also allowed the situation to stretch the prophet.
1Pet1
7 that the genuineness of your faith, being much more precious than gold that perishes, though it is tested by fire, may be found to praise, honor, and glory at the revelation of Jesus Christ,1Pet1:7
2 My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials,
3 knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience.
4 But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing.
Jam1:2-4
5 And He said to them, "Which of you shall have a friend, and go to him at midnight and say to him, 'Friend, lend me three loaves;
6 for a friend of mine has come to me on his journey, and I have nothing to set before him';
7 and he will answer from within and say, 'Do not trouble me; the door is now shut, and my children are with me in bed; I cannot rise and give to you'?
8 I say to you, though he will not rise and give to him because he is his friend, yet because of his persistence he will rise and give him as many as he needs.

Notice that the friend will rise up and meet the needs of his friend because of his persistence (importunity- not just intimacy).

Another example of importunity is found in Luke18

1 Then He spoke a parable to them, that men always ought to pray and not lose heart,
2 saying: "There was in a certain city a judge who did not fear God nor regard man.
3 Now there was a widow in that city; and she came to him, saying, 'Get justice for me from my adversary.'
4 And he would not for a while; but afterward he said within himself, 'Though I do not fear God nor regard man,
5 yet because this widow troubles me I will avenge her, lest by her continual coming she weary me.' "
6 Then the Lord said, "Hear what the unjust judge said.
7 And shall God not avenge His own elect who cry out day and night to Him, though He bears long with them?
8 I tell you that He will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless, when the Son of Man comes, will He really find faith on the earth?"

So we need to come to God with confidence and persistence, not giving up easily and we will receive the answers to our prayers. God would often stretch our faith and try our faith, so that it becomes more robust and elastic and able to believe for greater or bigger things in regard to his kingdom. Great faith produces great results. If faith as small as a mustard seed will move mountains, then you can imagine what great faith can do. There are three types of faith: weak, little and great. Which one do you have? It is also note worthy that we often have strong faith in certain areas and weak faith in other areas, depending on our walk with god and our experiences. That is why it is a walk of faith, a journey of faith. We press on, increase as we exercise our faith daily and in different areas of our lives. We need to grow in all areas and we will be tried again and again in certain areas: finance, health, purpose, relationships etc.

Another example of importunity was when Abraham was interceding for Sodom and Gomorrah. He kept coming and coming and coming.

20 And the LORD said, "Because the outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is great, and because their sin is very grave,
21 I will go down now and see whether they have done altogether according to the outcry against it that has come to Me; and if not, I will know."
22 Then the men turned away from there and went toward Sodom, but Abraham still stood before the LORD.
23 And Abraham came near and said, "Would You also destroy the righteous with the wicked?
24 Suppose there were fifty righteous within the city; would You also destroy the place and not spare it for the fifty righteous that were in it?
25 Far be it from You to do such a thing as this, to slay the righteous with the wicked, so that the righteous should be as the wicked; far be it from You! Shall not the Judge of all the earth do right?"
26 So the LORD said, "If I find in Sodom fifty righteous within the city, then I will spare all the place for their sakes."
27 Then Abraham answered and said, "Indeed now, I who am but dust and ashes have taken it upon myself to speak to the Lord:
28 Suppose there were five less than the fifty righteous; would You destroy all of the city for lack of five?" So He said, "If I find there forty-five, I will not destroy it."
29 And he spoke to Him yet again and said, "Suppose there should be forty found there?" So He said, "I will not do it for the sake of forty."
30 Then he said, "Let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak: Suppose thirty should be found there?" So He said, "I will not do it if I find thirty there."
31 And he said, "Indeed now, I have taken it upon myself to speak to the Lord: Suppose twenty should be found there?" So He said, "I will not destroy it for the sake of twenty."
32 Then he said, "Let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak but once more: Suppose ten should be found there?" And He said, "I will not destroy it for the sake of ten."
33 So the LORD went His way as soon as He had finished speaking with Abraham; and Abraham returned to his place.Gen18:20-33

Abraham was persistent. He refused to relent from fifty to fifty-five righteous until ten. That is importunity.

Jacob wrestling with an angel
We see real war here between Jacob and the angel. Why?
24 Then Jacob was left alone; and a Man wrestled with him until the breaking of day.
25 Now when He saw that He did not prevail against him, He touched the socket of his hip; and the socket of Jacob's hip was out of joint as He wrestled with him.
26 And He said, "Let Me go, for the day breaks." But he said, "I will not let You go unless You bless me!"
27 So He said to him, "What is your name?" He said, "Jacob."
28 And He said, "Your name shall no longer be called Jacob, but Israel; for you have struggled with God and with men, and have prevailed."
29 Then Jacob asked, saying, "Tell me Your name, I pray." And He said, "Why is it that you ask about My name?" And He blessed him there.
30 So Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: "For I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved."
31 Just as he crossed over Penuel the sun rose on him, and he limped on his hip.
32 Therefore to this day the children of Israel do not eat the muscle that shrank, which is on the hip socket, because He touched the socket of Jacob's hip in the muscle that shrank.

Jacob had been a schemer, deceiver, con man, wheeler and dealer, running from pillar to post. How long will he continue to run from his brother?
He wanted God’s intervention in his life. Prophecy had it that he would rule over his brother but he went about it the wrong way. So he wrestled with the angel for a change in his destiny; for an alignment of his purpose that was threatened. "I will not let You go unless You bless me!" was his stance. And God blessed him.

From this scenario we can see the picture Paul painted in Ephesians 6
11 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.
13 Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.
14 Stand therefore, having girded your waist with truth, having put on the breastplate of righteousness,
15 and having shod your feet with the preparation of the gospel of peace;
16 above all, taking the shield of faith with which you will be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked one.
17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God;
18 praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints ---

Often we will not only wrestle with principalities and power but also with God as we see in the case of Jacob. And God delights in that. That is how we grow in grace and reach higher height and deeper depths.

9 "So I say to you, ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.
10 For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened.

11 If a son asks for bread from any father among you, will he give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent instead of a fish?
12 Or if he asks for an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?
13 If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!" Luke11

Understanding of the levels of prayer
"Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you.
Matt7:7
The levels of prayer
Ask Level1
Seek Level2
Knock level3
In this scripture I can see three levels or degrees of prayer.
There are occasions when you pray a simple prayer and the result comes without much effort. This also happens when you are a new Christian. This is level 1.

Level2
However as you grow in grace God expects you to mature and know when and how to seek his face with determination and passion regarding certain issues that will not go away or give you the result you desire by a simple prayer.
This requires protracted, passionate, preponderant, importunate and ferocious prayer. It may require searching the scriptures to back your prayer because God answers prayers based on His word- not your emotions, even though passion is required in your prayers.

Foundation or premise of His Word
God honours His word.
Isa55:1-11
Heb6:18 It is impossible for God to lie. There is no variableness in Him.
The word of God is the sword of the Spirit.
Eph6:17
Heaven and earth will pass away but his word will not pass away. It is settled in heaven. Matt24:35
The words that He had spoken are spirit and they are life. John6:63
The word of God is powerful.Heb4:12
God is a God of integrity. He is not a man that He should lie. Num23:19
He watches over his word to perform it or bring it to pass. Jer1:12

This is why our payers must be based on the word of God.
If we want answers we must pray the promises; pray the word; pray the covenant.

6 But now He has obtained a more excellent ministry, inasmuch as He is also Mediator of a better covenant, which was established on better promises. Heb8:6

14 Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us.
15 And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him.
1John1:14-15

7 If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.
John15:7

Put God in remembrance
26 Put Me in remembrance; Let us contend together; State your case, that you may be acquitted.Isa43:26
Prayer can often be like a lawyer pleading the case for his client in a court of law.
He would be foolish if he goes in there unprepared and tells the judge to quit his client because he is a good man.
He has to not only give convincing evidence but also refer to precedence (case law) and statutes (acts of parliament) or other law (common law). He has to be robust and thorough to be successful.
The scripture above tell us the same. Remind me. Let’s reason together. State your case. Why should I give you what you are asking for? Why should I acquit you? Why should I absolve you?
Before you begin to think this is being legalistic, let us see its application and working in the scriptures.

Jehoshaphat's Prayer
Jehoshaphat knew how to have power with God. He knew that Abraham had a special relationship with God and would not deny him and so he roped in Abraham in his prayer:

‘Are You not our God, who drove out the inhabitants of this land before Your people Israel, and gave it to the descendants of Abraham Your friend forever?’

"O LORD God of our fathers, are You not God in heaven, and do You not rule over all the kingdoms of the nations, and in Your hand is there not power and might, so that no one is able to withstand You?
7 Are You not our God, who drove out the inhabitants of this land before Your people Israel, and gave it to the descendants of Abraham Your friend forever?
8 And they dwell in it, and have built You a sanctuary in it for Your name, saying,
9 'If disaster comes upon us --- sword, judgment, pestilence, or famine --- we will stand before this temple and in Your presence (for Your name is in this temple), and cry out to You in our affliction, and You will hear and save.'
10 And now, here are the people of Ammon, Moab, and Mount Seir --- whom You would not let Israel invade when they came out of the land of Egypt, but they turned from them and did not destroy them ---
11 here they are, rewarding us by coming to throw us out of Your possession which You have given us to inherit.
12 O our God, will You not judge them? For we have no power against this great multitude that is coming against us; nor do we know what to do, but our eyes are upon You."
We too need to rope in Jesus and what he had done on our behalf when we pray to our Father. That is the prayer that gets God’s attention.

Rhetorical Questions and prevailing prayers
Another lesson from this prayer is the literary device- rhetorical questions -that Jehoshaphat was using. We need to discover this secret in our prayer and use rhetorical questions.
O LORD God of our fathers, are You not God in heaven, and do You not rule over all the kingdoms of the nations, and in Your hand is there not power and might, so that no one is able to withstand You?

Are You not our God, who drove out the inhabitants of this land before Your people Israel, and gave it to the descendants of Abraham Your friend forever?
O our God, will You not judge them? (2Chro20:6,7,12)

Yet again he was not afraid to let his emotions to be involved. The use of ‘O LORD God of our fathers’ ‘O our God...’ are all indications of passion and emotion which we must let into our prayer. Remember that the prayer that avails much must be heartfelt. It needs to be passionate, ferocious and also word-based, not just emotional.

Prayer of praise and worship
Another lesson from King Jehoshaphat’s prayer is worship and praise which is evident from the beginning.

"O LORD God of our fathers, are You not God in heaven, and do You not rule over all the kingdoms of the nations, and in Your hand is there not power and might, so that no one is able to withstand You?

We saw the practical application of this when Paul and Silas, who had been beaten battered and broken , even bleeding after they had obeyed God and preached at Philippi, at midnight raised their voices to pray and praise God.
It got God’s attention and the foundation of that prison was rocked and the doors and windows were flung open and their chains fell off.
As a result the Jailor was so overwhelmed by their response that he wanted to know what to do to be saved. God on that occasion exceeded the expectation of the Paul and Silas.

23 And when they had laid many stripes on them, they threw them into prison, commanding the jailer to keep them securely.
24 Having received such a charge, he put them into the inner prison and fastened their feet in the stocks.
25 But at midnight Paul and Silas were praying and singing hymns to God, and the prisoners were listening to them.
26 Suddenly there was a great earthquake, so that the foundations of the prison were shaken; and immediately all the doors were opened and everyone's chains were loosed.
27 And the keeper of the prison, awaking from sleep and seeing the prison doors open, supposing the prisoners had fled, drew his sword and was about to kill himself.
28 But Paul called with a loud voice, saying, "Do yourself no harm, for we are all here."
29 Then he called for a light, ran in, and fell down trembling before Paul and Silas.
30 And he brought them out and said, "Sirs, what must I do to be saved?"
31 So they said, "Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and you will be saved, you and your household."
32 Then they spoke the word of the Lord to him and to all who were in his house.
33 And he took them the same hour of the night and washed their stripes. And immediately he and all his family were baptized.
34 Now when he had brought them into his house, he set food before them; and he rejoiced, having believed in God with all his household.
Act16:25-34

David knew how to praise God:
10 Therefore David blessed the LORD before all the assembly; and David said: " Blessed are You, LORD God of Israel, our Father, forever and ever.
11 Yours, O LORD, is the greatness, The power and the glory, The victory and the majesty; For all that is in heaven and in earth is Yours; Yours is the kingdom, O LORD, And You are exalted as head over all.
12 Both riches and honor come from You, And You reign over all. In Your hand is power and might; In Your hand it is to make great And to give strength to all.
13 " Now therefore, our God, We thank You And praise Your glorious name.1Chro29

5 Then Jehoshaphat stood in the assembly of Judah and Jerusalem, in the house of the LORD, before the new court,2Chro20:5:

The posture of King Jehoshaphat also indicates humility. He stood before God.

Solomon spread his hands to heaven.

22 Then Solomon stood before the altar of the LORD in the presence of all the assembly of Israel, and spread out his hands toward heaven;
23 and he said: "LORD God of Israel, there is no God in heaven above or on earth below like You, who keep Your covenant and mercy with Your servants who walk before You with all their hearts.
24 You have kept what You promised Your servant David my father; You have both spoken with Your mouth and fulfilled it with Your hand, as it is this day.

Notice the praise and the affirmation of the integrity of God. That gets God’s attention!

25 Therefore, LORD God of Israel, now keep what You promised Your servant David my father, saying, 'You shall not fail to have a man sit before Me on the throne of Israel, only if your sons take heed to their way, that they walk before Me as you have walked before Me.'
26 And now I pray, O God of Israel, let Your word come true, which You have spoken to Your servant David my father.
27 "But will God indeed dwell on the earth? Behold, heaven and the heaven of heavens cannot contain You. How much less this temple which I have built!
1Kings8

Level 3 of prayer, where you knock takes you to a ferocious mode.
12 And from the days of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffers violence, and the violent take it by force. Matt11:12
4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds,
5 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,
2Cor10:4-5

This type of prayer also involves Prayer and Fasting31

But those who wait on the LORD Shall renew their strength; They shall mount up with wings like eagles, They shall run and not be weary, They shall walk and not faint.

Jehoshaphat knew that he faced a formidable army- a confederacy that overwhelmed. Their army was like the sands of the sea. He knew it would take more than a simple prayer so he proclaimed a time of prayer and fasting.
The disciples of Jesus were ignorant of this level when they were challenged by a Gordian knot which required more than a simple prayer. They tried hard but could not cast out the demon in a child.
Later on Jesus arrived and the parents of the child took him to Jesus and Jesus cast the demon away. He however taught the disciples a lesson, saying,
21 However, this kind does not go out except by prayer and fasting." Matt17:21

Why was Paul mightily used by God? He understood the importance of prayer and fasting.

27 in weariness and toil, in sleeplessness often, in hunger and thirst, in fastings often, in cold and nakedness 2Cor11:27

When Jesus had fasted for forty days and forty nights he came out in the power of the Spirit and started teaching with authority and doing signs and wonders.
14 Then Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit to Galilee, and news of Him went out through all the surrounding region. Luke4:14

Daniel understood by studying the books that the captivity should have come to an end. He remembered being taken away as a teenager and now he was nearing 90. He knew that there was a blockage of the promise of God and he began to intercede and God brought the breakthrough.
This is a great lesson for us regarding the promises that we have received. Often there will be a blockage and we need to be wise like Daniel and know what to do.

2 in the first year of his reign I, Daniel, understood by the books the number of the years specified by the word of the LORD through Jeremiah the prophet, that He would accomplish seventy years in the desolations of Jerusalem.
3 Then I set my face toward the Lord God to make request by prayer and supplications, with fasting, sackcloth, and ashes.
4 And I prayed to the LORD my God, and made confession, and said, "O Lord, great and awesome God, who keeps His covenant and mercy with those who love Him, and with those who keep His commandments,
5 we have sinned and committed iniquity, we have done wickedly and rebelled, even by departing from Your precepts and Your judgments. Dan9:2-5

32 of the sons of Issachar who had understanding of the times, to know what Israel ought to do, their chiefs were two hundred; and all their brethren were at their command;
1 Chro12:32

Mordecai was also sensitive and knew what Esther should do when the lives of the Jews were on the line following a decree passed in Shushan, masterminded by Haman, the enemy of the Jews. And because Esther was jolted into action backed with prayer and fasting by her people they were speared what would have been the first holocaust.
Haman was like Hitler who wanted to exterminate the Jews in Nazi Germany. But God made a provision before the need arose and placed Esther strategically. Mordecai was like the Holy Spirit who guided Esther and counselled her as to what to do.

So learn to listen to the Holy Spirit – the Cousellor, the Standby, Guide, Advocate, Teacher, Comforter and Strengthener. He will guide you into all truth. He will show you things to come. He will give you insight into the future.

13 And Mordecai told them to answer Esther: "Do not think in your heart that you will escape in the king's palace any more than all the other Jews.
14 For if you remain completely silent at this time, relief and deliverance will arise for the Jews from another place, but you and your father's house will perish. Yet who knows whether you have come to the kingdom for such a time as this?"

15 Then Esther told them to reply to Mordecai:
16 "Go, gather all the Jews who are present in Shushan, and fast for me; neither eat nor drink for three days, night or day. My maids and I will fast likewise. And so I will go to the king, which is against the law; and if I perish, I perish!"

As a result of prayer and fasting God gave Esther the wisdom to know what to do and the result was that wicked Harman was not only hung on the gallows he had built but the holocaust was averted and the Jews had victory over their enemies. Esther: 6 and 7

When the disciples prayed and fasted and ministered to the Lord they got God’s attention and God spoke to them and directed them as to what to do:

1 Now in the church that was at Antioch there were certain prophets and teachers: Barnabas, Simeon who was called Niger, Lucius of Cyrene, Manaen who had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul.
2 As they ministered to the Lord and fasted, the Holy Spirit said, "Now separate to Me Barnabas and Saul for the work to which I have called them."
3 Then, having fasted and prayed, and laid hands on them, they sent them away.
4 So, being sent out by the Holy Spirit, they went down to Seleucia, and from there they sailed to Cyprus.

When we pray and fast we should expect to hear from the Lord. The disciples’ experience is not a thing of the past. When we expect to hear from Him, He will speak to us. However we need to know the way He speaks and be open to Him to use one of those ways to speak to us. We cannot compel Him to speak to us the way we want. He is sovereign and can use any method- prophecy, audible voice, inward witness, tongues and interpretation, word of knowledge, word of wisdom, dream etc.

When King Jehoshaphat fasted and prayed when surrounded by his enemies and outnumbered many times, God spoke in a prophecy and not only encouraged him but also gave him the strategy to use:

"Listen, all you of Judah and you inhabitants of Jerusalem, and you, King Jehoshaphat! Thus says the LORD to you: 'Do not be afraid nor dismayed because of this great multitude, for the battle is not yours, but God's.
16 Tomorrow go down against them. They will surely come up by the Ascent of Ziz, and you will find them at the end of the brook before the Wilderness of Jeruel.
17 You will not need to fight in this battle. Position yourselves, stand still and see the salvation of the LORD, who is with you, O Judah and Jerusalem!' Do not fear or be dismayed; tomorrow go out against them, for the LORD is with you."
2Chro 20:15-17
Now see the seemingly ridiculous strategy which brough the miraculous:

18 And Jehoshaphat bowed his head with his face to the ground, and all Judah and the inhabitants of Jerusalem bowed before the LORD, worshiping the LORD.
19 Then the Levites of the children of the Kohathites and of the children of the Korahites stood up to praise the LORD God of Israel with voices loud and high.
20 So they rose early in the morning and went out into the Wilderness of Tekoa; and as they went out, Jehoshaphat stood and said, "Hear me, O Judah and you inhabitants of Jerusalem: Believe in the LORD your God, and you shall be established; believe His prophets, and you shall prosper."
21 And when he had consulted with the people, he appointed those who should sing to the LORD, and who should praise the beauty of holiness, as they went out before the army and were saying: " Praise the LORD, For His mercy endures forever."
22 Now when they began to sing and to praise, the LORD set ambushes against the people of Ammon, Moab, and Mount Seir, who had come against Judah; and they were defeated.
23 For the people of Ammon and Moab stood up against the inhabitants of Mount Seir to utterly kill and destroy them. And when they had made an end of the inhabitants of Seir, they helped to destroy one another.
24 So when Judah came to a place overlooking the wilderness, they looked toward the multitude; and there were their dead bodies, fallen on the earth. No one had escaped.
25 When Jehoshaphat and his people came to take away their spoil, they found among them an abundance of valuables on the dead bodies, and precious jewelry, which they stripped off for themselves, more than they could carry away; and they were three days gathering the spoil because there was so much.

When Nehemiah fasted and prayed, God gave him favour with the King who gave him permission to go and also gave him protection and provision.
Prayer and fasting gets God’s attention.

Prayers with vows

Prayers with vows carry weight with God. However, we must be careful not to make vows carelessly. If you make a vow, you must make a note of it and pay your vow or honour your vow when God answers your prayers.
14 "I have peace offerings with me; Today I have paid my vows. Prov7:14
25 It is a snare for a man to devote rashly something as holy, And afterward to reconsider his vows.Prov20:25
Proverbs 29
20 Do you see a man hasty in his words? There is more hope for a fool than for him.

4 When you make a vow to God, do not delay to pay it; For He has no pleasure in fools. Pay what you have vowed ---
5 Better not to vow than to vow and not pay Eccle5:4-5
1 Praise is awaiting You, O God, in Zion; And to You the vow shall be performed. Ps65:1
21 Then the LORD will be known to Egypt, and the Egyptians will know the LORD in that day, and will make sacrifice and offering; yes, they will make a vow to the LORD and perform it.
Isa19
9 But I will sacrifice to You With the voice of thanksgiving; I will pay what I have vowed. Salvation is of the LORD." Jon2:9
15 Behold, on the mountains The feet of him who brings good tidings, Who proclaims peace! O Judah, keep your appointed feasts, Perform your vows. For the wicked one shall no more pass through you; He is utterly cut off.
Nahum1:15
11 So he came to a certain place and stayed there all night, because the sun had set. And he took one of the stones of that place and put it at his head, and he lay down in that place to sleep.
12 Then he dreamed, and behold, a ladder was set up on the earth, and its top reached to heaven; and there the angels of God were ascending and descending on it.
13 And behold, the LORD stood above it and said: "I am the LORD God of Abraham your father and the God of Isaac; the land on which you lie I will give to you and your descendants.
14 Also your descendants shall be as the dust of the earth; you shall spread abroad to the west and the east, to the north and the south; and in you and in your seed all the families of the earth shall be blessed.
15 Behold, I am with you and will keep you wherever you go, and will bring you back to this land; for I will not leave you until I have done what I have spoken to you."
16 Then Jacob awoke from his sleep and said, "Surely the LORD is in this place, and I did not know it."
17 And he was afraid and said, "How awesome is this place! This is none other than the house of God, and this is the gate of heaven!"
18 Then Jacob rose early in the morning, and took the stone that he had put at his head, set it up as a pillar, and poured oil on top of it.
19 And he called the name of that place Bethel; but the name of that city had been Luz previously.
20 Then Jacob made a vow, saying, "If God will be with me, and keep me in this way that I am going, and give me bread to eat and clothing to put on,
21 so that I come back to my father's house in peace, then the LORD shall be my God.
22 And this stone which I have set as a pillar shall be God's house, and of all that You give me I will surely give a tenth to You."
Hannah vowed and paid her vow
10 And she was in bitterness of soul, and prayed to the LORD and wept in anguish.
11 Then she made a vow and said, "O LORD of hosts, if You will indeed look on the affliction of Your maidservant and remember me, and not forget Your maidservant, but will give Your maidservant a male child, then I will give him to the LORD all the days of his life, and no razor shall come upon his head." 1Sam1:10-11

17 Then Eli answered and said, "Go in peace, and the God of Israel grant your petition which you have asked of Him."
18 And she said, "Let your maidservant find favor in your sight." So the woman went her way and ate, and her face was no longer sad.
19 Then they rose early in the morning and worshiped before the LORD, and returned and came to their house at Ramah. And Elkanah knew Hannah his wife, and the LORD remembered her.
20 So it came to pass in the process of time that Hannah conceived and bore a son, and called his name Samuel, saying, "Because I have asked for him from the LORD."
21 Now the man Elkanah and all his house went up to offer to the LORD the yearly sacrifice and his vow.
22 But Hannah did not go up, for she said to her husband, "Not until the child is weaned; then I will take him, that he may appear before the LORD and remain there forever."
23 So Elkanah her husband said to her, "Do what seems best to you; wait until you have weaned him. Only let the LORD establish His word." Then the woman stayed and nursed her son until she had weaned him.
24 Now when she had weaned him, she took him up with her, with three bulls, one ephah of flour, and a skin of wine, and brought him to the house of the LORD in Shiloh. And the child was young.
25 Then they slaughtered a bull, and brought the child to Eli.
26 And she said, "O my lord! As your soul lives, my lord, I am the woman who stood by you here, praying to the LORD.
27 For this child I prayed, and the LORD has granted me my petition which I asked of Him.
28 Therefore I also have lent him to the LORD; as long as he lives he shall be lent to the LORD." So they worshiped the LORD there.

Praying the Promises of God
Pray the promises back to God this is the Logos what is written in the Word of God. Remind Him of His word when you pray. Find the scriptures relating to your concern and stand on that premise.
If it is healing: Lord you said:
Healing is ‘the bread of the children.’ And I am your child. It is written ‘by His stripes we were healed.’ Jesus took our infirmities and our sorrows.’
24 who Himself bore our sins in His own body on the tree, that we, having died to sins, might live for righteousness --- by whose stripes you were healed.
1Pet2:24
Isa53:4-5) Your word is medicine to our bodies.( Prov4:22)
Healing is your will for me.( 3John2)
2 Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers.

2 And behold, a leper came and worshiped Him, saying, "Lord, if You are willing, You can make me clean."
3 Then Jesus put out His hand and touched him, saying, "I am willing; be cleansed." Immediately his leprosy was cleansed.Matt8:2-3

Pray the rhema word you have received from Him.
This is the personal word you receive from God as you read the Word of God or listen to a preacher or in your private devotion.

Therefore, LORD God of Israel, now keep what You promised Your servant David my father, saying, 'You shall not fail to have a man sit before Me on the throne of Israel, only if your sons take heed to their way, that they walk before Me as you have walked before Me.'
26 And now I pray, O God of Israel, let Your word come true, which You have spoken to Your servant David my father.
We can see from this scripture that Solomon was knew what God had spoken not only to him but also his Father and was able to pray the prophecy back to God.

It is not every promise made to us that will come to pass in our life time. Some of them are for posterity and we need to pass on the baton like David did to his son who continued to plead the prophecy when he took over from his dad.
It is not arrogance to go to God and pray: ‘O God let Your word come true. Do what You have said.’
This was why Paul enjoined his spiritual son:
18 This charge I commit to you, son Timothy, according to the prophecies previously made concerning you, that by them you may wage the good warfare, 1Tim.1:18
So let us wage a good warfare with the prophecies we have received and obtain the promises.

3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh.
4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds,
5 casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ,
6 and being ready to punish all disobedience when your obedience is fulfilled.

Prayers Acknowledging the Sovereignty of God
8 Now Amalek came and fought with Israel in Rephidim.
9 And Moses said to Joshua, "Choose us some men and go out, fight with Amalek. Tomorrow I will stand on the top of the hill with the rod of God in my hand."
10 So Joshua did as Moses said to him, and fought with Amalek. And Moses, Aaron, and Hur went up to the top of the hill.
11 And so it was, when Moses held up his hand, that Israel prevailed; and when he let down his hand, Amalek prevailed.
12 But Moses' hands became heavy; so they took a stone and put it under him, and he sat on it. And Aaron and Hur supported his hands, one on one side, and the other on the other side; and his hands were steady until the going down of the sun.
13 So Joshua defeated Amalek and his people with the edge of the sword.
What an insightful picture!
Joshua was fighting below the valley and Pastor Moses was at the top of the mountain lifting up his hands to the Lord.
He was in effect say: the battle is the Lord’s even though we have to play our part. It is not by our might neither is it by our power but by the Spirit of the Living God.
As long as Moses’ hands were raised, Joshua prevailed in the battle below.
When he got tired and lowered his hands the enemy prevailed.

What is the connection and the lesson for us?

Moses was not just raising his hands but was acknowledging the sovereignty of God and interceding for the nation. And as long as he surrendered to the Lord and acknowledged Him, they won the battle.
The message is clear to us: ‘so long as we recognise the sovereignty and are surrendered to Him, we will prevail ultimately. It does not mean that we would not suffer temporary setbacks.

Prayer of Dedication Surrender or purpose
Closely related to the above is the Prayer of Jesus in the garden of Gethsemane. He came to the crossroad and surrendered to the will of the Father.
36 Then Jesus came with them to a place called Gethsemane, and said to the disciples, "Sit here while I go and pray over there."
37 And He took with Him Peter and the two sons of Zebedee, and He began to be sorrowful and deeply distressed.
38 Then He said to them, "My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even to death. Stay here and watch with Me."
39 He went a little farther and fell on His face, and prayed, saying, "O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will."
40 Then He came to the disciples and found them sleeping, and said to Peter, "What! Could you not watch with Me one hour?
41 Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak."
42 Again, a second time, He went away and prayed, saying, "O My Father, if this cup cannot pass away from Me unless I drink it, Your will be done."
43 And He came and found them asleep again, for their eyes were heavy.
44 So He left them, went away again, and prayed the third time, saying the same words.

Also on the cross, Jesus prayed prayers of purpose which got the attention of His Father.
“Father, forgive them. For they know not what they do.
“My God, my God, why have you forsaken Me.
Father, into Your hands I commend My Spirit.”

Jesus always got the attention of His Father. He is our perfect example in all matters.
41 Then they took away the stone from the place where the dead man was lying. And Jesus lifted up His eyes and said, "Father, I thank You that You have heard Me.
42 And I know that You always hear Me, but because of the people who are standing by I said this, that they may believe that You sent Me."
All His prayers will be examples of prayers that get God’s attention like His High priestly prayer in John 17

Prevailing prayer has to be purposeful, persistent, in faith, passionate, sincere, self-less and in line with the promises of God.

©Fenny West2012
http://inspiration4generations.wordpress.com/2012/07/27/olympic-series-the-race-of-grace-1-preparation/
fennywest
fennywest
Christian Talk Moderators

Mood : Amused
Male

Number of posts : 1725
Marital Status : Single
Registration date : 2009-10-19

Warning : Prevailing Prayers 110

http://www.inspiration4generations.com

Back to top Go down