Christian Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How many angels were at the tomb- One or Two?

4 posters

Go down

How many angels were at the tomb- One or Two? Empty How many angels were at the tomb- One or Two?

Post  Waqar Daniel Wed 28 Nov 2007, 3:22 am

How many angels were at the tomb - one or two?

This is a pet question of non-believers who like to denounce the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. They will be very quick to point out that according to Gospels recorded by Mathew and Luke, there is only one angel, whereas, John and Mark record two angels at the tomb, when Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James and Salome visited the grave of Jesus Christ on Sabbath day after His crucifixion.

His appearance was like lightning, and his clothes white as snow...The angel said to the women...(Mathew 28:2-6)

As they entered the tomb, they saw a young man dressed in white robe..."Don't be alarmed", he said, "You are looking for Jesus..." (Mark 16:4-6)

VS

While they were wondering about ths, suddenly two men in clothes that gleamed like lightning stood beside them..."Why do you look for the living among the dead?" (Luke 24:4-6)

...and saw two angels in white seated where Jesus' body had been, one at the head and the other at the foot (John 20:12-13)

Actually nothing is contradictory here. Mathew and Mark talked of two angels and mentioned the appearance of one and quoted the statement of the other angel who conversed with Mary Magdalene, Mary the mother of James and Salome. Luke and John record in detail whereas, Mathew and Mark record the necessary things in the event - Jesus is risen.
Waqar Daniel
Waqar Daniel
Administrator

Mood : I feel Blessed
Male

Number of posts : 2778
Profession : Consultant
Hobbies : Long drives, Gospel music, Bible study
Marital Status : Married
Registration date : 2007-06-25
Country : How many angels were at the tomb- One or Two? RedCross-1

Warning : How many angels were at the tomb- One or Two? 110

https://christian-talk.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

How many angels were at the tomb- One or Two? Empty Re: How many angels were at the tomb- One or Two?

Post  thirsty Wed 28 Nov 2007, 7:25 am

Thank you for explaining this as I read about this contradiction on a muslim website. I struggled to find an answer but nearly all of them said, while copying down, the copyist made a mistake. I will be looking forward for other answers too.

God bless
thirsty
thirsty
Christian Talk Member

Female

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2007-07-16

Back to top Go down

How many angels were at the tomb- One or Two? Empty Re: How many angels were at the tomb- One or Two?

Post  dove Wed 28 Nov 2007, 3:14 pm

Thank you Daniel for posting this here. It is good to explain things that seem difficult passages in the Bible. I hope that we will be reading lots of such misunderstood passages from the Bible. I also struggled with this passage when a colleague of mine raised the same question. Even though I have full faith in Bible as Word of God but I was speechless and had no answer. Thank you for explaining it.

God bless
dove
dove
Christian Talk Member

Female

Number of posts : 246
Marital Status : Still Looking
Registration date : 2007-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post  LivinginChrist Thu 29 Nov 2007, 5:20 pm

Sweet explanation! Yes, when I read the verses, I realized that Mathew gave description of one angel but quoted the one who talked with the women. Bible is interesting and full of knowledge. It really make sense to me.

God bless
LivinginChrist
LivinginChrist
Christian Talk Member

Male

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2007-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down