Christian Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dinosaurs in the Bible?

+8
Waqar Daniel
ChristianLady
lovingdove
FaithfulSon
AngelicSmile
4given
saved
lisa1880
12 posters

Go down

Dinosaurs in the Bible? Empty Dinosaurs in the Bible?

Post  lisa1880 Mon 10 Dec 2007, 2:21 pm

What do you all think of Dinosaur - are they mentioned in the Bible - If so where?

God bless
lisa1880
lisa1880
Christian Talk Member

Mood : I feel Blessed
Female

Number of posts : 122
Registration date : 2007-07-16

Warning : Dinosaurs in the Bible? 110

Back to top Go down

Dinosaurs in the Bible? Empty Re: Dinosaurs in the Bible?

Post  saved Mon 10 Dec 2007, 2:22 pm

I am not a scholar, but I know that I don't have to know all the answers and I do believe God will give me the answers I need. the bible does mention a dinosaur in job 40:15 -19 and I do believe the flood could have been the end of most of the dinosaurs.

God bless
saved
saved
Christian Talk Member

Male

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2007-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post  4given Mon 10 Dec 2007, 2:24 pm

Sure, they fit in between Genesis 1:1 and Genesis 1:2. God does not make anything less than perfect. Ergo, the phrase, "without form and void" (correctly translated 'became chaotic and confused") cannot mean that is the way God created it but, rather, became that way after the fact.

God bless
4given
4given
Christian Talk Member

Female

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2007-07-15

Back to top Go down

Post  AngelicSmile Mon 10 Dec 2007, 2:26 pm

Actually in Job 40-41 the "dinosaur" is actually a dragon. Check it yourself if you don't believe me. Just check Job 41:18-21. Sounds like a dragon to me. But I do agree with you on the flood being able to wipe them out. I totally disbelieve the theory of evolution based on one main argument- that if we came from monkeys then the story of Adam and Eve and the fall of man would have been false and therefore (seeing how we all sin) it proves to be false.
In Christ,
AngelicSmile
AngelicSmile
Christian Talk Member

Female

Number of posts : 80

Back to top Go down

Post  FaithfulSon Mon 10 Dec 2007, 2:28 pm

EBD
Behemoth - (Job 40:15-24). Some have supposed this to be an Egyptian word meaning a "water-ox." The Revised Version has here in the margin "hippopotamus," which is probably the correct rendering of the word. The word occurs frequently in Scripture, but, except here, always as a common name, and translated "beast" or "cattle."

HBN
Behemoth, beasts

KJVD
BEHEMOTH
BE'HEMOTH, n.Heb. a beast or brute; from an Arabic vert, which signifies, to shut, to lie hid, to be dumb. In Eth.dumb.
Authors are divided in opinion as to the animal intended in scripture by this anme; some supposing it to be an ox, others, an elephant; and Bochart labors to prove it the hippopotamus, or river horse. The latter opinion is most probably. See Hippopotamus. The original word in Arabic signifies a brute of beast in general, especially a quadruped.

SBD
Behemoth - (great beasts). There can be little or no doubt that by this word, Job 40:15-24 the hippopotamus is intended since all the details descriptive of the behemoth accord entirely with the ascertained habits of that animal. The hippopotamus is an immense creature having a thick and square head, a large mouth often two feet broad, small eyes and ears, thick and heavy body, short legs terminated by four toes, a short tail, skin without hair except at the extremity of the tail. It inhabits nearly the whole of Africa, and has been found of the length of 17 feet. It delights in the water, but feeds on herbage on land. It is not found in Palestine, but may at one time have been a native of western Asia.

NTB
BEHEMOTH

-An amphibious animal
Job 40:15

EBD
Leviathan - a transliterated Hebrew word (livyathan), meaning "twisted," "coiled." In Job 3:8, Revised Version, and marg. of Authorized Version, it denotes the dragon which, according to Eastern tradition, is an enemy of light; in Job 41:1 the crocodile is meant; in Ps. 104:26 it "denotes any large animal that moves by writhing or wriggling the body, the whale, the monsters of the deep." This word is also used figuratively for a cruel enemy, as some think "the Egyptian host, crushed by the divine power, and cast on the shores of the Red Sea" (Ps. 74:14). As used in Is. 27:1, "leviathan the piercing [R.V. 'swift'] serpent, even leviathan that crooked [R.V. marg. 'winding'] serpent," the word may probably denote the two empires, the Assyrian and the Babylonian.

KJVD
LEVIATHAN
LEVI'ATHAN, n. Heb.
1. An aquatic animal, described in Job 41, and mentioned in other passages of Scripture. In Isaiah, it is called the crooked serpent. It is not agreed what animal is intended by the writers, whether the crocodile, the whale, or a species of serpent.
2. The whale, or a great whale.

SBD
Leviathan - (jointed monster) occurs five times in the text of the Authorized Version, and once in the margin of Job 3:8 where the text has "mourning." In the Hebrew Bible the word livyathan, which is, with the foregoing exception, always left untranslated in the Authorized Version, is found only in the following passages: Job 3:8; 41:1; Ps. 74:14; 104:26; Is. 27:1 In the margin of Job 3:8 and text of Job 41:1 the crocodile is most clearly the animal denoted by the Hebrew word. Ps. 74:14 also clearly points to this same saurian. The context of Ps. 104:26 seems to show that in this passage the name represents some animal of the whale tribe, which is common in the Mediterranean; but it is somewhat uncertain what animal is denoted in Is. 27:1 As the term leviathan is evidently used in no limited sense, it is not improbable that the "leviathan the piercing serpent," or "leviathan the crooked serpent," may denote some species of the great rock-snakes which are common in south and west Africa.

TCR
LEVIATHAN
Job 41:1; Ps. 104:26; Is. 27:1

NTB
LEVIATHAN

-Possibly a crocodile
Job 41; Ps. 104:26

-"The crooked (R. V.) serpent."
Is. 27:1

-FIGURATIVE
Ps. 74:14

TTT
Leviathan

- Created by God
Ps. 104:26

- Nature and habits of
Job 41:1-34

- God's power, exhibited in destroying
Ps. 74:14

- ILLUSTRATIVE OF

. Powerful and cruel kings
Is. 27:1

. Power and severity of God
Job 41:10
FaithfulSon
FaithfulSon
Christian Talk Member

Male

Number of posts : 128

Back to top Go down

Post  lovingdove Mon 10 Dec 2007, 2:29 pm

God didn't want them (so he didn't command Noah to take them into the the ark...thats y theres not alive now...)
lovingdove
lovingdove
Christian Talk Member

Female

Number of posts : 78
Marital Status : Still Looking

Back to top Go down

Post  ChristianLady Mon 10 Dec 2007, 2:47 pm

Interesting discussion, I don't know where dinosaurs are mentioned in the Bible, but they surely did exist sometime back.
ChristianLady
ChristianLady
Christian Talk Member

Female

Number of posts : 238

Back to top Go down

Post  Waqar Daniel Mon 10 Dec 2007, 5:54 pm

You have started an interesting discussion but I am sorry that I do not agree with the theory of Dinosaurs. They never existed and the whole thing is a hoax.

I fail to understand one thing, why do we have to prove Bible to the world with its standards. Dinosaurs are all assumptions and make believe. No scientist can prove that dinosaur ever existed. You take a horse's head and put it to a giraffe or Camel's skeleton - Look I have my dinosaur.

The reference of the Bible that people mostly talk of is from Job 40 and 41. The beast is called behemoth and most of the scholars believe it is either an elephant or hippopotamus. Mostly what we see in Jurassic Park I, II, III, IV, V are mere fanatsies and mostly they are shown as flesh eating predators.

The Bible talks of an animal that is huge but eats grass and is not interested in flesh of other animals.

The hills bring him their produce,
and all the wild animals play nearby (Job 40:20)

Now let us see where did this animal live?

Under the lotus plants he lies,
hidden among the reeds in the marsh.
The lotuses conceal him in their
shadow;
the poplars by the stream surround him.
When the river rages, he is not alarmed;
he is secue though the Jordan
should surge against his
mouth. (Job 40:21-24)

This passage clearly shows that this animal lives like a hippopotamus and lives in the river and nearby the river and all other wild animals that come to river to have a drink of water are not threatened by it. It is simply a water animal. I wonder all the scientists find fossils in USA and Europe but none is found in Asia or Africa or other parts of the world? If Dinosaur existed in the Bible, God was not talking of USA or Europe but He talked of this animal living in river Jordan. No one has ever found a fossil of any Dinosaur in Asia.

The reason is simple, in Asia or Africa more research is done on conservation with little resources. These scientists never have resources to make up wild stories just out of nothing.

Scientists just keep up bringing their imaginations just to discredit Bible and God. They date Dinosaurs back to million years and all that God had created, biologically cannot live for million years.

God bless you all
Waqar Daniel
Waqar Daniel
Administrator

Male

Number of posts : 2778
Profession : Consultant
Hobbies : Long drives, Gospel music, Bible study
Marital Status : Married
Registration date : 2007-06-25

https://christian-talk.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dove Tue 11 Dec 2007, 7:00 am

I think, Christians who try to compromise with evolutionists have claimed that the verses describing Behemoth are describing a crocodile, hippopotamus or elephant. But those creatures don't have tails the size of a cedar tree. The only creatures known to us today that had tails as big as a cedar tree were the largest of the known dinosaurs.

He moveth his tail like a cedar...(Job 40:17)
dove
dove
Christian Talk Member

Female

Number of posts : 246
Marital Status : Still Looking
Registration date : 2007-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post  thirsty Tue 11 Dec 2007, 8:01 am

The bombardier beetle (Stenaptinus insignis) provides evidence of a living thing producing hot gas from its body. These beetles live in South America and Africa and use a process of enzyme catalysed decomposition of hydrogen peroxide to defend against predators. Although these beetles do not breath fire, they do spray their attackers with hot 100 C steam that is also corrosive.

There are some claims that a few species of dinosaurs had similar chambers in their heads.
Of course dinosaurs had chambers in their heads. Heads consisting nothing but bone are not of much use.

Leviathan has the following attributes according to Job chapter 41, Psalm 104:25,26 and Isaiah 27:1. This is only a partial listing—just enough to make the point.

• “No one is so fierce that he would dare stir him up.”
  • “Who can open the doors of his face, with his terrible teeth all around?”
  • “His rows of scales are his pride, shut up tightly as with a seal; one is so near another that no air can come between them; they are joined one to another, they stick together and cannot be parted.”
  • “His sneezings flash forth light, and his eyes are like the eyelids of the morning. Out of his mouth go burning lights; sparks of fire shoot out. Smoke goes out of his nostrils, as from a boiling pot and burning rushes. His breath kindles coals, and a flame goes out of his mouth.”
  • “Though the sword reaches him, it cannot avail; nor does spear, dart, or javelin. He regards iron as straw, and bronze as rotten wood. The arrow cannot make him flee; slingstones become like stubble to him. Darts are regarded as straw; he laughs at the threat of javelins.”
  • “On earth there is nothing like him, which is made without fear.”
  • Leviathan “played” in the “great and wide sea” (a paraphrase of Psalm 104 verses 25 and 26—get the exact sense by reading them yourself).
  • Leviathan is a “reptile that is in the sea.” (Isaiah 27:1)
I would agree with Dove that Dinosaurs did exist.
thirsty
thirsty
Christian Talk Member

Female

Number of posts : 212

Back to top Go down

Post  Waqar Daniel Tue 11 Dec 2007, 9:45 am

Well, as I said that we don't need to prove Bible to the standards of scientists. This concept of Behemoth as Hippopotamus, Elephant or crocodile is not of evolutionists but of creationists. Dinosaurs are imagination and no one can prove it.

Regarding your verse of the tail of Behemoth as compared to the cedar tree - well, you need to know the size of cedar tree frist. Crocodile has a huge tail and one can be killed by the swing of its tail. If we use literal translation, it becomes

Job 40:17
he hangs his tail like a cedar (LITV)

He doth bend his tail as a cedar (YLT)

Now let me put your Dinosaur in the picture.

Dinosaurs in the Bible? Dinosa10

Look at its small tail and this kind of Dinosaur never fits any description of Job 40 and 41. You can put up other pictures of Dinosaur and they also do not fit in the Bible. One thing that is very important is that God talked of an animal (beast) which Job knew and God did not talk of any Bombardier Beetle as you mentioned in your reply.

God bless
Waqar Daniel
Waqar Daniel
Administrator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  WordofLife Tue 11 Dec 2007, 11:40 am

This is kinda cute pic of dino. I do not care whether dinos are mentioned in the Bible or not, what difference does it make? Nothing
WordofLife
WordofLife
Christian Talk Member

Male

Number of posts : 127

Back to top Go down

Post  AngelicSmile Tue 11 Dec 2007, 1:40 pm

Watch out the dino is coming. Shocked Laughing I would also agree that what difference does it make. Dinosaurs are no proof to prove Bible. The whole discussion was informative and interesting, I think we should more of these types of topics to share.

God bless
AngelicSmile
AngelicSmile
Christian Talk Member

Female

Number of posts : 80

Back to top Go down

Dinosaurs in the Bible? Empty Dinosaurs in the Bible?

Post  pepa39 Fri 14 Dec 2007, 2:48 pm

I believe that they existed before and after the flood. Why? Because they exist in the fossil records. If they existed before the flood they existed after the flood. Why? In Genesis 6:19 Noah is commanded to bring a pair of every living thing into the ark to preserve it.

For a very interesting article on the existance of dinosaurs read Ken Ham's article at answersingenesis.org Just click on the Get Answers link.

Blessings

Bob McDaniel
pepa39
pepa39
Christian Talk Member

Male

Number of posts : 1
Profession : Missionary
Registration date : 2007-08-15

Back to top Go down

Post  Waqar Daniel Sat 15 Dec 2007, 5:10 am

Dear Bob

Thank you for your reply. I don't disagree with you on the fossil thing. I can even make fossils of my own and today exactly what we will do. I am posting Grade 5 science activity and what you will get - A Fossil.

Steps

1. Prepare the Plaster of Paris or cement mixture and pour into the bowl.
  2. Place the object to be 'fossilised' in the mixture and press down until it is about half submerged. Stick a nail in the mixture if you want a hole to hang it from.
  3. Let the mixture dry.
  4. Remove the fossil. When it is dry, either gently take the fossil out of the bowl or break the bowl if needed. Pull out the nail (if you placed one in the plaster at step 2).
  5. Pry the object out of the bowl, and you have your fossil.
  6. Chip the round side of the fossil to make it look more authentic.

Fossils can be made up and you can eve date that fossil back to 5 million years old or more. Isn't this amazing. Even a grade 5 child can make a fossil or fossils and can easily date them back to millions of years old. This is how scientists have done with fossils of dinosaurs. Fossils of dinosaurs as claimed by scientists have been found in pieces, like a tooth, or a part of jaw, or a piece of leg and nothing more. Rest of the features were imagined by them. No one has ever found a complete structure of bones of a dinosaur.

As I have written before, take skull of a horse and put it to camel's structure and surely you will get a dinosaur and you can even name that kind. So I name it hoaxasaurus.

Dinosaurs were a mystery or normally found in fiction books and people used to laugh at these scientists before the movie Jurassic Park was made. Before the movie, it was a talk of atheists scientist who were keen on making the world believe that Bible is incorrect in dating the earth. So they used Dinosaurs and dated them back to 65 million years old. But after the movie Jurassic Park, research on Dinosaurs sped up and Dinosaurs came into life. Can a fossil live that long?

Anyways, it is upto people to believe it, but I believe in facts.

God bless you
Waqar Daniel
Waqar Daniel
Administrator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down