Christian Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Paul's Purpose, Passion and Prayers 2

Go down

Paul's Purpose, Passion and Prayers 2 Empty Paul's Purpose, Passion and Prayers 2

Post  fennywest Thu 10 Nov 2011, 2:10 pm

https://christian-talk.forumotion.com/t5363-pauls-purpose-passion-and-prayers-1#10629

Paul Prayers

Paul,without a doubt, was a mighty man of prayer.

Paul’s Prayer for Spiritual Growth
14 When I think of all this, I fall to my knees and pray to the Father,15 the Creator of everything in heaven and on earth. 16 I pray that from his glorious, unlimited resources he will empower you with inner strength through his Spirit. 17 Then Christ will make his home in your hearts as you trust in him. Your roots will grow down into God’s love and keep you strong. 18 And may you have the power to understand, as all God’s people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. 19 May you experience the love of Christ, though it is too great to understand fully. Then you will be made complete with all the fullness of life and power that comes from God.
20 Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think.
Philippians 1:9
New Living Translation (NLT)
9 I pray that your love will overflow more and more, and that you will keep on growing in knowledge and understanding.
Philippians 1:11
11 May you always be filled with the fruit of your salvation—the righteous character produced in your life by Jesus Christ—for this will bring much glory and praise to God.
Phil1:9,11

Colossians 1:9
New International Version (NIV)
9 For this reason, since the day we heard about you, we have not stopped praying for you. We continually ask God to fill you with the knowledge of his will through all the wisdom and understanding that the Spirit gives,

For this reason we also, since the day we heard it, do not cease to pray for you, and to ask that you may be filled with the knowledge of His will in all wisdom and spiritual understanding; Col.1:9NKJV

Colossians 1:11-12
11 being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might so that you may have great endurance and patience, 12 and giving joyful thanks to the Father, who has qualified you to share in the inheritance of his holy people in the kingdom of light.
2 Thessalonians 3:5
5 May the Lord direct your hearts into God’s love and Christ’s perseverance.
2 Thessalonians 3:16
Final Greetings
16 Now may the Lord of peace himself give you peace at all times and in every way. The Lord be with all of you.

1 Timothy 1:17
17 Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen.

Lessons from Paul's Prayers

Paul prayed for the following:
that
1. God will give them the spirit of wisdom, insight and revelation in the knowledge of Him
2. their hearts will be flooded with light so that they can understand the confident hope He has given to those He has called;
3. they will understand the incredible greatness of God’s power for those who believe.
4. from glorious unlimited resources, He will empower them with inner strength through His Spirit;
that
5. He will make His home in them
6. their roots will grow down into God’s love and keep them strong
7. they will have the power to understand the height, depth, length and breath of the love of God which surpasses knowledge
8. they will be filled will the fullness of God
that
9. they will be at ‘Peace at all times and in every way.’
10. their hearts be directed into God’s love
11. they be strengthen with all power according to God’s glorious might
12. they may have great endurance and patience
that
13. they will be giving joyful thanks in the name of the Father
14. they may be filled with the knowledge of His will and spiritual understanding
15. they may be filled with the fruit of their salvation
16. That the right character may be evidenced in them as to bring glory and praise to God
17. they will keep on growing in the knowledge and understanding of the Lord.

So if you are not sure of what to pray for or how to pray, think of the summary of Pauls prayers. Pray them in faith, because they are according to the will of God.
How Do We Pray?

Renew your mind with the word of God for prayer
Romans 12:1-2
A Living Sacrifice
1 Therefore, I urge you, brothers and sisters, in view of God’s mercy, to offer your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your true and proper worship. 2 Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is—his good, pleasing and perfect will.

John 15:7-8
New King James Version (NKJV)
7 If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. 8 By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples.

Colossians 3:16
16 Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom, teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
Psalm 1:1-3
Psalm 1
The Way of the Righteous and the End of the Ungodly
1 Blessed is the man
Who walks not in the counsel of the ungodly,
Nor stands in the path of sinners,
Nor sits in the seat of the scornful;
2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
And in His law he meditates day and night.
3 He shall be like a tree
Planted by the rivers of water,
That brings forth its fruit in its season,
Whose leaf also shall not wither;
And whatever he does shall prosper.

Delight in His Word

Job 23:12
Neither have I gone back from the commandment of his lips; I have esteemed the words of his mouth more than my necessary food.
77 Let Your tender mercies come to me, that I may live;
For Your law is my delight.Ps119:77
70 Their heart is as fat as grease,
But I delight in Your law.
77 Let Your tender mercies come to me, that I may live;
For Your law is my delight.
97 Oh, how I love Your law!
It is my meditation all the day.
103 How sweet are Your words to my taste,
Sweeter than honey to my mouth!
105 Your word is a lamp to my feet
And a light to my path.
111 Your testimonies I have taken as a heritage forever,
For they are the rejoicing of my heart.
113 I hate the double-minded,
But I love Your law.
127 Therefore I love Your commandments
More than gold, yes, than fine gold!

Let your prayers be fuelled by the Word

The Word of God is active, dynamic, living, spirit and life.
Hebrews 4:12
12 For the word of God is alive and powerful. It is sharper than the sharpest two-edged sword, cutting between soul and spirit, between joint and marrow. It exposes our innermost thoughts and desires.

Joshua 1:8
8 Study this Book of Instruction continually. Meditate on it day and night so you will be sure to obey everything written in it. Only then will you prosper and succeed in all you do.

Hebrews 1:3
3 who being the brightness of His glory and the express image of His person, and upholding all things by the word of His power, when He had by Himself purged our sins, sat down at the right hand of the Majesty on high,

Know that God is mindful of His Word

Jeremiah 1:12
King James Version (KJV)
12Then said the LORD unto me, Thou hast well seen: for I will hasten my word to perform it.
Isaiah 55:10-11
10 “ For as the rain comes down, and the snow from heaven,
And do not return there,
But water the earth,
And make it bring forth and bud,
That it may give seed to the sower
And bread to the eater,
11 So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth;
It shall not return to Me void,
But it shall accomplish what I please,
And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.
Hebrews 6:18
18 So God has given both his promise and his oath. These two things are unchangeable because it is impossible for God to lie. Therefore, we who have fled to him for refuge can have great confidence as we hold to the hope that lies before us.

Numbers 23:19

19 God is not a man, so he does not lie.
He is not human, so he does not change his mind.
Has he ever spoken and failed to act?
Has he ever promised and not carried it through?
Psalm 138:2
2 I will worship toward Your holy temple,
And praise Your name
For Your lovingkindness and Your truth;
For You have magnified Your word above all Your name.

Ask According to God’s Will. Pray the Word.

We can learn to pray, improve our prayers prowess by meditating on Paul’s prayers. Often we wan to pray but we don’t know how to do it effectively. Paul knew how to pray according to God’s will. Praying God’s word is praying God’s will and as you do you will have the confidence that the answer is on the way.
1 John 5:14-15
14 This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us. 15 And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him.

Believe when you ask

6 But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. 7 That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. 8 Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.

Ask with the right Motive

3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures. James 4:3 NKJV

God wants you to state your case before Him.

You can only do this when you know His word. ‘Lord you said….’, I have done my part. Do your part Lord.’
26 Review the past for me,
let us argue the matter together;
state the case for your innocence.
Psalm 2:8

8 Ask me,
and I will make the nations your inheritance,
the ends of the earth your possession.
Matthew 7:7
Ask, Seek, Knock
7 “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

See How the Psalmist is pleading his case
My soul clings to the dust;
Revive me according to Your word.
Ps119::25
38 Establish Your word to Your servant,
Who is devoted to fearing You.
41 Let Your mercies come also to me, O LORD—
Your salvation according to Your word.
49 Remember the word to Your servant,
Upon which You have caused me to hope.
58 I entreated Your favor with my whole heart;
Be merciful to me according to Your word.
81 My soul faints for Your salvation,
But I hope in Your word.
85 The proud have dug pits for me,
Which is not according to Your law.
86 All Your commandments are faithful;
They persecute me wrongfully;
Help me!
88 Revive me according to Your lovingkindness,
So that I may keep the testimony of Your mouth.
89 Forever, O LORD,
Your word is settled in heaven.
90 Your faithfulness endures to all generations;
You established the earth, and it abides.
91 They continue this day according to Your ordinances,
For all are Your servants.
96 I have seen the consummation of all perfection,
But Your commandment is exceedingly broad.
107 I am afflicted very much;
Revive me, O LORD, according to Your word.
114 You are my hiding place and my shield;
I hope in Your word.
116 Uphold me according to Your word, that I may live;
And do not let me be ashamed of my hope.
126 It is time for You to act, O LORD,
For they have regarded Your law as void.

Seek first God’s Kingdom when you pray

33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Matt6:33
Pray the prayer of faith
Hebrews 11:6
6 But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

James 5:14-16
14 Is anyone among you sick? Let him call for the elders of the church, and let them pray over him, anointing him with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 And the prayer of faith will save the sick, and the Lord will raise him up. And if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven. 16 Confess your trespasses[a] to one another, and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much.
How Does Faith Come?
Romans 10:17
17 So then faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
2 Corinthians 5:7
7 For we walk by faith, not by sight.

Pray with thanksgiving

Philippians 4:6-7
6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.Phil4:6-7

Pray in the Spirit.

Likewise the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.Rom8:26
1 Corinthians 14:13-15
13 Therefore let him who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret. 14 For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my understanding is unfruitful. 15 What is the conclusion then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will also pray with the understanding. I will sing with the spirit, and I will also sing with the understanding.
praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, being watchful to this end with all perseverance and supplication for all the saintsEph6:18
1 Corinthians 14:2
2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.
Why do we pray in the Spirit?
Romans 8:27
You will be praying according God’s perfect will build up yourself and speaking mysteries and praising God.
27 Now He who searches the hearts knows what the mind of the Spirit is, because He makes intercession for the saints according to the will of God.
But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit, Jude1:20
1 Corinthians 14:2
2 For he who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God, for no one understands him; however, in the spirit he speaks mysteries.
Learn from the model Prayer

The Model Prayer

5 “And when you pray, you shall not be like the hypocrites. For they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the corners of the streets, that they may be seen by men. Assuredly, I say to you, they have their reward. 6 But you, when you pray, go into your room, and when you have shut your door, pray to your Father who is in the secret place; and your Father who sees in secret will reward you openly.[b] 7 And when you pray, do not use vain repetitions as the heathen do. For they think that they will be heard for their many words.
8 “Therefore do not be like them. For your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him. 9 In this manner, therefore, pray:

Our Father in heaven,
Hallowed be Your name.
10 Your kingdom come.
Your will be done
On earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us this day our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts,
As we forgive our debtors.
13 And do not lead us into temptation,
But deliver us from the evil one.
For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.[c]

14 “For if you forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Paul’s Prayer request

Paul was not ashamed to ask for prayer
Colossians 4:4
4 Pray that I may proclaim it clearly, as I should.

2 Thessalonians 3:1-2
Request for Prayer
1 As for other matters, brothers and sisters, pray for us that the message of the Lord may spread rapidly and be honored, just as it was with you. 2 And pray that we may be delivered from wicked and evil people, for not everyone has faith.

Jesus Prays for His Disciples

6 “I have manifested Your name to the men whom You have given Me out of the world. They were Yours, You gave them to Me, and they have kept Your word. 7 Now they have known that all things which You have given Me are from You. 8 For I have given to them the words which You have given Me; and they have received them, and have known surely that I came forth from You; and they have believed that You sent Me.
9 “I pray for them. I do not pray for the world but for those whom You have given Me, for they are Yours. 10 And all Mine are Yours, and Yours are Mine, and I am glorified in them. 11 Now I am no longer in the world, but these are in the world, and I come to You. Holy Father, keep through Your name those whom You have given Me, that they may be one as We are. 12 While I was with them in the world, I kept them in Your name. Those whom You gave Me I have kept; and none of them is lost except the son of perdition, that the Scripture might be fulfilled. 13 But now I come to You, and these things I speak in the world, that they may have My joy fulfilled in themselves. 14 I have given them Your word; and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. 15 I do not pray that You should take them out of the world, but that You should keep them from the evil one. 16 They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. 17 Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth. 18 As You sent Me into the world, I also have sent them into the world. 19 And for their sakes I sanctify Myself, that they also may be sanctified by the truth.
Jesus Prays for All Believers

20 “I do not pray for these alone, but also for those who will believe in Me through their word; 21 that they all may be one, as You, Father, are in Me, and I in You; that they also may be one in Us, that the world may believe that You sent Me. 22 And the glory which You gave Me I have given them, that they may be one just as We are one: 23 I in them, and You in Me; that they may be made perfect in one, and that the world may know that You have sent Me, and have loved them as You have loved Me.
24 “Father, I desire that they also whom You gave Me may be with Me where I am, that they may behold My glory which You have given Me; for You loved Me before the foundation of the world. 25 O righteous Father! The world has not known You, but I have known You; and these have known that You sent Me. 26 And I have declared to them Your name, and will declare it, that the love with which You loved Me may be in them, and I in them.”

We need each other. Paul was a mighty man of prayer yet he asked other Christians to pray for him. We too need to know that God has joined us together as a unit and what happens to one part of the body affects the others .so we nee to uphold each other in prayer and know that as we pray for others, we are praying for ourselves.
Jesus also gave us an example of intercession in John17 where He prayed for His disciples and those who are afar off.
fennywest
fennywest
Christian Talk Moderators

Mood : Amused
Male

Number of posts : 1725
Marital Status : Single
Registration date : 2009-10-19

Warning : Paul's Purpose, Passion and Prayers 2 110

http://www.inspiration4generations.com

Back to top Go down