Christian Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What is the kingdom of God?

4 posters

Go down

What is the kingdom of God? Empty What is the kingdom of God?

Post  Irv Everett Fri 04 Apr 2008, 2:28 pm

Currently, I am involved in a study group and we bring in topics for discussion. This was one of the questions brought up this week. Since none of the study group is members of the same church and all different denominations, we have had a hard time with the correct answer.

Mark 1:14-15

Now after that John was put in prison, Jesus came into Galilee preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God;

And saying, the time is fulfilled and the kingdom of God is at hand; repent and believe the gospel.

John 3:3

Verily, verily I say unto thee except a man be born again he can not see the kingdom of God.

Luke 18:17

Verily I say unto you, whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child shall in no wise enter in.

Is it possible that the answer to “What is the kingdom of God” is Salvation?

Luke 17:20-21

And when he was demanded of the Pharisees when the kingdom of God should come, he answered them and said; the kingdom of God cometh not with observation:

Neither shall they say, lo here! Or lo there for behold the kingdom of God is within you.

John 18:36

Jesus answered, my kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

Romans 14:17

For the kingdom of God is not meat or drink; but righteousness, and peace and joy in the Holy Ghost.

2 Peter 1:11

For so an entrance shall be ministered unto you abundantly into the everlasting kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ

2 Timothy 4:18

And the Lord shall deliver me from every evil work, and will preserve me unto his heavenly kingdom: to whom, be glory for ever and ever. Amen

In Luke 9:1, Jesus called his twelve disciples together and gives them the power and authority over all devils and to cure diseases. Then in Luke 9:2, he sent them to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick. So what did they preach? They could not preach the death, burial and resurrection of Christ. So what then? At this time the people were looking for a king. Someone that would release them from bondage, oppression, an intervention, and restoration, they were looking for something physical; what they got was spiritual.

Jesus came preaching the gospel of the kingdom of God; First the repentance of sin; secondly the fulfillment of the scriptures and finally the resurrection.

I think the answer to “What is the kingdom of God” is salvation!

What do you think?
Irv Everett
Irv Everett
VIP

Mood : I feel Blessed
Male

Number of posts : 305
Profession : I'm a child of the KING
Hobbies : Loving my wife, son and grandbabies; Praising the Lord for HIS mercy and grace!
Marital Status : Married
Registration date : 2007-12-31

Warning : What is the kingdom of God? 110

Back to top Go down

What is the kingdom of God? Empty Re: What is the Kingdom of God?

Post  Terry L Brown Wed 09 Apr 2008, 8:24 pm

Irv,

When I first read your posting a few days ago, I wanted to reply but was unable to because of time constraints. I didn't want my reply to be a quick or unthoughtful one. The subject of the Kingdom of God is one I have studied to a limited point for some time.

I believe to understand what the Kingdom of God (or Heaven) is it is necessary to understand what a kingdom is in general. A kingdom presupposes a king or sovereign ruler. The kingdom extends to the point of the king's ability to impose his will upon others. The imposition of his will may be done through benevolence if the subjects are willing to acknowledge the king's rulership or through force, most often militarily, if the subjects are unwilling to acknowledge the king's rulership. In either case, speaking on a strictly earthly level, a kingdom extents to the point that a sovereign can control the bodies of people. (Thus, Jesus said, "Do not fear those who kill the body but are unable to kill the soul" (Matthew 10:28 NASU).

If this definition is carried over into the spiritual realm the Kingdom of God would consist of spiritual (angels for instance) and human beings that acknowledge the Father's rulership and sovereignity. So, your thought that salvation is the kingdom of God has merit, but is not entirely correct. The angels have not experienced salvation in the sense fallen man has, but they are still part of the Kingdom of God. One important distinction that needs to be pointed out, however, is whereas an earthly king may impose his rulership upon unwilling subjects, the Father never does that.

Jesus also made clear that "My kingdom is not of this world" (John 18:36). The word "world" here is the Greek kosmos. It speaks of the current orderly arrangement of the physical universe. In other words the Kingdom of God transcends the physical creation which earthly rulers are limited to (the physical bodies or their subjects). Earthly kings extend their kingdoms by the physical (bodily) subjection of people. The Father's (and thus, Jesus') kingdom is expanded one soul at a time.

Before Adam and Eve disobeyed the Lord they lived in the Kingdom of God; not because they lived in the Garden of Eden, but because their souls (will, emotions, intellect, the faculty that makes us self-conscious) were submitted to their spirits (conscious, intuition, center of communion with the Father, the faculty that makes us God-conscious) as their spirits were guided, directed, and anointed by the Holy Spirit. The result was the body carrying out physically what the Father willed.

But when Adam and Eve ate of the forbidden fruit, their spirits died ("for in the day you eat from it you will surely die" (Genesis 2:17)). God's will was usurped and replaced by Adam and Eve's will. That is, their souls had taken over the headship their being. (The radical feminist movement is a physical picture of this spiritual truth). They had freely choosen to enter the kingdom of evil and exit the Kingdom of God.

The Father's remedy for this is first revealed in Genesis 3:15 when He curses the serpent. "And I will put emnity between you and the woman, and between your seed and her seed; He shall bruise you on the head, and you shall bruise Him on the heel." The "bruising" of the heel speaks of the crucifixion of Jesus. He died, but rose again having overcome death forever. The "bruising" of head was the fatal blow Jesus gave to Satan and by extension death and his kingdom.

Speaking of the heavenly Father, Paul says, "For He rescued us from the domain of darkness, and transferred us to the kingdom of His beloved, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins." We are rescued when we are born again. (See John 3:1-8. Therefore, when one is born again (that happens when our dead spirit is made alive by our acceptance of Jesus as Lord and Savior and it assumes the position of headship within our being and our soul freely submits to the authority of our spirit as it is guided, directed, and anointed by the Holy Spirit) he enters into the Kingdom of God.

Therefore, the Kingdom of God is the realm where the heavenly Father's sovereinty and rulership are freely embraced by the living out of His will through the subjection of our will. Again, His Kingdom expands one heart at a time as the rebellion that began at the Fall is reversed by His grace given to us through His Son, Jesus Christ.

I recommend a book called, "The Kingdom of God" by John Bright for further details. I have also written an article called "The Earth Belongs to the Lord" that explains that even though Adam and Eve fell into sin, the earth still belonged then and now to the Lord. The article can be accessed at www.articles.faithwriters.com/reprint-article-details.php?article=1845.

Blessings in Christ,

Terry L. Brown
Terry L Brown
Christian Talk Moderators

Male

Number of posts : 18
Marital Status : Still Looking
Registration date : 2008-02-10

http://www.whispersofthespirit.com

Back to top Go down

What is the kingdom of God? Empty What is the kingdom of God?

Post  Irv Everett Wed 09 Apr 2008, 9:38 pm

Thank you, Terry for your response; over the past few days I have immersed myself into this topic. I Goggled, only to find 27,500,000 articles; and to be totally honest, by the number of articles that I have read; no one seems to totally agree on the subject. I have gotten everything from heaven, to eternal rest, to the promise land; I have read the English translation, Roman Catholic interpretations, from viewpoint of Islam to evangelic Christian scholars and from the Pre-millennia approaches to Wikipedia. I understand that the kingdom is so vast we could not contain it and so small that it resides within. I have searched and searched for the correct answer, but the only thing that anyone seemed to agree on is Jesus; and Jesus is my Lord and Savior, my Redeemer; my Salvation.

Thank you again Terry, I will go to the website and check out your article. Irv
Irv Everett
Irv Everett
VIP

Male

Hobbies : Loving my wife, son and grandbabies; Praising the Lord for HIS mercy and grace!

Back to top Go down

What is the kingdom of God? Empty Re: What is the kingdom of God?

Post  spiritfilled Thu 10 Apr 2008, 10:55 am

Thank you Irv for posting such a nice question. Although I have limited knowledge of the Bible and I think that "Kingdom of God" is getting saved and becoming one with God.

In Christ
spiritfilled
Christian Talk Member

Female

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2007-07-16

Back to top Go down

What is the kingdom of God? Empty Thanks

Post  Irv Everett Mon 14 Apr 2008, 12:58 pm

Thanks Spiritfilled for your comments, I was in hope that others would help me in this journey or quest; but I guess the true answer lies within. Thanks again have a blessed day. Irv
Irv Everett
Irv Everett
VIP

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Waqar Daniel Tue 15 Apr 2008, 2:56 am

Dear Irv

I am sorry that I was not able to reply to your post. It is really a great post but due to short of time, I could not. Now I am just writing as a quick reply but later on I will write in detail.

Kingdom of God is not Salvation. Salvation allows us to enter the Kingdom of God. Kingdom of God is where there will be no more deception and there will be no fall of man. Salvation is getting us prepared to be in the presence of God washed with the blood of Jesus.

God bless you and your family
Waqar Daniel
Waqar Daniel
Administrator

Male

Number of posts : 2778
Profession : Consultant
Hobbies : Long drives, Gospel music, Bible study
Registration date : 2007-06-25

https://christian-talk.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

What is the kingdom of God? Empty What is the Kingdom of God?

Post  Irv Everett Tue 15 Apr 2008, 9:13 pm

Daniel, thanks for your comments; I am looking forward to the additional information; but for now I am even more confused. You said “Kingdom of God is where there will be no more deception and there will be no fall of man”. I know in the future, when Christ returns there will be no more deception and there will be no fall of man. But what about now? If we are saved aren’t we in the Kingdom of God? Would salvation not be the key or main focus to the Kingdom of God? Isn’t salvation the reason Christ came; to pay the debt we could not pay? I thought when you repented and believed, you received the Kingdom of God as adopted sons and daughters. Are we not in the Kingdom of God a that point? Without salvation the Holy Spirit doesn’t reside within us. Don’t we first have to be quickened? Salvation may not be the correct answer but there is more there than a divine government that Jesus will establish when he returns to earth. Not mocking just tired from the journey. Maybe the Kingdom of God presently is His Kingdom of Grace for sinners such as us and after Christ returns it is His Kingdom of Glory in which all of us will glorify; but alas mear speculation for I have no clue. Awaiting your additional help, Irv
Irv Everett
Irv Everett
VIP

Male

Back to top Go down

Post  Waqar Daniel Wed 16 Apr 2008, 8:25 pm

Don't you realize that everyone who runs in a race runs to win, but only one runner gets the prize? Run like them, so that you can win. Everyone who enters an athletic contest goes into strict training. They do it to win a temporary crown, but we do it to win one that will be permanent. [/color]So I run-but not without a clear goal ahead of me. So I box-but not as if I were just shadow boxing. [/color]Rather, I toughen my body with punches and make it my slave so that I will not be disqualified after I have spread the Good News to others. (1 Cornithians 9:24-27)
Dear Irv
As I said that blood of Jesus washes away our sins and Heavenly Father no more remembers them. However, once saved, we have to love and obey Jesus Christ Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him and we will come to him and make our home with him" (John 14:23)

Dear Irv, as Paul says that we have to keep training like an athelete to win the crown. I agree that we are saved when we accept Jesus as our LORD and Savior and we get eligible for the Kingdom of God. When we will be raised up again in Jesus, we will be with Him in the Kingdom of God.

Sorry again that I am writing in a hurry, please forgive me. I will write in detail as soon as possible.
Waqar Daniel
Waqar Daniel
Administrator

Male

Number of posts : 2778
Profession : Consultant
Hobbies : Long drives, Gospel music, Bible study
Registration date : 2007-06-25

https://christian-talk.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down