Christian Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Washing Osama's Feet

+4
tom2
Waqar Daniel
dove
planet_shakers
8 posters

Go down

Washing Osama's Feet Empty Washing Osama's Feet

Post  planet_shakers Fri 16 May 2008, 3:19 pm

I found this interesting article on http://gregboyd.blogspot.com/2007/11/washing-osamas-feet.html and would like to know the comments of other members.

Washing Osama's Feet GregblogBrad Cole is a friend of mine who runs a ministry called Heavenly Sanctuary. This ministry puts on Conferences around the country on the Character of God -- and they get it right. This year they hired an artist named Lars Justinen from the Justinen Creative Group to paint the above picture to use on posters advertising their conference. Under this picture they had captions like "Follow the Leader," "God IS Great," and most accurately, "Jesus - Still Too Radical?"

Heavenly Sanctuary had contracts with several malls in the Seattle area to hang these posters advertising their conference, but no sooner had the posters gone up than angry calls began flooding the malls. Many people -- but, it seems, mostly Christians -- were offended at the image of Jesus washing Osama Bin Laden’s feet. There was such an outcry that each of the malls decided to go back on their contract and take the posters down. The Christian College that Heavenly Sanctuary was renting space from to host the Conference also canceled their contract. Brad had to scramble to find a secular venue (which, ironically, had no problems with the poster).

What does this say about how many American Christians envision Jesus? Obviously, the protesters believe that Jesus would not wash Osama Bin Laden’s feet. But Jesus died "not only for our sins, but for the sins of the whole world" (I Jn 2:2) -- and this obviously includes Osama. So if Jesus died for Osama, how are we to imagine him being unwilling to wash his feet?

What the protest reveals is that many Christians have tragically allowed their patriotism to co-opt their faith. They have allowed their American citizenship to take priority over their Kingdom citizenship -- despite the New Testament's instruction for disciples to consider themselves "foreigners" and "exiles" wherever they happen to live (Heb. 11:13; I Pet 1:17, 2:11) and to consider their real citizenship "in heaven" (Phil 3:20). Many American Christians seem to want a Jesus who will defend their country and hate their national enemies as much as they do. Many want the Jesus of the Middle Ages whom Crusaders called on to help them slaughter -- not serve -- their Islamic enemies. Many seem to want to reduce Jesus to just another version of the tribal gods that have been called on for centuries to bless tribal battles. Most wars throughout history have been fought under the banner of some god or another.

Fortunately, the real Jesus isn't anything like this. Knowing all power had been given to him, John says, he wrapped a towel around his waist and washed the dirty, smelly feet of people he knew would deny and betray him in a couple hours (Jn 13:3-5). Knowing he could call legions of angels to vanquish his foes, the real Jesus rather chose to let them crucify him, because this is what they needed him to do (though they of course didn't know it). Then, with his last breath, the real Jesus prays to his Father to forgive his barbaric torturers -- and all of us (Lk 23:34).

This
is the kind of power the omnipotent God of the universe uses against his enemies. And this is the kind of power we're to use against our "enemies." It's the power of Calvary-like love.

We're called to imitate the Jesus who washes the feet of enemies, dies for them, and prays for their forgiveness. We are to "live in love, as Christ loved us and gave his life for us..." (Eph. 5:1-2). When we were enemies, Jesus nevertheless ascribed unsurpassable worth to us by paying an unsurpassable price for us. We who claim we are his disciples are called to do the same. We're to sacrificially ascribe unsurpassable worth to all people, including our enemies -- even Osama Bin Laden.

In light of God's servant love toward us, we must be willing to wash Osama's feet -- and pray for his forgiveness.

Jesus says to us:

"Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone slaps you on one cheek, turn the other also. If someone takes your coat, do not withhold your shirt..." (Lk 6:27-29)

And in case we missed the point, he comes back five verses later and says:

"...love your enemies, do good to them, and lend to them without expecting to get anything back. (How important is this? Read this next sentence carefully). Then your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High, because he is kind to the ungrateful and wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful." (Lk 6: 27-29; 35-36).

When we act like our kind Father, we reflect the fact that we are his children.

In Christ, God's been kind to Osama. May we who are his children do the same. May we be encouraged by the above picture rather than offended by it. May we pray, "Father, forgive Osama. He doesn't know what he's doing."

Greg

P.S. In case some of the faces on the poster are unfamiliar to you, they are (left to right) German Chancellor Angela Merkel; Tony Blair, England; Kofi A. Annan, UN; Osama bin Laden; George Bush; Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh; and Jiang Zemin, former president of China.
planet_shakers
planet_shakers
Christian Talk Member

Mood : I feel Blessed
Male

Number of posts : 23
Marital Status : Still Looking
Registration date : 2007-07-09

Warning : Washing Osama's Feet 110

Back to top Go down

Washing Osama's Feet Empty Re: Washing Osama's Feet

Post  dove Fri 16 May 2008, 3:26 pm

You asked for comments, here they are:

• ridiculous
  • blasphemous
  • author misquoted the Bible

God bless
dove
dove
Christian Talk Member

Female

Number of posts : 246

Back to top Go down

Post  Waqar Daniel Sun 18 May 2008, 6:16 pm

Jesus never washed the feet of satan rather He scolded him and told satan to leave Him. I believe this whoe thing is blasphemy and Jesus washed the feet of those who loved and followed Him. Now the question is - all the leaders shown in the picture, do they love or follow Jesus? Osama is satan of the modern world and I would use Jesus' word, "Away from me satan".

God bless you all
Waqar Daniel
Waqar Daniel
Administrator

Male

Number of posts : 2778
Profession : Consultant
Hobbies : Long drives, Gospel music, Bible study
Marital Status : Married
Registration date : 2007-06-25

https://christian-talk.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  tom2 Mon 19 May 2008, 1:41 am

danie;,you do know that jesus once said to peter,get behind me satan?while I agree this picture does upset the flesh.the concept that jesus died for all SINNERS.which osama is,and the fact that jesus did say to love your enemies and pray for them means even osama can be saved.we as christian are not to judge.now iam not saying what he did was not wrong.iam saying God is his judge.personally I find the picture revolting,but I believe that is my flesh.and again I will say even osama can be saved.
tom2
Christian Talk Member

Male

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2008-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post  tom2 Mon 19 May 2008, 3:24 am

jesus came to save the world from sin.the action depicted in this picture has nothing to do with forgiving your enemies.this was a lesson on being a servant to all ,even if you are the leader of all.jesus was telling his apostles he who is first must be a servant to all,and be last.jesus did tell us to love everyone,even our enemies.now that being said,we all know in the flesh thats impossible,but with God nothing is impossible.that would be my answer.and yes my flesh still doesn,t like this picture.
tom2
Christian Talk Member

Male

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2008-02-24

Back to top Go down

Post  rcalo Mon 19 May 2008, 3:41 pm

tom2 wrote:jesus came to save the world from sin.the action depicted in this picture has nothing to do with forgiving your enemies.this was a lesson on being a servant to all ,even if you are the leader of all.jesus was telling his apostles he who is first must be a servant to all,and be last.jesus did tell us to love everyone,even our enemies.now that being said,we all know in the flesh thats impossible,but with God nothing is impossible.that would be my answer.and yes my flesh still doesn,t like this picture.

I completely agree with you.
rcalo
rcalo
Christian Talk Member

Female

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-05-07

Back to top Go down

Washing Osama's Feet Empty Washing Osama's Feet

Post  Irv Everett Tue 20 May 2008, 4:07 pm

The picture does strike our nerves to the core; much like the news that Jeffery Dahmer (serial killer and cannibal) accepted Christ before he was murdered in prison in 1994. And through his acceptance of Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior, we will see him in Heaven as an adopted son of God. The same would apply for Osama.

And according to the Scriptures, we should not judge; but take a good look at the picture. Jesus is not washing Osama’s feet. Jesus is washing the feet of the Kofi A. Annan of the United Nations; it would be nice if this was a depiction of our servant ship to all nations united in Christ.

But, Osama is looking on, his arms are crossed, and he looks like he detests this act of kindness and Christ’s outward portrayal of servant hood.

George W. Bush is sitting there; with his approval rating, do you believe a Democrat or anyone else would wash his feet, this is an election year. How about Tony Blair, his countrymen were angry with him because of his backing the United States in the Iraq war. We can find faults in everyone in the picture for one reason or another and some would find good in them too.

This picture is no more than a shock tactic. It is designed to do a variety of things to us and in us; good and or bad.

But we as Christians should only concern ourselves with what Christ commissioned us to do; Matthew 28:19-20

Go ye therefore and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Ghost: Teaching them to observe all thing whatsoever I have commanded you; and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

Is it possible that the artist wants us to get up off our blessed assurance and do something; anything in the service of God?

Have any of us tried to share the gospel of the Kingdom of God with the artist or do we just have contempt for him?

The Lord is coming back soon; have we done all that He commanded? I haven’t! Irv
Irv Everett
Irv Everett
VIP

Male

Number of posts : 305
Profession : I'm a child of the KING
Hobbies : Loving my wife, son and grandbabies; Praising the Lord for HIS mercy and grace!
Registration date : 2007-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post  Littlelamb Tue 20 May 2008, 10:09 pm

The feet being washed is that of Kofi A. Annan of the United Nations. The picture is misleading. JESUS bows to no world leaders or terrorist, but they one day, will bow to HIM. Some of the world leaders and terrorists portrayed, could use more than an foot bath. They all need their very souls cleansed...The idea behind this may have been a good one, but the method of introducing it, is lacking. For me, it is a poor attempt to promote the BIBLE. It would have been better advertisement to say, "pray for them, for they know not what they do".
Littlelamb
Littlelamb
Christian Talk Moderators

Female

Number of posts : 227
Profession : Admin of 2 forums, Children's Church Ministry
Hobbies : The BIBLE and the STUDY which I apply to life.
Registration date : 2008-03-21

http://www.lordismyshepherd.forumsmotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  angel555 Wed 21 May 2008, 5:58 pm

I Agree

Littlelamb thank you for your stand and I agree with you whether they may quote "Love your enemy and pray for those who persecute you". This is irrelevant and totally blasphemous preaching. It is only an assumption and nothing more than that.
angel555
angel555
Christian Talk Member

Female

Number of posts : 19
Marital Status : Divorcee

Back to top Go down

Post  dove Wed 21 May 2008, 6:02 pm

Interesting and quite an intriguing article, don't you think that Jesus set an example for all of us to follow? I would go with Tom2 and I believe that Jesus can forgive anyone.

God bless
dove
dove
Christian Talk Member

Female

Number of posts : 246

Back to top Go down

Post  Waqar Daniel Wed 11 Jun 2008, 8:42 am

He that believeth on the Son hath eternal life; but he that obeyeth not the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abideth on him (John 3:36)
I think that my eyes are not blind and I see God's wrath on Osama, this verse is enough to answer all the remarks.

God bless you all
Waqar Daniel
Waqar Daniel
Administrator

Male

Number of posts : 2778
Profession : Consultant
Hobbies : Long drives, Gospel music, Bible study
Registration date : 2007-06-25