Christian Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rehoboam: King of Judah

Go down

Rehoboam: King of Judah Empty Rehoboam: King of Judah

Post  Waqar Daniel Thu 19 Jul 2007, 8:08 pm

Meaning of name:

"The people (family) is extended."

Biblical Reference

I Kings 11:42 - 14:31
II Chronicles 10-13

Reign

17 years (930 - 913 B.C.)

History

Perhaps no other king in history had inherited as much as Rehoboam. His father Solomon had spent his 40-year reign over the entire nation of Israel by building extensively. Under Solomon's supervision, the magnificent Temple of the Lord was constructed, as well as the king's palace and numerous store cities and fortifications. Previous to Solomon's reign, Rehoboam's grandfather, King David, had established Israel as a military power among the world's nations, establishing peace on every side for his descendents to inherit.

Rehoboam, at 41, was no child when he became king. Upon his ascension to the throne, the people, lead by a servant of Solomon, named Jeroboam, made only one request of the new monarch. "Thy father made our yoke grievous: now therefore ease thou somewhat the grievous servitude of thy father, and his heavy yoke that he put upon us, and we will serve thee" (II Chronicles 10:4).

Given the opportunity to win the people to himself, Rehoboam sought the advice of his father's counselors who urged him to grant the people's wishes. However, whether because of trappings of power or the need to emerge from behind his ancestor's long shadows, Rehoboam rejected the sages' advice and sought counsel from the friends with whom he had grown up. The new king got the answer he was looking for "Thus shalt thou answer the people that spake unto thee ... For whereas my father put a heavy yoke upon you, I will put more to your yoke: my father chastised you with whips, but I will chastise you with scorpions" (II Chronicles 10:10-11).

That was all Jeroboam and the Israelites needed to hear. Ten of the twelve tribes of Israel (Judah and Benjamin excluded) rebelled against the king of Judah and formed their own kingdom (with Jeroboam as their ruler) and remained in rebellion until Samaria was taken into captivity by Assyria.
Waqar Daniel
Waqar Daniel
Administrator

Mood : I feel Blessed
Male

Number of posts : 2778
Profession : Consultant
Hobbies : Long drives, Gospel music, Bible study
Marital Status : Married
Registration date : 2007-06-25

Warning : Rehoboam: King of Judah 110

https://christian-talk.forumotion.com