Christian Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vatican forgives John Lennon for Jesus remark

5 posters

Go down

Vatican forgives John Lennon for Jesus remark Empty Vatican forgives John Lennon for Jesus remark

Post  Waqar Daniel Sun 23 Nov 2008, 9:12 am

Vatican forgives John Lennon for Jesus remark 10911910

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) – The Vatican's newspaper has finally forgiven John Lennon for declaring that the Beatles were more famous than Jesus Christ, calling the remark a "boast" by a young man grappling with sudden fame.

The comment by Lennon to a London newspaper in 1966 infuriated Christians, particularly in the United States, some of whom burned Beatles' albums in huge pyres.

But time apparently heals all wounds.

"The remark by John Lennon, which triggered deep indignation mainly in the United States, after many years sounds only like a 'boast' by a young working-class Englishman faced with unexpected success, after growing up in the legend of Elvis and rock and roll," Vatican daily Osservatore Romano said.

The article, marking the 40th anniversary of the Beatles' The White Album, went on to praise the pop band.

"The fact remains that 38 years after breaking up, the songs of the Lennon-McCartney brand have shown an extraordinary resistance to the passage of time, becoming a source of inspiration for more than one generation of pop musicians," it said.

Lennon was murdered in New York in 1980.

(Writing by Deepa Babington; editing by Keith Weir)

Source: Music Yahoo

Last edited by Waqar Daniel on Sun 23 Nov 2008, 12:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Waqar Daniel
Waqar Daniel
Administrator

Mood : I feel Blessed
Male

Number of posts : 2778
Profession : Consultant
Hobbies : Long drives, Gospel music, Bible study
Marital Status : Married
Registration date : 2007-06-25
Country : Vatican forgives John Lennon for Jesus remark RedCross-1

Warning : Vatican forgives John Lennon for Jesus remark 110

https://christian-talk.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Vatican forgives John Lennon for Jesus remark Empty Re: Vatican forgives John Lennon for Jesus remark

Post  blessed4ever Sun 23 Nov 2008, 12:47 pm

This is really a shameful act on the part of the Roman Catholic Church. It is encouraging others to say whatever they want to against Jesus and then endorsing them. Honestly I am ashamed of the act and remarks of the Roman Catholic Church "John Lennon was more famous than Jesus". God have mercy on this Church
blessed4ever
blessed4ever
Christian Talk Member

Male

Number of posts : 55
Marital Status : Still Looking
Registration date : 2007-07-16

Back to top Go down

Vatican forgives John Lennon for Jesus remark Empty Re: Vatican forgives John Lennon for Jesus remark

Post  stylz4christ Sun 23 Nov 2008, 12:58 pm

I agree that this is a shameful act on the part of Roman Ctholic Church. For centuries thay have brought shame to the name of Christianity. Like endorsing Mother Teressa as a Saint.
stylz4christ
Christian Talk Member

Male

Number of posts : 21
Marital Status : Divorcee
Registration date : 2007-07-09

Back to top Go down

Post  WordofLife Sun 23 Nov 2008, 4:55 pm

Shocking news, what is happening to this world? When John Lennon was never sorry for his remarks against Jesus then Roman Catholic Church is so worried to forgive him? Anyways, RCC does not represent Christianity.
WordofLife
WordofLife
Christian Talk Member

Male

Number of posts : 127

Back to top Go down

Post  LivinginChrist Sun 23 Nov 2008, 5:03 pm

John Lennon was never more famous than Jesus rather he suffered a lot due to his remarks.

John Lennon
Lennon complained that nobody heard them play for all the screaming, and their musicianship was beginning to suffer. By the time he wrote his 1965 song "Help!", he said he was subconsciously crying out for help and seeking change. The catalyst for this change occurred on 4 March 1966, when Lennon was interviewed for the London Evening Standard by Maureen Cleave, and talked about Christianity by saying: "Christianity will go. It will vanish and shrink. I do not know what will go first, rock 'n' roll or Christianity...We're more popular than Jesus now." Five months later, an American teen magazine called Datebook reprinted part of the quote on its front cover. The American Bible Belt protested in the South and Midwest, and conservative groups staged public burnings of Beatles' records and memorabilia. Many radio stations banned The Beatles' music, and some concert venues cancelled performances. At a press conference in Chicago, on 11 August 1966, Lennon addressed the growing controversy:

I was not saying whatever they're saying I was saying. I'm sorry I said it really. I never meant it to be a lousy anti-religious thing. I apologise if that will make you happy. I still do not know quite what I've done. I've tried to tell you what I did do, but if you want me to apologise, if that will make you happy, then OK, I'm sorry

Lennon later wrote, "I always remember to thank Jesus for the end of my touring days; if I hadn't said that The Beatles were 'bigger than Jesus' and upset the very Christian Ku Klux Klan, well, Lord, I might still be up there with all the other performing fleas! God bless America. Thank you, Jesus.

Wikipedia
LivinginChrist
LivinginChrist
Christian Talk Member

Male

Number of posts : 92

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down