Christian Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Meaning of "Godspeed"

Go down

Meaning of "Godspeed" Empty Meaning of "Godspeed"

Post  tina Sun 19 Jul 2009, 6:10 pm

Etymology

From Middle English, from "God speed you." (May God help you prosper.)

The Term "God Speed" originated in the Old Testament part of the Bible, in the book of Genesis 24:12in the King James Version, when Abraham's servant prayed for success when he was sent to find a wife for Abraham's son Isaac. The original Hebrew word for "speed" in this verse is pronounced "caw-raw" and it means "to land upon" or "to bring about": "And he said O LORD God of my master Abraham, I pray thee, send me good speed this day, and shew kindness unto my master Abraham." (Genesis 24:12 KJV).

Pronunciation

• IPA: /gɒdˈspi:d/
Interjection

Godspeed

1. An expression of good will when addressing someone, typically someone about to go on a journey or a daring endeavor.
  2. A Christian substitute to the otherwise sacrilegious "good luck", which implies that anything can be random and out of the hands of God. Used to express concern and prayer for someone. Evangelist, after he had kissed him, gave him one smile, and bid him God-speed. (John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress)"I'm wishing you God-speed, Hattersley," cried Arthur, "and aiding you with my prayers." (Anne Brontë, Tenant of Wildfell Hall)Rowland at the garden gate was giving his hostess Godspeed on her way to church. (Henry James, Roderick Hudson)Eight years before he had seen his friend off at the North Wall and wished him God-speed. (James Joyce, Dubliners) Godspeed, John Glenn. (Scott Carpenter)

Source: Godspeed - Wiktionary
tina
tina
Christian Talk Member

Mood : I feel Blessed
Female

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-10-02

Warning : Meaning of "Godspeed" 110

Back to top Go down