Christian Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It is well with my Soul- inspirational story

Go down

It is well with my Soul- inspirational story Empty It is well with my Soul- inspirational story

Post  Fenny West Thu 03 Sep 2009, 11:17 am

It is well with my Soul

When peace like a river attendeth my way
When sorrows like sea billows roll
What ever my lot you have taught me to say
It is well, it is well with my soul

Though the devil will ruin, though trials may come
Let this blessed assurance control
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate
And He shed His own Blood
for my soul

It is well, with my soul

My sin, oh the bliss of this glorious thought
My sin not in part but the whole
Is nailed to the cross and I bear it no more
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, oh my soul

It is well, with my soul

It is well with my soul

And Lord haste the day when my faith shall be sight
And the clouds be rolled back as a scroll
The trump shall resound and the Lord shall descend
Even so, it is well with my soul

It is well with my soul

It is well with my soul

This hymn was written after several traumatic events in Spafford’s life. The first was the death of his only son in 1871, shortly followed by the great Chicago Fire which ruined him financially (he had been a successful lawyer). Then in 1873, he had planned to travel to Europe with his family on the S.S. Ville du Havre, but sent the family ahead while he was delayed on business concerning zoning problems following the Great Chicago Fire. While crossing the Atlantic, the ship sank rapidly after a collision with a sailing ship, the Loch Earn, and all four of Spafford's daughters died. His wife Anna survived and sent him the now famous telegram, "Saved alone." Shortly afterwards, as Spafford traveled to meet his grieving wife, he was inspired to write these words as his ship passed near where his daughters had died.
Bliss called his tune Ville du Havre, from the name of the stricken vessel.[1]
The Spaffords later had three more children, one of whom (a son) died in infancy. In 1881 the Spaffords, including baby Bertha and newborn Grace, set sail for Palestine. The Spaffords moved to Jerusalem and helped found a group called the American Colony; its mission was to serve the poor. The colony later became the subject of the Nobel prize winning Jerusalem, by Swedish novelist Selma Lagerlöf.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/It_Is_Well_with_My_Soul

Regardless of what you face, look unto the Author and Finisher of your faith. It is well with your soul so long as you drink from the well of salvation. Salvation belongs to the Lord. He will not leave you nor forsake you. He will work through what you go through. He will work in you to work through you. The fires and the billows that rise will also fall and you will come out shining like gold, reflecting His beauty and glory. You will come out, a fire brand, a sharp threshing instrument with teeth, with the ability to beat mountains small. Yes, when you go through the waters, you will not drown. When you go through the fire, you will not be burnt. You are coming out to glorify your Maker and your God. Your trials are working for you, an exceeding weight of eternal glory. You may be hard-pressed, but you will not be crushed. You may be perplexed but you need not be in despair. You may be persecuted but the Lord your God will not abandon you - the work of His Hands. He said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you until the end of the age."

"In the world you will have tribulation but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world. Whoever is born of God overcomes this world; and this is the victory that overcomes the world, even your faith. The righteous may fall seven times but he rises again because of the greater One Who indwells him. Nay in all these things we are more than conquerors through Christ. There are more with you than are against you. Therefore, neither death, nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers present, nor powers impending or threatening, nor height nor depth nor anything in all creation shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus. Christ in you, the hope of glory. If God be for us, who can be against us? God is working EVERTHING together for the good of those who love God and who are called according to His purposes. Stand therefore to see the salvation of the Lord!
Spafford's God is also your God!

May the Holy Spirit quicken this prophetic word to you. in Jesus' Name.
fgwest
Fenny West
Fenny West
Christian Talk Moderators

Mood : I feel Blessed
Male

Number of posts : 1091
Profession : Writer/Teacher/singer/composer
Hobbies : Music
Marital Status : Single
Registration date : 2007-09-10
Country : It is well with my Soul- inspirational story RedCross-1