Christian Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

John 11:17-22

Go down

John 11:17-22 Empty John 11:17-22

Post  clark thompson Fri 11 Jul 2014, 2:42 am

John 11:17-22
KJV(i) 17 Then when Jesus came, he found that he had lain in the grave four days already. 18 Now Bethany was nigh unto Jerusalem, about fifteen furlongs off: 19 And many of the Jews came to Martha and Mary, to comfort them concerning their brother. 20 Then Martha, as soon as she heard that Jesus was coming, went and met him: but Mary sat still in the house. 21 Then said Martha unto Jesus, Lord, if thou hadst been here, my brother had not died. 22 But I know, that even now, whatsoever thou wilt ask of God, God will give it thee.

John 11:17-22New International Version (NIV)

Jesus Comforts the Sisters of Lazarus

17 On his arrival, Jesus found that Lazarus had already been in the tomb for four days. 18 Now Bethany was less than two miles from Jerusalem, 19 and many Jews had come to Martha and Mary to comfort them in the loss of their brother. 20 When Martha heard that Jesus was coming, she went out to meet him, but Mary stayed at home.

21 “Lord,” Martha said to Jesus, “if you had been here, my brother would not have died. 22 But I know that even now God will give you whatever you ask.”

New International Version (NIV)
Holy Bible, New International Version®, NIV® Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984, 2011 by Biblica, Inc.® Used by permission. All rights reserved worldwide.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

17 They would have put the body in the grave the same day of his death unless it was the Sabbath. He was at least dead for four days. At this time Christ had raised people from the dead but it was moments after they died, they were not put into the tomb yet.

18 They always stopped by here when going to Jerusalem but for Christ those they wanted Him dead were only a couple miles down the road.

19 This is still common today to comfort those we know who lost someone their cared about.

20 Martha may have wanted to know why Jesus did not come earlier or wanted to see what He would do. Mary may have heard Him coming and knowing her brother was dead decided there was nothing He could do.

21 Martha knew Jesus could heal the sick and knew He had power but put limits on His power. To many times we can see something and expect God to do something and we He does not then we lose hope but He can do far greater than what we expect of Him.

22 Martha knew that God was with Jesus and by Him He will be with us as well. Jesus is God. God will give what ask as long as it His will.
clark thompson
clark thompson
Christian Talk Member

Mood : Busy
Male

Number of posts : 143
Marital Status : Still Looking
Registration date : 2013-05-14

Warning : John 11:17-22 110

Back to top Go down