Christian Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peter: Sifted for Service

4 posters

Go down

Peter: Sifted for Service Empty Peter: Sifted for Service

Post  dove Fri 05 Oct 2007, 6:50 am

Have you ever experienced a situation that seemed impossible to endure? Years later, as you looked back on that event, did you realize how that trial prepared you for things to come?

The Scriptures tell us that the Lord will sometimes allow us to be "sifted" for greater service. In other words, He may give Satan permission to affect an area of our lives. God does this to strengthen our faith and transform us into stronger witnesses for Him.

In today's passage from the gospel of Luke, Jesus explains this process to Peter: "Satan has demanded permission to sift you like wheat; but I have prayed for you, that your faith may not fail; and you, when once you have turned again, strengthen your brothers."

Christ knew what was about to happen over the next few days--He would die on the cross, return to life, and then ascend to heaven. He expected Peter to be the leader of His disciples and to accomplish great things for the Kingdom. But Peter wasn't ready.

So the Lord allowed Satan to "sift" Peter. In so doing, God separated the "wheat" from the "chaff"--the righteous areas of Peter's life from the ungodly areas. Ultimately, the disciple grew stronger from the experience. He played a key role in spreading the gospel following Christ's death. And in the end, Peter died because of His faith.

Had God not allowed this time of sifting, Peter wouldn't have been prepared for the events to come. As you look back on your life, how has God prepared you for difficult times?

Dr. Charles Stanely
dove
dove
Christian Talk Member

Mood : I feel Blessed
Female

Number of posts : 246
Marital Status : Still Looking
Registration date : 2007-07-09

Warning : Peter: Sifted for Service 110

Back to top Go down

Peter: Sifted for Service Empty Re: Peter: Sifted for Service

Post  THE ROCK Fri 05 Oct 2007, 8:08 pm

Thank you dove for putting this nice message here. It is very informative and motivating.

God bless you and your family
THE ROCK
THE ROCK
Christian Talk Member

Male

Number of posts : 31
Marital Status : Still Looking
Registration date : 2007-07-14

Back to top Go down

Post  FaithfulSon Wed 17 Oct 2007, 4:35 am

The Scriptures tell us that the Lord will sometimes allow us to be "sifted" for greater service. In other words, He may give Satan permission to affect an area of our lives. God does this to strengthen our faith and transform us into stronger witnesses for Him.

I do not agree with this statement as God never tests us with evil. This is clearly stated in the Bible and I believe that God never put Peter to be sifted. He simply never wanted Peter to die with Him because then all the prophecies in the Old Testament would go wrong.

This is what I feel, please do not take it personally.

God bless you.
FaithfulSon
FaithfulSon
Christian Talk Member

Male

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2007-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post  thirsty Wed 17 Oct 2007, 4:40 am

I agree with you "Faithful" that God never tests us with evil. However, the article explains something else. It says that God strengthens us when we face hard times. I hope that you understand this now.

God bless
thirsty
thirsty
Christian Talk Member

Female

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2007-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content