Christian Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Art of Intimacy

+2
WordofLife
dove
6 posters

Go down

The Art of Intimacy Empty The Art of Intimacy

Post  dove Sat 27 Oct 2007, 7:33 pm

Is being nice bad for your health?

A recent study in the July report of Psychosomatic Medicine found that married women who bottled up their feelings after an argument were four times as likely to experience declining health as women who expressed their feelings openly.

This reluctance to express emotions and communicate openly is referred to as "self-silencing," and it has a devastating effect on our physical and emotional health. In fact, self-silencing has been linked to depression, eating disorders, and heart disease.

Despite these negative side effects, many couples still refrain from communicating honestly with their partner -- particularly if the needed communication is anything less than pleasant. Couples may fear expressing anger or sadness to their loved ones, as it may come across as criticism or judgment. However, without this crucial candor, relationships suffer and emotions fester.

So how can you communicate with your partner in a way that is kind but effective?

Be Authentic. When couples argue, they tend to get caught up in the "who, what, when, and why" of the argument, rather than truly expressing what the argument really makes them feel. Instead, couples should be more descriptive of their feelings, because that's the crux of the issue. For instance, rather than "I can't believe you were late for dinner and didn't call me! This is just like last month when you [insert past indiscretion here]." A better way to truly express your real feelings about your partner's lack of punctuality would be to say, "It makes me sad when you are late and I don't know where you are. I get worried and feel sick to my stomach."

Fight to Love, Not to Win. If you get into an argument with your spouse with the intention of proving how "right" you are, the argument will never be resolved. Instead, make love your goal during the dust-up. All couples fight, but there is a way to fight with harmony in mind. Insulting your partner, bringing up past fights, giving the silent treatment, or pretending like nothing is wrong are ineffective ways to solve an argument and merely add fuel to the fire.

Keep It Sweet. Utah researchers found that marital arguing style has a correlation to couples' heart health. Couples who argued with hostility (Think remarks like, "Don't you know anything, you idiot?") were more likely to experience poor cardiac health than couples who argued with kindness (Think remarks like, "What you said just now hurt me. Can we talk about it?"). This type of composure during an argument is certainly easier said than done, so have a few safety mechanisms in place ahead of time. For instance, agree to take a breather for 30 minutes when arguments start to spiral out of control, or use a safety word (perhaps a funny reference to your favorite comedy) to defuse the situation.

Lastly, be sure to end each argument or cold spell with your spouse with affection and gratitude. It is easy to forget appreciation and love when you are in the middle of a fight with your partner, which is why it is so important to express these emotions after the issue is resolved.

Dr. Laura Berman
dove
dove
Christian Talk Member

Mood : I feel Blessed
Female

Number of posts : 246
Marital Status : Still Looking
Registration date : 2007-07-09

Warning : The Art of Intimacy 110

Back to top Go down

The Art of Intimacy Empty Re: The Art of Intimacy

Post  WordofLife Sat 27 Oct 2007, 7:54 pm

Thank you Dove for sharing this and it is quite an interesting article.

God bless you
WordofLife
WordofLife
Christian Talk Member

Male

Number of posts : 127
Registration date : 2007-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post  saved Sat 27 Oct 2007, 8:20 pm

Well...what intimacy is there in FIGHTS? I would believe in the words of Bible to love our wives as we love ourselves and similar is for wives to love thier husbands. Don't you think so?

God bless you.
saved
saved
Christian Talk Member

Male

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2007-07-15

Back to top Go down

The Art of Intimacy Empty Thank you very much

Post  Fenny West Sat 19 Apr 2008, 11:48 am

That was refreshing and fulll of truths, Dove

Thank you for sharing

Fenny
Fenny West
Fenny West
Christian Talk Moderators

Male

Number of posts : 1091
Profession : Writer/Teacher/singer/composer
Hobbies : Music
Marital Status : Single
Registration date : 2007-09-10

http://inspiration4generations.com

Back to top Go down

Post  rcalo Tue 13 May 2008, 5:51 pm

I think fighting with your spouse is very intimate, who else do you feel so comfortable with to fight with in the same manner? I read somehwere that when you fight with your spouse you should always be toucing each other, either holding hands or a hand on a knee, I usually sit on my husbands lap. It helps keep the argument from getting mean, b/c when you are close to someone you respond more lovingly.
rcalo
rcalo
Christian Talk Member

Female

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2008-05-07

Back to top Go down

Post  4luv Thu 15 May 2008, 5:34 am

rcalo wrote:I think fighting with your spouse is very intimate, who else do you feel so comfortable with to fight with in the same manner? I read somehwere that when you fight with your spouse you should always be toucing each other, either holding hands or a hand on a knee, I usually sit on my husbands lap. It helps keep the argument from getting mean, b/c when you are close to someone you respond more lovingly.
HUH
4luv
Christian Talk Member

Female

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content