Christian Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Killed Jesus

3 posters

Go down

What Killed Jesus Empty What Killed Jesus

Post  lovingdove Sat 11 Apr 2009, 4:29 pm

By: Mike Aquilina

The ancient Romans had a special genius for torture. It helped them keep order in a vast empire. The public spectacle of extreme suffering — repeated with some regularity — served as a deterrent to would-be rebels and insurgents.

Crucifixion was the utmost refinement of the Roman art of torture. The Jewish historian Josephus called it "the most wretched of deaths." It was designed to cause the most pain in the most parts of the body over the longest period of time.

Crucifixion was humiliating, too, so it was usually reserved for slaves, lower-class criminals or those whose crimes were especially heinous. The stripped man was exposed, naked, to a boorish crowd that delighted in such spectacles. They cast stones at him, spat at him, jeered at him.

The end began when executioners extended the condemned man's arms and bound them to a wooden beam. Sometimes, they would also drive nails through the man's wrists at the highly sensitive median nerve. The executioner relied on the element of surprise for the first hammer blow. The victim was unlikely ever to have experienced such pain before. It was "the most unbearable pain that a man can experience," Barbet concluded.

Nailing the second arm, however, could pose a problem, because the nervous system would instinctively recoil from any repetition of that pain. The executioner would need to struggle against an arm rigidly resistant to his efforts. All of this wrangling, involuntary on the part of the victim, would intensify the pain in the arm already nailed.

The beam then was attached to a pole. Every shift of the beam renewed the pain in the median nerve. But all of that was just a prelude to the real torture of crucifixion.

The victim found himself suspended above the ground, his body slumped forward, his knees bent and his feet positioned as if he were standing on tiptoe. That position made it almost impossible for him to draw a breath.

"Crucifixion stretches the chest cavity open," McKeating explained, "and the weight of the body pulls down on the diaphragm so the lungs are kept open. It requires great effort to breathe in and even greater effort to exhale — which is normally a fairly passive process."

The victim could not breathe inward or outward without lifting his body up by the nails in his wrists and pushing up on the nail in his feet. With every breath, then, he felt the coarse metal tearing at his nerves.

Gradually, his limbs cramped and weakened. As he was less able to lift himself up, he began, slowly, to suffocate.

A victim of crucifixion alternated between the panicked sense of asphyxiation and the searing pain of the nails in his flesh. Relief from one inevitably brought about the other.

In a strong man, this could go on for many hours, even days. If the Romans wanted to accelerate the process, they would break the victim's legs so he could no longer push himself upward to take a breath.

Who killed Jesus?
Forensic scientists say that the better we know what killed someone, the more likely we are to find out who killed him.

Who killed Jesus? After a decade-and-a-half of study, McKeating doesn't hesitate to respond.

"I did," he said. "My sins did."

Article Source: What Killed Jesus
lovingdove
lovingdove
Christian Talk Member

Mood : I feel Blessed
Female

Number of posts : 78
Marital Status : Still Looking
Registration date : 2007-07-16

Warning : What Killed Jesus 110

Back to top Go down

What Killed Jesus Empty Re: What Killed Jesus

Post  annlovesjesus Sat 11 Apr 2009, 4:35 pm

Who Killed Jesus

"I did," he said. "My sins did."

This is really a nice post and I liked it very much and the conclusion too. I also want to share something very important here. Look at the picture below as it is an evidence of Jesus' death on the cross

What Killed Jesus Cross_10

Recent archaeological finds also show that the cross was a means of death at the time of Jesus.

"The first century catacomb uncovered by archaeologist P. Bagatti on the Mount of Olives contains inscriptions clearly indicating its use, 'by the very first Christians in Jerusalem.' A 'head stone', found near the entrance to the first century catacomb, is inscribed with the sign of the cross… Both archaeologists found evidence clearly dating the two catacombs to the first century AD, with the later finding coins minted by Governor Varius Gratus at the turn of the millenium (up to 15/16 AD). Evidence in both catacombs indicated their use for burial until the middle part of the first century AD, several years before the New Testament was written." http://www.leaderu.com/theology/burialcave.html (March 3rd 2006)
annlovesjesus
annlovesjesus
Christian Talk Member

Female

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2008-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post  stephen Sat 11 Apr 2009, 10:23 pm

Informative article and I agree that My sins killed Jesus and may it never happen in my life again.
stephen
stephen
Christian Talk Member

Male

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2007-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content