Christian Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Saul Sees the Light

Go down

Saul Sees the Light Empty Saul Sees the Light

Post  fennywest Sun 30 May 2010, 8:36 pm

Ac:9:1: And Saul, yet breathing out threatenings and slaughter against the disciples of the Lord, went unto the high priest,

Ac:9:2: And desired of him letters to Damascus to the synagogues, that if he found any of this way, whether they were men or women, he might bring them bound unto Jerusalem.

Ac:9:3: And as he journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven:

Ac:9:4: And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me?

Ac:9:5: And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks.

Ac:9:6: And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.

Ac:9:7: And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man.

Ac:9:8: And Saul arose from the earth; and when his eyes were opened, he saw no man: but they led him by the hand, and brought him into Damascus.

Ac:9:9: And he was three days without sight, and neither did eat nor drink.

Ac:9:10: And there was a certain disciple at Damascus, named Ananias; and to him said the Lord in a vision, Ananias. And he said, Behold, I am here, Lord.

Ac:9:11: And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the street which is called Straight, and enquire in the house of Judas for one called Saul, of Tarsus: for, behold, he prayeth,

Ac:9:12: And hath seen in a vision a man named Ananias coming in, and putting his hand on him, that he might receive his sight.

Ac:9:13: Then Ananias answered, Lord, I have heard by many of this man, how much evil he hath done to thy saints at Jerusalem:

Ac:9:14: And here he hath authority from the chief priests to bind all that call on thy name.

Ac:9:15: But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:

Ac:9:16: For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for my name's sake.

Ac:9:17: And Ananias went his way, and entered into the house; and putting his hands on him said, Brother Saul, the Lord, even Jesus, that appeared unto thee in the way as thou camest, hath sent me, that thou mightest receive thy sight, and be filled with the Holy Ghost.

Ac:9:18: And immediately there fell from his eyes as it had been scales: and he received sight forthwith, and arose, and was baptized.

Lessons

There is hope for anyone. If God can save a wicked religious bigot, fanatic and murderer like Paul, He can save anyone.v1-3

2. You can zeal without knowledge.v1-3

Paul and his followers are good examples. They were convinced they were doing the right thing. They were sincere but sincerely wrong.

3. It is more important to have a relationship with God than to have religion like Saul did. V1-3

4. Zeal without knowledge is dangerous. We can see this in the religious world around us where people kill others in the name of their god.v1-3

5. Spiritual sight is more important than natural sight. Paul was blind physically but for the first time his spiritual eyes were opened.v4

6. God has a time of visitation for everyone. Notice that the others who murdered with him were not saved at that time; v4

7. God has a perfect time for our lives.
He knew all along what Paul was doing and had the power to stop him, but did not until then. V4

8. God is all-powerful and all-knowing. No matter how influential and powerful Paul was then, God overpowered him in the fullness of time. vs4-5

9. When we are humble and surrendered, then God would reveal Himself further to us and use us.v5

10. The light Paul saw was symbolic of the Light of the World –Jesus. His encounter also shows one passing from darkness into God’s marvelous light.vs4-5

11. We also learn that when we persecute the Church, we persecute Jesus. Or when people are opposed to the Church they are opposing God. Also when people are opposed to you for being obedient to the Lord, you need to comfort yourself in the fact that they are opposing Your Master who sent you. Therefore do not take it personal. God knows how to deal with His enemies. V1-4

12. The enemies of God today may be His champion tomorrow, so look at people through the eyes of God and you will not lose hope. Think of the most wicked, perverted enemies of the Gospel. They could turn out to be trophies in God’s hand tomorrow, just like Paul.v1-5

13. We are co-workers with God. Paul had to be sent to Ananias to be prayed for to receive his sight. It was also to show Paul that God has lines of authority which should be recognized and submitted to. V17

14. Obedience brings blessings. As Paul obeyed the received his sight and went on to be the preacher of the Gospel. Vs8,11-17

15. ‘Never say, never.’ Not in a million years would you think Paul who opposed the Gospel, would be its champion. But we can see what God did with Paul. So, don’t mess with God.

16. God wants us to trust Him always. Ananias was afraid of Paul because of his past record as an enemy of the Gospel but he had to obey God.

17. God speaks in various ways and on this occasion He used vision, blinding light, audible voice. 3-6,10-17

Application

1. There is nothing too hard for the Lord. We need to trust God as we spread the Gospel in the face of opposition.

2. Those who oppose the Gospel we preach are opposing God, so we need to take heart.

3. Let us submit ourselves to be co-workers with God. It is a glorious privilege.

4. We need to examine ourselves whether we are just zealous without knowledge.

5. Am I born again or just religious? Have I seen the light like Paul did? vs1-3

6. Am I submitted to God’s ordained authority?4-5

7. My God is in control at all times. He is sovereign. No situation takes Him by surprise.

8. He will work out His purposes according to His timing.

9. We need to learn to hear God’s voice even today. I must not put God in a box but let Him be God and speak to me the way He chooses.

10. If you are a disciple of Jesus, you will be persecuted, unless you are compromising. It follows that persecution is a good sign that we are doing something right- tattling the cage of the enemy and this should bring joy.

Please post other lessons you can see from this passage and how we can apply them.

Thank you
fennywest
fennywest
Christian Talk Moderators

Mood : Amused
Male

Number of posts : 1725
Marital Status : Single
Registration date : 2009-10-19

Warning : Saul Sees the Light 110

http://www.inspiration4generations.com

Back to top Go down