Christian Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What did Adam and Eve eat?

3 posters

Go down

What did Adam and Eve eat? Empty What did Adam and Eve eat?

Post  Irv Everett Fri 15 Jul 2011, 5:37 pm

I was reading through some earlier posts and came across this one on the forbidden fruit. I enjoyed reading the post and conclusion of the forbidden fruit as to being the grape. The possibility of the grape being the forbidden fruit was well documented with scriptures. And I must agree with the author that the grape could have been the fruit; but no one really knows. The scriptures cited were right as to wine and strong drink; but I thought I might inject a different thought as to the fruit; and a much different conclusion. Could the fruit of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and of Evil be the fig? The fig and the fig tree are also well documented in scripture. And we could go into the different interpretations and what each might represent. I will forgo the scriptures to keep it simple, if you want we can inject them later. So what do we know?
We know that eating the fruit, either grape or fig; was against God’s command. We know Adam’s disobedience caused the fall of man. We know the fruit was desirable. It was tempting. We know when Adam and Eve ate of this forbidden fruit, they died a spiritual death not a physical one. We know they gained wisdom, which was the knowledge of good and evil, like God. We also know that Adam and Eve sewed fig leaves together to cover their nudity, to cover their sin. So let’s start here. Here was a tree in the midst of the garden which God had given his command they should not eat. And we know they ate it anyway. So what happened? The scriptures say their eyes were opened. They realized that they had sinned. They felt guilt. Through their new found knowledge they reasoned, they surmise, that they could reconcile their sin by using God’s precious tree’s leaves. They sewed the leaves together making aprons which would somehow bridge the gap back to their innocence. But we know Adam and Eve’s works were not acceptable to God; for when man fell, nothing of the Old Creation would be acceptable any more.
Enter Jesus. Remember the story of Jesus in the synagogue and the coin changers? Jesus had just made his entry into Jerusalem as King of the Jews. Jesus cleansed the temple. He discarded anything that was of the Old Creation, the societies, the governments and the humanistic religion of men. To be apart of the Kingdom Of God you had to experience the death, burial and resurrection. You had to become a new creature, a new man in Christ. I think, Jesus made this clear with his cursing of the fig tree. I think, Jesus remembered the fig tree in Genesis of Adam and Eve; of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. I believe its representation would have been of the efforts by man through works, to restore himself back to God. Jesus knew the outcome. He knew there was nothing but leaves on the fig tree and those same leaves, our works, was rejected by God in the garden. So Jesus cursed the fig tree and it would be no more. Jesus’ curse of the fig tree symbolized the end of the Old Creation covenant of works and ushered in the New Covenant of Grace. The fig leaves of the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil could not span the void, but God in his infinite wisdom did create a bridge. God used the Tree of Life. Jesus Christ is the leaf that now covers man’s sins. So I conclude that the scriptures about the leaves being sown are the indicator of the forbidden fruit and to it being the fig. The fig, the grape, the apple, etc; what do you think?
Irv Everett
Irv Everett
VIP

Mood : I feel Blessed
Male

Number of posts : 305
Profession : I'm a child of the KING
Hobbies : Loving my wife, son and grandbabies; Praising the Lord for HIS mercy and grace!
Marital Status : Married
Registration date : 2007-12-31

Warning : What did Adam and Eve eat? 110

Back to top Go down

What did Adam and Eve eat? Empty Re: What did Adam and Eve eat?

Post  hannielebed Sat 16 Jul 2011, 3:47 am

Your suggestion of the fig makes sense. I especially like the symbolism you refer to.

I'd like to propose that the forbidden fruit is a gourd.

It's possible that the forbidden fruit is not any fruit that is available to man anymore. It was only mentioned in the Garden of Eden and after man was cast out of the garden of Eden, an angel was posted with a flaming sword to prevent man from eating from the tree of life. It is highly possible that this same angel also prevents us from eating from the forbidden fruit.

But if the forbidden fruit is one that we still have available, the gourd is a good candidate. It is edible but it is often harmful. The Bible is full of stories of people eating gourds and getting sick. Even though the gourd is edible, it is possible that God never meant for us to eat it. This also fits with the fact that God never forbade the use of the forbidden fruit. He only forbade the eating of the forbidden fruit. Gourds are very useful fruit, one of the most useful fruits out there. It's just not a very good fruit to be eaten.
hannielebed
hannielebed
Christian Talk Member

Mood : Amused
Male

Number of posts : 29
Marital Status : Divorcee
Registration date : 2011-03-08

Back to top Go down

Post  Waqar Daniel Tue 19 Jul 2011, 6:12 pm

I have written in detail on this topic and you can find the discussion at "What did Adam and Eve eat?".

I believe it were grapes as it is mentioned in the Bible
What do you mean by repeating this proverb concerning the land of Israel, 'The fathers have eaten sour grapes, and the children's teeth are set on edge'? As I live, declares the Lord GOD, this proverb shall no more be used by you in Israel. Behold, all souls are mine; the soul of the father as well as the soul of the son is mine: the soul who sins shall die. (Ezekiel 18:2-3)
Similarly Jesus called Himself vine
I am the vine, you are the branches; he who abides in Me and I in him, he bears much fruit, for apart from Me you can do nothing.? (John 15:5)
If Jesus is vine and we are the branches - so what fruit shall we produce?
Waqar Daniel
Waqar Daniel
Administrator

Mood : I feel Blessed
Male

Number of posts : 2778
Profession : Consultant
Hobbies : Long drives, Gospel music, Bible study
Marital Status : Married
Registration date : 2007-06-25

https://christian-talk.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down