Christian Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Remember the Sabbath Day

+4
saved
AngelicSmile
thirsty
sophie
8 posters

Go down

Remember the Sabbath Day Empty Remember the Sabbath Day

Post  sophie Sun 16 Mar 2008, 12:18 am

Remember the Sabbath Day by keeping it holy...
My question is that when God of the Bible commanded all christians to follow this rule in the Ten commandments then why does the church preach against the sabbath day (Saturday)? Wasn't Saturday to be dedicated to God of the Bible? Then why does the church hold its service on Sunday?
sophie
Christian Talk Member

Mood : I feel Blessed
Female

Number of posts : 25
Profession : Medicine Doctor
Hobbies : Reading
Registration date : 2007-12-17

Warning : Remember the Sabbath Day 110

Back to top Go down

Remember the Sabbath Day Empty Re: Remember the Sabbath Day

Post  thirsty Sun 16 Mar 2008, 12:22 am

One man considers one day more sacred than another; another man considers every day alike. Each one should be fully convinced in his own mind. (Romans 14:5)

It makes no difference if you keep sabbath on saturday or sunday and which church is preaching against sabbath?

God bless
thirsty
thirsty
Christian Talk Member

Female

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2007-07-16

Back to top Go down

Post  AngelicSmile Sun 16 Mar 2008, 12:25 am

We are free in Jesus Christ and we not slave to days or festivals. The Bible says
Col. 2:16 Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day.
AngelicSmile
AngelicSmile
Christian Talk Member

Female

Number of posts : 80

Back to top Go down

Post  saved Sun 16 Mar 2008, 12:30 am

Question: Why don't I keep sabbath?

Answer: I am not a Jew
saved
saved
Christian Talk Member

Male

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2007-07-15

Back to top Go down

Remember the Sabbath Day Empty Worship God every day

Post  servant Sun 16 Mar 2008, 4:40 am

I believe that we as Christians are supposed to worship God every day , every hour of our lives with every breath we take. God is to be worshiped continuously, not just on Saturday or Sunday. Servant
servant
Christian Talk Member

Male

Number of posts : 87
Hobbies : Deep Bible Study
Registration date : 2008-01-13

Back to top Go down

Post  Waqar Daniel Sun 16 Mar 2008, 2:41 pm

The Church never preaches against Sabbath and I do not know from you got the idea. I have already written on the topic but just for you, I will write it again.

To start with the word Saturday is from Roman calendar and Jews followed a Lunar calendar and not a solar calendar like Romans. So therefore, in Old Testament, the word Saturday is not mentioned.

"Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labor, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it." Exodus 20:8-11

The verse (Exodus 20:8-11) only mentions one day of rest and that can be any day. God did not use any day of calendar. He simply said to set aside one day as a rest day. He is our creator and knows the limitations of our bodies.

The Hebrew word for Sabbath is SHABAT. It means to cease or desist from work. So any day can be Sabbath. We only have to stop doing our regular work and cease from hum drum of monotony of day-to-day professional lives.

Theologically speaking, if Sabath was Saturday, it automaticlly converted to Sunday when Joshua stopped the sun to go down for one whole day.
"At that time Joshua spoke to the Lord in the day when the Lord gave the Amorites over to the sons of Israel, and he said in the sight of Israel,

Sun, stand still at Gibeon,
and moon, in the Valley of Aijalon.
And the sun stood still, and the moon stopped,
until the nation took vengeance on their enemies." [Joshua 10:12-13]
Joshua asked God to stop the sun to go down, so therefore even if the Jews had Sabath on Saturday, it automatically shifts to Sunday.

Now some scientist who regarded Joshua's story as a fable and mocked at it, performed an experiment, What they found out was stunning to them. They found out that the one day in the history was 23 hours and 20 minutes long. By day I refer to Sunlight, it lasted for 23 hours and 20 minutes.

Herald Hill, President of Curtis President Engine Company in Baltimore Maryland, and a consultant in the space program held this experiment with several other space scientists.

I hope it is now clear that Sunday, scientifically is Sabath and I am not concerned with the discussion who shifted Saturday to Sunday.
Waqar Daniel
Waqar Daniel
Administrator

Male

Number of posts : 2778
Profession : Consultant
Hobbies : Long drives, Gospel music, Bible study
Marital Status : Married
Registration date : 2007-06-25

https://christian-talk.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Raymond Sun 30 Mar 2008, 7:54 pm

If I may comment on a few points on this topic as I have made it a study of considerable length having being challenged on this point. 'Sola sciptura' is my rule of faith though speculation is worthy in light of what God clearly reveals, but not for doctine.

"It shall be unto you a Sabbath of rest, and ye shall afflict your souls: in the ninth day of the month at even, from even unto even, shall ye celebrate your Sabbath." Lev 23:32

We are not given to measuring a day by human reckoning. A day is measured by the sun's setting. If God chose to delay the setting of the sun, it's still a day. Whatever day the stopping of the sun occurred on to assist Joshua, the cycle was not broken as history and science verifies.

Second, Col 2:16 is one of the most misquoted scriptures in the New Testament. There is the text and then there is the context.

Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.” Col 2:8

And having spoiled principalities and powers, He made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it. Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, or of the Sabbath days:” Col 2:15,16

This is a blow, through Christ as revealed in the gospels, to manmade rules and regulation on these matters and we are not to judge each other regarding them. You are to use scripture alone to determine you course of action on these topics.

Third, the Sabbath was created at the beginning of the world along with marriage. If you were arguing marriage was created for the Jews and wasn’t binding it would be considered a heresy. And yet Christians claim the Sabbath was made for the Jews. We must take what Jesus plainly said:

And He said unto them, The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath:” Mark 2:27
It is absolutely imperative we all use ‘sola scritura’ to confront objectors to our beliefs and not make statements that can easily be refuted by minimal knowledge of Christ’s own words. Sophie is fully justified in challenging such diversity in belief. We are not justified in making statements that are contradictory to the plain word of God.

One final point. We must be honest with scripture whether we agree, follow, proclaim or ignore. Exodus 20:8-11 clearly states the seventh day is the Sabbath and all the protestation in the world will not make it say anything else.
Raymond
Christian Talk Member

Male

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-02-23

Back to top Go down

Post  lisa1880 Sun 30 Mar 2008, 10:00 pm

I think Raymond you drifted away too far from the topic. Sabbath simply means a rest day, whichever day you pick. I cannot comment on Joshua 10:12-13 as I am not a science expert but I know that there are parts of this world where there is no sunlight for a period of time. They do not regard it one long night but they use the normal calendar to measure the day. In some parts of the world, the sun goes down very late and nights are very short, again it does not mean that it is a single day. The time never stops whether it is sunlight for six months or no sunlight for six month.

God bless
lisa1880
lisa1880
Christian Talk Member

Female

Number of posts : 122

Back to top Go down

Post  Waqar Daniel Mon 31 Mar 2008, 1:52 am

Dear Raymond

Thank you for your kind thoughts and basing your answer on Sola Scriptura. I agree with you that Word of God, the Bible, does not need an outside support. However, I do not agree with you that using an outside logic, makes it a deceptive philosophy, based on human traditions as you also quoted Colossians 2:8. Please before commenting on a post, read the objection first:
Sophie wrote:My question is that when God of the Bible commanded all christians to follow this rule in the Ten commandments then why does the church preach against the sabbath day (Saturday)? Wasn't Saturday to be dedicated to God of the Bible? Then why does the church hold its service on Sunday?
Sophie asked a simple question, why Sunday is regarded as Sabbath and not Saturday. As I wrote
The verse (Exodus 20:8-11) only mentions one day of rest and that can be any day. God did not use any day of calendar. He simply said to set aside one day as a rest day. He is our creator and knows the limitations of our bodies.
If you live in a muslim country, the seventh day is Friday, so you rest on Fridays. So now Friday has become Sabbath. If you live in Western world, Sunday is the seventh day, as the calendar says so, therefore, Sunday is Sabbath.

There is this confusion among people, they think that Sabbath is a Hebrew translation of Saturday. Sabbath simply means "rest day" and nothing more. That is why Sophie wrote about Saturday being Sabbath. Please do understand that Sophie is an Atheist and quoting verses from the Bible to her is of no use as she does not believe in the Bible. She would simply go that Bible changed as it travelled through the time. She believes in science and that is why I quoted her an authentic scientific experiment.
See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this word than on Christ (Col 2:8)
Do you call proving God's existence, from other sources deceptive and based on human traditions? With all due regards, read ACTS where Paul talks about the "Unknown god" while preaching about God. Sophie is not justified in challenging God and putting up deceptive questions and neither are you in using "Sola Scriptura".

God bless you
Waqar Daniel
Waqar Daniel
Administrator

Male

Number of posts : 2778
Profession : Consultant
Hobbies : Long drives, Gospel music, Bible study
Marital Status : Married
Registration date : 2007-06-25