Christian Talk
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Greatest Burden

3 posters

Go down

The Greatest Burden Empty The Greatest Burden

Post  thirsty Mon 15 Sep 2008, 4:35 pm

For Christ is not entered into the holy places made with hands, which are the figures of the true; but into heaven itself, now to appear in the presence of God for us: Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others; For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath he appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of himself. And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment: So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation. (Hebrews 9:24-28)

At different points in life, everyone carries a burden of one kind or another. Some suffer after the death of a loved one; others face rejection or loneliness. But the burden that impacts an individual more profoundly than any life circumstance is the emotional and spiritual weight that comes from sin.

Biblically, "sin" means an action or thought that deviates from the Lord's standard of righteousness. Since no one is perfect, sinfulness affects us all; allowed to linger, it will fester and destroy lives.

Iniquity results in separation from the heavenly Father (Ps. 66:18). God is perfect and holy; just as light and darkness are incompatible, His perfection cannot function with our imperfection. This is why He does not answer the prayer of a person living in sin. What's more, sinners are under God's wrath (John 3:36) and ultimately sentenced to eternal death, or unending separation from Him. This righteous judgment would leave all humanity hopeless. But the Father, because of His great love, provided a way to Himself.

He sent His Son Jesus as a sacrificial lamb: His blood paid the penalty for every wrong committed throughout history. Christ is the substitute for everyone who trusts Him as Savior. In other words, Jesus is the bridge to God. In John 14:6, He says, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me."

God graciously saves those who receive Jesus. Though believers still sin, they are forgiven. Have you allowed the Lord to free you from the weight of iniquity?

Extra column: On the Burden of Sin

"In weighing our sins let us not use a deceitful balance, weighing at our own discretion what we will, and how we will, calling this heavy and that light: but let us use the divine balance of the holy scriptures, as taken from the treasury of the Lord, and by it weigh every offence, nay, not weigh, but rather recognize what has been already weighed by the Lord." --Augustine of Hippo

"Sin is not weakness, it is a disease; it is red-handed rebellion against God and the magnitude of that rebellion is expressed by Calvary's cross." --Oswald Chambers

"We have a strange illusion that mere time cancels sin . . . But mere time does nothing either to the fact or to the guilt of sin. The guilt is washed out not by time but by repentance and the blood of Christ." --C. S. Lewis

"Looking at the wound of sin will never save anyone. What you must do is look at the remedy." --D. L. Moody

"By nature I was too blind to know Him, too proud to trust Him, too obstinate to serve Him, too base-minded to love Him." --John Newton

"Any time we attempt to meet our own needs or accomplish anything without God, we sin and set ourselves up for failure." --Charles F. Stanley

Dr. Charles Stanley
thirsty
thirsty
Christian Talk Member

Mood : I feel Blessed
Female

Number of posts : 212
Registration date : 2007-07-16

Warning : The Greatest Burden 110

Back to top Go down

The Greatest Burden Empty Re: The Greatest Burden

Post  LivinginChrist Mon 15 Sep 2008, 4:39 pm

"Sin is not weakness, it is a disease; it is red-handed rebellion
against God and the magnitude of that rebellion is expressed by
Calvary's cross." --Oswald Chambers

What a beautiful thought and it is so true and I strongly believe in it. The article is faith inspiring and I liked it very much and thank you for posting it here.

In our Christ
LivinginChrist
LivinginChrist
Christian Talk Member

Male

Number of posts : 92

Back to top Go down

Post  ChristianLady Mon 15 Sep 2008, 4:52 pm

Really wonderful article and I enjoyed it a lot. It directs us towards the light and we all need to follow the light. Thank you for posting it here.

God bless
ChristianLady
ChristianLady
Christian Talk Member

Female

Number of posts : 238

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content